[sci.misc] Mantras Sacred and Profane. Was: Transcendental Meditation....

russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) (04/13/88)

From article <549@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, by hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (|-|ugh):
> I once saw a TM honcho being interviewed on a late-night talk show.  He
> was talking about mantras, and said that when you start doing TM they
> put a lot of time and effort into finding a unique mantra specially for
> you.  If you chant the wrong mantra you will supposedly screw yourself
> up.  The guy told a story about someone who chanted "Coca-cola" as a
> mantra with dire consequences.

> Some years later I heard that in fact the TM organization only has 9
> stock mantras that they assign based on what age group you're in.  I'm
> sure you could chant anything you wanted and it wouldn't make any
> difference one way or the other.

Mantras all depend on purring "m" or "n" sounds (prefixed by vowels) to
achieve their soothing effects.  Classical examples include "aum",
"hum", and "om", which are revered in the religions of India and Tibet,
as well as "Mom" and "OM-my-God" (as when you stub your toe).  The
latter sounds, BTW, are unintentioned mantras that deliver surefire but
fleeting results for the "uninitiated".  For sceptics, the mantric
effect is well documented, in anthropological, scientific, and medical,
as well as religious, literature.  (Bibliographies available on
request).

Do you think dishonest, self-centered, Madison Avenue marketing types
with a knowledge of ancient "witchcraft" would ever stoop to capitalize
on the wholesome response of humans to mantric sounds for the purpose of
creating a tradename with a subliminally powerful appeal?  Gee, a
"mantric" name would lull prospective customers with a false sense of
maternal security and rack up lots of undeserved sales among the
unsuspecting.

After perusing some of the possible sound combinations (ibm, for
starters!) I have to conclude that Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the foremost
proponent of TM, must have been right!  The wrong choice of a mantra
COULD have dire consequences for those under the spell.

PS -- The original poster of the TM query should look through old
Beetles albums for a song with the title and words "Jai Guru Dev,
nothing's going to change my life".  Those lyrics were a play on words
derived from the Beetles' own experience with TM under the direct
tutelage of Maharishi in the late 60's.  The "nothing" referred to in
the song is the "bliss" state of consciousness ("samadhi" in Sanscrit
texts) which is achieved as a result of silent mantric "chanting".  In
the "samadhi" state, one is aware without being aware of objects in the
surroundings, ie, one is aware of no-thing.  Get it?  (grin) "Jai Guru
Dev" means "Hail Guru Dev", Dev being the Hindu Yogi who had taught TM
to Maharishi many years before.

Hope this helps.
--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, POB 306, Metairie, LA 70004
AT&T:   +1 504 456 0001

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (04/15/88)

In article <404@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP writes:

>From article <549@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, by hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (|-|ugh):
>
>Mantras all depend on purring "m" or "n" sounds (prefixed by vowels) to
>achieve their soothing effects.  Classical examples include "aum",
>"hum", and "om", which are revered in the religions of India and Tibet,
>as well as "Mom" and "OM-my-God" (as when you stub your toe).  The
>latter sounds, BTW, are unintentioned mantras that deliver surefire but
>fleeting results for the "uninitiated".  For sceptics, the mantric
>effect is well documented, in anthropological, scientific, and medical,
>as well as religious, literature.  (Bibliographies available on
>request).
Here are some roll-your-own mantras:
"scummmmmmm!!"
"dummmmb problemmmm! dummmmmmmmmb!"
"dummmmmm te dummm dummmmmm" (Dragnet theme)

>After perusing some of the possible sound combinations (ibm, for
>starters!) I have to conclude that Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the foremost
>proponent of TM, must have been right!
Well, there's another: "tee- emmmmmmmm!"
>   The wrong choice of a mantra
>COULD have dire consequences for those under the spell.

Yes indeed, consider James Thurber's _The_Secret_Life_of_Walter_Mitty_.
This is a report on the counter-productive effect of trying to
meditate on the mantra "ta pocketa pocketa."

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ...!rutgers!petsd!cjh

linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) (04/27/88)

In article <404@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:

>For sceptics, the mantric
>effect is well documented, in anthropological, scientific, and medical,
>as well as religious, literature.  (Bibliographies available on
>request).
Please post Bibliography. I'm sure sceptics and non-sceptics alike would
be interested.

(Apart from which I have to write an essay on Mantra :-)

Thanks,

Linda. (Brunel University, Middlesex, England)