[sci.misc] Bug zappers

miket@brspyr1.UUCP (06/03/88)

Following a spirited argument with a friend, I'm interested in learning about
the relative value, or lack of value, of electronic insect killers, commonly
referred to as "bug zappers" or "bug lights."  The manufacturers have done a
pretty good job of convincing us all that the ultraviolet light of these
zappers attracts nasties from all over your yard, which are then nicely fried
by some God-awful amperage.

The question arises: are these zappers a big scam?

Possibilities raised (conjecture only):

A.  The zappers actually make the situation worse.  Although many insects are
attracted by the light, only a small percentage get close enough to be
terminated.  Insects are complex creatures of many differing species, with
widely differing habits.  Many may be mildly interested in the light and may
drop by for a casual visit with no intention of actually getting close to the
light, and may be easily distracted by the presence of some nice tasty human.
This seems to be borne out by the astonishing variety and diversity of the
insect world.

B.  Insects that we normally think of as outdoor "pests" (that is, those that
bite) are not attracted by ultraviolet light.  The only insects that are fried
are those that are harmless anyway--moths, mayflies, June bugs, and the like.
In particular, some biting insects may only be attracted by carbon dioxide
(exhaust from animals), heat from animal skin surfaces, or animal scents.
This seems to be borne out by examination of the zappers and examination of the
habits of mosquitoes, black flies, punkies, etc., which don't seem to care one
way or the other about lights of any type.

B (1). Many of the insects obliterated may actually be beneficial insects in
some ways, and could even be species that prey on those very insects we are
trying to eliminate.  No real evidence to back this up.

C.  Although the constant sound of zapping may be very gratifying to the owner,
the number of insects terminated represents about 0.0001% of those in the
immediate area.  This seems to be borne out by simple statistics.

I'd like to see some hard evidence confronting this topic.  Have there been any
serious studies made?  Do entomologists break out in laughter when anybody
mentions a bug zapper?  My apologies if this has been discussed before.

Let's see some serious information on this from those who know.  If anybody has
any good, solid, empirical data, please e-mail me a summary.  Although a
sprited discussion of this on the net would be lots of fun, my access to the
net is severely restricted and I probably would see very little of it.
Go ahead and discuss it on the net if you wish, but please e-mail me the best
information.  I'm not interested in receiving e-mail theories or
diatribes--just the facts, ma'am.

--
Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1) =-=-=-=-=-=-= UUCP:brspyr1!miket
BRS Information Technologies, 1200 Rt. 7, Latham, N.Y. 12110  (518) 783-1161

glenda@homxb.UUCP (G.CHILDRESS) (06/03/88)

In article <3637@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:

> I'm interested in learning about the relative value, or lack of value, of
> electronic insect killers, commonly referred to as "bug zappers" or "bug
> lights."  The manufacturers have done a pretty good job of convincing us
> all that the ultraviolet light of these ...

My local paper had an article on these devices yesterday.  All of what I'm
writing is from that article.  (A few entomologists were consulted.)
Since these zappers were introduced, US consumers have spent over 300 million
dollars on them.  At ~ 35$ each, that's a lot of zappers.

> A.  The zappers actually make the situation worse.  Although many insects are
> attracted by the light, only a small percentage get close enough to be
> terminated....

They make the situation worse by attracting more insects to the area than
would normally come on their own.  But (per the article) they kill a large
number of insects.  Suggestions of moving the light roughly 50 feet from your
seating area and only having the light on when you are outside should lessen
the problem.

> B.  Insects that we normally think of as outdoor "pests" (that is, those that
> bite) are not attracted by ultraviolet light.  The only insects that are fried
> are those that are harmless anyway--moths, mayflies, June bugs, and the like.

True and False.  Some nasty flies get attracted.  mosquitos do not.  There
are some brands that come with "scent packs" to attract other bugs that
wouldn't come just to the light.

> B (1). Many of the insects obliterated may actually be beneficial insects in
> some ways, and could even be species that prey on those very insects we are
> trying to eliminate...

True.

> C.  Although the constant sound of zapping may be very gratifying to the owner,
> the number of insects terminated represents about 0.0001% of those in the
> immediate area.  This seems to be borne out by simple statistics.

The article indicated that "lots" of insects are zapped.  But as in the first
statement, the light continues to pull more in, thus the appearance of it not
working.

dlp@ih1ap.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA) (06/06/88)

A recent issue of Mother Earth News ran an article on 'Bat Houses'
which can be mounted like bird houses on trees or exterior walls.
These houses can hold 30 - 60 bats each of which eats LOTS of night
flying bugs. The article claimed that a single house had the bug
killing capability of a bug zapper, and would coax bats out of
less desireable environments (such as attics). This plan also
provides a constant supply of high-grade fertilizer. The little
guys DO NOT get tangled in your hair, no matter WHAT grandma
may have told you.

		Random

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (06/07/88)

[deleted stuff about bug zappers]

Down here in Austin, front and back porches, if lit, get *inundated* with
June bugs. Jillions of them. Since it's the June bug's larvae that becomes
the notorious, lawn-destroying grubworm (little white maggot-looking bugger),
a bug zapper might help to keep them down a bit. Lately, I haven't been able
to sit on my back porch due to mass kamikaze attacks.

<||>---Ron Morgan---<||>-UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!emx!osmigo-<||||||||||>
<||>-Univ. of Texas-<||>-------osmigo@emx.UUCP---------------------<||||||||||>
<||>--Austin Texas--<||>-ARPA: osmigo@emx.utexas.edu---------------<||||||||||>

ethan@ut-emx.UUCP (Ethan Tecumseh Vishniac) (06/07/88)

In article <1020@ih1ap.ATT.COM>, dlp@ih1ap.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA) writes:
> A recent issue of Mother Earth News ran an article on 'Bat Houses'
> which can be mounted like bird houses on trees or exterior walls.
>.... The little
> guys DO NOT get tangled in your hair, no matter WHAT grandma
> may have told you.

Well, I have had one plow into the back of my neck once while I
was bicylcing down a dark street in  Aspen CO.  It would be hard to
say who was more surprised.

Of course, he might have been disoriented by all the coke in the air :-).

--
 I'm not afraid of dying     Ethan Vishniac, Dept of Astronomy, Univ. of Texas
 I just don't want to be     {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

jvz@cci632.UUCP (John V. Zambito) (06/07/88)

I have a mercury vapor yard lights about 100 feet away
from my house, on a 20 foot pole. It attracts a large number of bugs.
I mounted a bug zapper to the pole 5 feet from the ground. Many of the
bugs around the yard light eventually make it down to the zapper. It gets
packed solid with dead bugs and I have to clean it out about once a
month with a blow dryer. The yard light is a must, so the bugs are going to
be there anyway. The zapper is just a convenient way to do some of those
bugs in. I don't seem to get many bugs around the house.

wcb@sortac.UUCP (Bill Barksdale) (06/08/88)

In article <3122@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@emx.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>[deleted stuff about bug zappers]
>
>Down here in Austin, front and back porches, if lit, get *inundated* with
>June bugs. Jillions of them. Since it's the June bug's larvae that becomes
>the notorious, lawn-destroying grubworm (little white maggot-looking bugger),
>a bug zapper might help to keep them down a bit. Lately, I haven't been able
>to sit on my back porch due to mass kamikaze attacks.
>---

Are you sure those are not Japanese beetles? June bugs don't make
kamikaze attacks! Also June bugs tend to hang out in barnyards
and pastures . . . Oh yeah, Austin, huh . . .

Anyway, I've never heard of June bug larvae being a threat to lawn
grasses, but Japanese beetle larvae supposedly tend to destroy
your lawn.

The two are similar in appearence - I think Japanese beetles
are a little smaller. June bugs make fair pets, with a thread
tied around one leg - I never tried this with a kamikaze
Japanese beetle.

--
       "Even if the wheels fall off, we can SLIDE in from here!"
		- Rick Mears, just before winning the '88 Indy 500

Bill Barksdale        AT&T Network Systems            Atlanta, GA

rsmith@udel.EDU (R Timothy Smith) (06/09/88)

In article <3131@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@emx.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>[deleted suggestion about "bat houses" to house bats which eat lots of bugs]
>
>I'm not sure about this one. Bats are also notorious carriers of rabies. It'd
						      ^^^^^^^^
>just take one rabid bat, then next would be the neigborhood pets, and so on.
>No way, Jose...

I'll take strong issue with that!  Yes, bats can contract rabies; so
can people.  Neither are "carriers" in the sense of walking around
infecting others without being quickly affected themselves.  The rabid
nature of bats may be "notorious", but it is also undeserved.  (They're
also "notorious" for flying into people's hair, but that's a crock too).
I don't have my research sources here with me to quote from but if you
want the details let me know and I'll get back to you.  (That was not
to imply it's my research, just stuff I've collected in defense of bats
from being a spelunker for the past 20 years.)

The bottom line is, bats eat a mess of insects, are beneficial, and not
anymore likely to give you rabies than your next door neighbor.

Build a bat house  --  bats need friends!

herb@mit-caf.UUCP (Herbert Neuhaus) (06/10/88)

Sorry, but you have been lied to.  Bats don't carry rabies.  Of course,
any mammal, including bats, can contract rabies.  In order for an animal
to be a "carrier" it must be relatively immune from the disease, otherwise
they die.  Bats die from rabies, they don't carry it.

The origin of this myth is interesting.  It dates back to an old study
done on rabies transmission.  The researchers found a group of bats which
had a disease which could be transmitted to mice.  This disease is fatal to
mice, and was mis-diagnosed as rabies.  The bats were thought to be carriers
because they did not get sick from this disease.  However, people are not
affected by it either.  It wasn't rabies.

The bottom line is that some bats ARE carriers of a disease fatal to mice.

cej@ll1a.UUCP (Jones) (06/13/88)

In article <1029@mit-caf.UUCP>, herb@mit-caf.UUCP (Herbert Neuhaus) writes:
> Sorry, but you have been lied to.  Bats don't carry rabies.  Of course,
> any mammal, including bats, can contract rabies.  In order for an animal
> to be a "carrier" it must be relatively immune from the disease,
> otherwise they die.  Bats die from rabies, they don't carry it.

	Well, this must vary from one type of bat to the next, or
the Chicago Tribune misrepresented some facts in their papaer today.

	There was an article about the new "wildlife" rabies vaccine
that is about to be tested on two small, uninhabited east coast
islands.  This vaccine is targeted towards raccoons, which it seems
are *not* classic carriers - they die from rabies.  (Of course an
animal that is not a "classic carrier" can still pass on the rabies
before it dies, as many do.)

	However, the article also mentioned a *big* problem with
rabies infected vampire bats infecting cattle in Australia, and
the article strongly inferred, though did not spell out, that the
vampire bats were truly carriers.

	Can anybody from "down-under" give us the latest "low-down"
on the problems you are having?

...ll1a!cej		[Just me, not AT&T]		 Jones

		HASA Qualified - U.S. Approved

powi@ur-tut (Peter Owings) (06/13/88)

In article <3637@brspyr1.BRS.Com> miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:
>The question arises: are these bug zappers a big scam?

	Well, I haven't done any truely scientific study, but as a kid
I entertained myself for hours watching bugs spiral into the bug zapper
only to burst into flames.
	There is nothing so entertaining than watching a fly crash and
burn.
	As to there effectiveness, it looked as though it was doing the
job.  That's as scientific as I get.
	As for entertainment purposes, buy one for the kid who has
everything.

Peter...   					P'otr R'ibalov

'Est n'ech'evo tak dom.
Vi zna'et'e, da?

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (06/15/88)

In article <3131@ut-emx.UUCP> Ron Morgan writes:

>[deleted suggestion about "bat houses" to house bats which eat lots of bugs]
>
>I'm not sure about this one. Bats are also notorious carriers of rabies. It'd
>just take one rabid bat, then next would be the neigborhood pets, and so on.
>No way, Jose...

If you're not sure, why post?

Cottontails and squirrels are worse, to say nothing of pidgeons (a.k.a.
flying rats) as general disease carriers (not rabies). What's the likelihood
of pets catching bats which feed in the air (at night yet) as opposed to
animals which feed on the ground?

I'll take the bats any day.

Rich

inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) (06/15/88)

Probably.

My theory is that a bug zapper attracts beasties not just from my yard, but
from the whole neighborhood. I base this on my one exposure to this device --
a party where there were NO bugs until the host turned on his b-z. And then
they were everywhere! We had to escape indoors to avoid those who got lost
on their from the neighbor's to the zapper (or who just wanted to drop into
the cheese dip to cool off before proceeding to the electric char).

--
Gary Benson		   -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-inc@tc.fluke.com_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Publication Services	   Ensign Benson, Space Cadet, Digital Circus, Sector R

pen@formtek.UUCP (Phil Nickerson) (06/17/88)

Let us not forget that for every one of the female pest bugs killed,
"Billions and Billions" of offspring over the next million years are
prevented!!!!

While these things do attract more bugs than would normally be in the
area, they greatly reduce the number of bothersome gnats and bugs from
areas that you do not want them if the zapper is properly placed.
--
Philip E. Nickerson,Jr.	  |UUCP   {pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!pen
(412)937-4900|(800)FORMTEK|	  decvax!formtek!pen

prl@ethz.UUCP (Peter Lamb) (06/25/88)

In article <2413@ll1a.UUCP> cej@ll1a.UUCP (Jones) writes:
>	However, the article also mentioned a *big* problem with
>rabies infected vampire bats infecting cattle in Australia, and
>	Can anybody from "down-under" give us the latest "low-down"
>on the problems you are having?

As far as I know, Australia is free of rabies. I was on a visit home
there just 2 weeks ago, and there was no news I heard about Australia
having rabies reported (it would be *big* news). This is one of the
reasons for quite stringent import restrictions on animals and animal
products, and why your aircraft is sprayed inside with a fairly vile
insecticide before you land there.

I don't know of `vampire bats' there either. I thought they were South
American. I could be wrong on this, I'm an engineer, not a biologist.
Could the article have meant Argentina?

--
Peter Lamb
uucp:  seismo!mcvax!ethz!prl	eunet: prl@ethz.uucp	Tel:   +411 256 5241