[sci.misc] Anti-Japanese prejudice

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (04/21/88)

In article <111@avsd.UUCP> govett@avsd.UUCP writes:

>> Does anyone have a reference showing that Japanese, either as a race
>> or as a culture "have a very bad problem with creativity"?   Come to that,
>> does anyone have a reference to Japanese acknowledging that?   Unless
>> they do, I am inclined to write this off as unthinking racism.   Everything
            me too.
>> I have seen recently in science and engineering leads me to think that Japanese
>> have absolutely no problem with creativity, and I think that the onus is
>> on someone who thinks that they do to produce some evidence for it.
>>

>Many Japanese have commented on the rigidity of the Japanese educational
>system and the consequent lack of creativity.  It's difficult to discuss
>creativity objectively because it's difficult to define and quantify.
>
>However, one can generalize in the area of science and technology.
>It's difficult to think of many scientific "breakthroughs" or
>technologies that originated in Japan.

There have been many excellent Japanese mathematicians.

The name that I would put first is Hironaka, who proved an important
theorem in algebraic geometry.  Then there's Miyaoka (?), who seems
to have come damn close to proving the Fermat conjecture just
recently.

Other names I recall are Kodaira, Kuranishi, Kobayashi, Nomizu,
Tomita, Shimura, Nagata, Nakayama,...

>Until that changes, Japan will remain subject to charges of freeloading
>on the basic research of the U.S. and Europe.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ...!rutgers!petsd!cjh

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (04/25/88)

> >Many Japanese have commented on the rigidity of the Japanese educational
> >system and the consequent lack of creativity.  It's difficult to discuss
> >creativity objectively because it's difficult to define and quantify.
I got into a discussion of this issue with a friend of mine who's a professor
at Tokyo University (geophysics). He felt that a lot of the problem was
related to the monolithic structure of Japanese industry. Much of the inn-
ovation in American technology comes from small firms which apparently are
virtually unknown in Japan where giants such as Mitsubishi dominate.