[sci.misc] Digression

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/11/88)

In article <1294@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>... the term comes from cards, not racism, (where it was later attributed to).

Ah, but where did the *cards* come from?

In fact the origin is not racist but classist.  Swords (now Clubs)
symbolised the nobility; Diamonds, the merchants; Cups (Hearts), the
Priesthood, and of course, Spades, the working class: the farmers.

What matters now is whether the term is perceived as racist by
those who might perceive it as racist (a rather circular question,
but that which is considered offensive has never been based on logic).

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/12/88)

In article <11010@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
}>In article <472@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
}>>Nit pick:  "Calling a spade a spade" is a racist cliche'.
}In article <1294@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
}>... the term comes from cards, not racism, (where it was later attributed to).
}Ah, but where did the *cards* come from?
}In fact the origin is not racist but classist.  Swords (now Clubs)
}symbolised the nobility; Diamonds, the merchants; Cups (Hearts), the
}Priesthood, and of course, Spades, the working class: the farmers.

This is not what my book* on the Tarot deck says.  It says clubs
derive from wands, and spades from swords.  The former represent
creative power, the latter force of any kind.  Those who are enthused
about the Tarot deck generally attribute its origins to a period long
before the late middle ages, when the class system alluded to above
was in operation in Europe.

*One of Waite's.

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (04/14/88)

In article <794@actnyc.UUCP>, gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

>                                           ...  Those who are enthused
> about the Tarot deck generally attribute its origins to a period long
> before the late middle ages, when the class system alluded to above
> was in operation in Europe.

Yep, and those who are enthused about astrology generally attribute its
origins to ancient (like, millenially B.C.) Egypt.

--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/14/88)

>In article <11010@mimsy.UUCP> I wrote:
>}Ah, but where did the *cards* come from?
>}In fact the origin is not racist but classist.
[I deleted the various details]

In article <794@actnyc.UUCP> gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
>This is not what my book* on the Tarot deck says.  It says clubs
>derive from wands, and spades from swords.  The former represent
>creative power, the latter force of any kind.
>*One of Waite's.

I made a number of errors in <11010@mimsy.UUCP>, although the origin of
the modern playing card (i.e., the reason we have the precise suits
that we do) is indeed classist.  The older symbolism may not have been
so, but that which survives in the standard English decks is.  (I
had carefully refrained from mentioning Tarot cards to avoid digressing
within the digression :-) .)

I am not sure about the clubs-from-wands bit, but the spades-from-
swords is rather likely.  (If anyone cares, a bit more information
can be found in _The_Straight_Dope_ by Cecil Adams.  It may be in
the `humour' section of your local bookstore, although it only
halfway belongs there.  A fun book, if not very deep.  I may post
the few paragraphs he has on the cards later.)

>Those who are enthused about the Tarot deck generally attribute its
>origins to a period long before the late middle ages ....

Some claim the early Egyptians had them, although there is no real
evidence for this, as far as I know.  I would not trust any of Arthur
Waite's claims without other corroboration; he was often more
enthusiastic than accurate (somewhat like me :-) ).  Various of his
proclamations seem to contradict each other.  What we do know is that
the modern cards evolved from Tarot decks sometime around the 1500s
and were more or less fixed by the 1800s (one can speculate here on the
effect of widely available printing presses and leisure time in the
expanding bourgeoise).

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) (04/16/88)

In article <794@actnyc.UUCP> gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

>This is not what my book* on the Tarot deck says (about the meanings of
>card suits - jack) Those who are enthused
>about the Tarot deck generally attribute its origins to a period long
>before the late middle ages, when the class system alluded to above
>was in operation in Europe.

>*One of Waite's.

Waite was lying, as usual. See Michael Dummett's "The Game of Tarot" for a
detailed and scholarly account of the *real* story behind the Tarot deck.
The "Egyptian" origin of the cards, and their "occult" significance, are a
late 17th-century French fabrication.
--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (04/18/88)

In article <3060@whutt.UUCP> mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:

>Yep, and those who are enthused about astrology generally attribute its
>origins to ancient (like, millenially B.C.) Egypt.

Ah, but if we assume that the astrological zodiac originally bore
some resemblence to the actual stars, then its origin can be guessed
pretty well.  When was Aries really March 22 .. April 21?  In about
200 BC, give or take a couple of centuries.  That would make it a
piece of Hellenistic syncretism (which sounds likely to me, I confess)

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (04/19/88)

+
+ >Yep, and those who are enthused about astrology generally attribute its
+ >origins to ancient (like, millenially B.C.) Egypt.
+
+ Ah, but if we assume that the astrological zodiac originally bore
+ some resemblence to the actual stars, then its origin can be guessed
+ pretty well.  When was Aries really March 22 .. April 21?  In about
+ 200 BC, give or take a couple of centuries.  That would make it a
+ piece of Hellenistic syncretism (which sounds likely to me, I confess)

You have it reasonably well pegged.  First evidence of anything much like
what we call astrology (as distinct from Mesopotamian omen reading) is from
shortly after 300 B.C., and it developed rapidly from there.  See Otto
Neugebauer's works (titles escape me at the moment, but anything of his
is interesting.)

--

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/19/88)

In article <3060@whutt.UUCP> mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:
} In article <794@actnyc.UUCP>, gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
} >                                           ...  Those who are enthused
} > about the Tarot deck generally attribute its origins to a period long
} > before the late middle ages...
} >
} Yep, and those who are enthused about astrology generally attribute its
} origins to ancient (like, millenially B.C.) Egypt.

Many ancient civilizations were _known_ to practice a combination of
astronomy and astrology, of which they left detailed records, and, I
am told, some usable observations.  But I don't think there is any
direct record of either Tarot cards and images, or the related Cabala,
before the Middle Ages.  Of course, those who are _really_ enthused
about the Tarot attribute its origin to Hermes Trismegistus.

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (04/22/88)

In article <5101@aw.sei.cmu.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
> In article <3060@whutt.UUCP> mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:

> Ah, but if we assume that the astrological zodiac originally bore
> some resemblence to the actual stars...

Well, you are going to have to look into various calendar systems.

And remember that the Zodiacal stuff goes back as far as Enoch talking
to, er.. "the watchers"  (nuther subject)

You ever read "The Sirius Mystery?"

--a start on the concepts of questions pertaining to original information
and knowledge.

a start.

In article <3077@whutt.UUCP>, mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:
> In article <5101@aw.sei.cmu.edu+, firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
> + In article <3060@whutt.UUCP> mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:

> + Ah, but if we assume that the astrological zodiac originally bore
> + some resemblence to the actual stars, then its origin can be guessed
> + pretty well.  When was Aries really March 22 .. April 21?  In about

You must remember that the original Zodaic did not contain all it does
today.. and hence you must look at what was the oldest record.. and
its intent.

> You have it reasonably well pegged.  First evidence of anything much like
> what we call astrology (as distinct from Mesopotamian omen reading) is from
> shortly after 300 B.C., and it developed rapidly from there.  See Otto
> Neugebauer's works (titles escape me at the moment, but anything of his
> is interesting.)

Not so, the usage goes back to the times of several thousand B.C.

If I must, I will have to go home and start posting from my rather
unusual library of science, psuedo-science, archaeology, history,

etc. etc..

+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (04/25/88)

In article <1439@uop.edu>, todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:

> If I must, I will have to go home and start posting from my rather
> unusual library of science, psuedo-science, archaeology, history,

Yes, you must :-)  Babylonian prognostications based on (linear approximation)
phenomena calculations ("phenomena" include rising/setting times, eclipses,
and such like) go back into (but not far into) the 2nd millenium B.C.  If you
care to call omen reading (for success in war, etc., directed at the ruler of
a country, with reference entirely to events of nationwide significance)
astrology, you can make a case for it extending back to then.  And if you get
thoroughly vague about "people responding to regularities in the sky" as being
astrology, you can of course "find" astrology in many cultures stretching back
to megalithic Europe.

BUT the notion of an astronomical configuration corresponding to an individual
and in some sense following that individual through life as a determinant in
the individual's fortune (I've been non-sexist here; actually all the original
cases are for males) goes back to circa 300 B.C. -- the first one known is on
a mountainside carving glorifying one of the Seleucids (Antiochos umpty-umpth.)
The classical form of the horoscope developed very rapidly in the next 100-200
years.  Read Neugebauer for the data (and especially for the fascinating story
of the development of Mesopotamian astronomy.)

--

livesey@sun.uucp (Jon Livesey) (04/27/88)

In article <3103@whutt.UUCP>, mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:
> In article <1439@uop.edu>, todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>
> BUT the notion of an astronomical configuration corresponding to an individual
> and in some sense following that individual through life as a determinant in
> the individual's fortune (I've been non-sexist here; actually all the original
> cases are for males) goes back to circa 300 B.C. -- the first one known is on
> a mountainside carving glorifying one of the Seleucids (Antiochos umpty-umpth.)
> The classical form of the horoscope developed very rapidly in the next 100-200
> years.  Read Neugebauer for the data (and especially for the fascinating story
> of the development of Mesopotamian astronomy.)

	Neugebauer O. "The Exact Science in Antiguity" Dover 1969.

	Neugebauer O. "A History of Ancient Mathematical Astronomy"
		Springer-Verlag 1975.

	Leaving aside the motivations, one of the most striking aspects of
Babylonian astronomy was the primitive nature of the tools employed.   They
seem to have made do with the sun-stick [gnomon]; an upright stick whose
shadow, which one can measure on successive days, traces out a projection
of the locus of the Sun's path.   If you sit in a churchyard, you can
imagine that you feel the motion of the Earth, by carefully watching the
movement of the shadow of the spire of the church.  Even if you don't do
very exact measurement, you can catch the extreme positions of the Sun's
shadow each day, to tell noon, and the extreme positions for the year, which
are at the Equinoxes.   Ptolemy(*) calculated the diameter of the Earth
(wrongly) based on the lengths of shadows cast by a gnomon at Alexandria,
compared to one farther South at (I think) Suez.

	After a few years' experience with a gnomon, you can forecast
planting season, and so on.  Identical sun-sticks are in use in 'stone age'
societies to this day, for example, Borneo.  There are ample reasons to
do simple practical astronomy, without dragging in astrology, although
the astrologers will always be on the fringes somewhere.

	It's also true that you can use the night-time analogue of the
gnomon, a hole to squint through, and a vertical shaft, to make sightings
of stars.   However, you only want to track a few objects, and the obvious
ones will be the Moon, Venus, and some others.   Alternatively, you can just
track major events which need no instruments at all, rises, settings, and
eclipses.     To get precision, you have to track the same objects for a
very long time, in the (perhaps unconscious) hope that the various systematic,
as well as random, errors will cancel out.  That's what the Babylonians did
systematically from around 700bc onwards.

	Fortunately, long-lived empires encourage record-keeping, and even
when the Babylonian Empire fell, first to Cyrus the Great, around 550bc, and
later to Alexander, around 330bc, the conqueror appears to have encouraged
bureaucratic, religious, and scientific continuity, for political reasons.
(Alexander did the same in Egypt, of course)     One way or another, records
survived, and observations continued to be made.    Around 150ad, Ptolemy(*)
said he had records of eclipses back to 747bc.   Observations over such a
long period were enough to allow the development of his deterministic (but
incorrect) theory of planetary motion, based on epicycles.

	As well as eclipses, the Babylonians collected observations of Venus
accurate enough to allow dating of earlier records back to around 2000bc.  The
Babylonians themselves might not have been able to carry out this dating over
very long periods since they had no very good model of the movement of astronomical
bodies, yet astronomical prediction is always an attractive goal, and the next
few hundred years of astronomy saw the development of such models, mainly by
the Greeks, the Arabs, and finally Western Europe.   For an introduction to
the development of increasingly sophisticated Greek cosmologies, leading up
to the present day, you can do worse than the following book, which is a very
readable introduction:

	Durham F. and Purrington R. D. "Frame of the Universe" Columbia
		University Press 1983.

(*) Ptolemy the Astronomer (Claudius Ptolemaeus, 85-165ad), who worked during
	the reign of Hadrian, an Emperor who was an enthusiast of Hellenic
	science and culture, and who visited Greece in 125ad and Alexandria in
	130ad, *not* Ptolemy the King, Alexander's heir (367)-305-285bc, and
	Cleopatra's ancestor, who helped Alexander found Alexandria, and later
	encouraged the development of Hellenic culture and science in Egypt,
	and may have founded the famous museum and library.

	   When Alexander died in 322bc, his Empire, after a short interregnum,
	broke up into three parts; Macedonia itself, where his family lived,
	but not for long since they were 'liberated' by Rome around 150bc, Egypt,
	which fell to General (King) Ptolemy, who took the precaution of hijacking
	Alexander's body, and the Seleucids, mentioned above, who reigned in
	Asia Minor, and erected a great empire under Antiochus III, afterwards
	making the mistake of fighting Rome for the remains of Macedonia, losing
	to Scipio Africanus and his brother Scipio Asiagenus at Magnesia, and
	eventually losing their independence in sad dribs and drabs under
	Antiochus IV.

	    There were some rather pathetic minor characters, too, like Demetrios
	Poliorketes 294-288bc, who mainly tried to arrange alliances with the
	big boys.    Demetrios (The Besieger of cities) thought of himself as
	a great military genius, and Alexander's reincarnation, but all that is
	left of him is a few coins, one of which sits on my desk.

lavin@athena.mit.edu (Anne R LaVin) (04/28/88)

In article <51010@sun.uucp> livesey@sun.uucp (Jon Livesey) writes:

> [discussion of gnomons, Babylonian observations deleted]
>
>	As well as eclipses, the Babylonians collected observations of
>Venus accurate enough to allow dating of earlier records back to
>around 2000bc.  The Babylonians themselves might not have been able to
>carry out this dating over very long periods since they had no very
>good model of the movement of astronomical bodies, yet astronomical
>prediction is always an attractive goal, and the next few hundred
>years of astronomy saw the development of such models, mainly by the
>Greeks, the Arabs, and finally Western Europe.
>
>  [more discussion of later history deleted]

There are, also, surviving records of tabulations of positions of the
other naked-eye visible planets.  We (the students in a class I took
on Babylonian and Greek astronomy) translated a cuneiform tablet which
contained the postions of the first stationary points of Jupiter over
several hundred years.  The tablet was written near the middle of the
period it covered, and thus contained both observational data and
calculted predictions, as well as some text that explained the
calculation method.  (The professor supplied the translation for the
text, as none of us read ancient Babylonian, except for numbers and
zodiacal signs.)

The positions were given in terms of degrees and minutes of arc around
the zodiac.  This zodiac was divided into twelve signs that
corresponded pretty closely to their current divisions (I think).  I
can't remember the date of the table off the top of my head, but I can
look it up if anyone's interested.

One of the points stressed in the course was that as far as we know,
the Babylonians didn't make any attempts to model the movements of the
stars or planets *physically*, just mathematically, along the lines of
"if it (the planet) is at this point in the sky now, where will it be
tomorrow or a hundred years from now?".  The Greeks, on the other
hand, spent most of their time trying to figure out what physical
system would account for the observed phenomema, and came up with all
sorts of amazing Earth-centered systems.

Anne R. LaVin                     |"Say, Pooh, why aren't YOU busy?" I said.
lavin@athena.mit.edu              |"Because it's a nice day," said Pooh.
MIT Aero & Astro                  |"Yes, but---"
(617) 253-0911                    |"Why ruin it?" he said.