[sci.misc] The Loch Ness Monster

Macros@altger.UUCP (Macros) (07/20/88)

Here is sometghing for the long summer holidays:

A short while ago I once again read something about the infamous Loch Ness
Monster. Unfortunatly it was an article dated back from 1977.

Does any one have something newer?
I'm not interested in flames from either the Believers or the Doubters.

What I'd especially like to know about is the photographic material
that was published in MITs Technology Review in Spring 1976 and the film
made in 1972 by the Jet Propulsion Labs, which are supposed to show fins
and even a head of one or more
creatures under water, but could just as well be the rudder of a sunken
ship ( a viking ship, with its dragon head on the bow was mentioned in
the article).

In another article in some scientific magazin (forgot which one) and some
time ago in german TV it was proposed that the dinosaurs might well have
been warmblooded animals. This could make it more propable that some of them
could survive in the cold depths of the Loch.

Some people (scientists?) say it could be an Elasmosaur a member of the
Plesiosaurus-Family. Others say it could be a gill or skin breathing
animal, maybe a giant eel or an amphibium, which would explain why it is
rarely seen.

The Believers always bring in the example of the Coelacanth of the Indian
Ocean when they want to proove that living fossiles do well exist, and
the recent discovery of the Megachasma-Shark has shown that very large
creatures can still be hidden in deep waters to this day.

Just thought to start a discussion before the holidays
I'm waiting for enlightement
Mike

--
! Mike Hoffmann       !       It's difficult to soar with Eagles     !
! Fasangartenstr. 102 !       when you have to work with Turkeys     !

rpjday@violet.waterloo.edu (Rob Day) (07/22/88)

In article <861@altger.UUCP> Macros@altger.UUCP (Macros) writes:

>The Believers always bring in the example of the Coelacanth of the Indian
>Ocean when they want to proove that living fossiles do well exist, and
>the recent discovery of the Megachasma-Shark has shown that very large
>creatures can still be hidden in deep waters to this day.

  What is this Megachasma-Shark you refer to and where was it found?
I'm not doubting it, mind you, just looking for info.  Is this the
creature that was hauled up off the coast of Japan a few years back
that the creationists contend is a plesiosaur?  References?
Robert P. J. Day	//	rpjday@violet.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
Dept. of Comp. Sci.	//	rpjday@violet.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo	//	uunet!watmath!violet!rpjday

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (07/23/88)

In article <861@altger.UUCP> Macros@altger.UUCP (Macros) writes:
>Here is sometghing for the long summer holidays:
>
>A short while ago I once again read something about the infamous Loch Ness
>Monster. Unfortunatly it was an article dated back from 1977.

.... Sundry speculations about elasmosaurus etc deleted

If Nessy exists, which is possible, it is *very* unlikely to be a relict
from the cretaceous.  The great extinction was pretty drastic.  Here are a
couple of theories which are more plausible.  One is that is a large, long
necked otter.  The other is that is a trapped species of sea serpent.

If it is the latter we have no idea whether it is mammal, reptile, or
something else.  There is very good reason to believe that there is
something in the ocean that warrants the name, sea serpent.  There have
been numerous observations, including observations by trained biologists.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) (07/26/88)

Macros@altger.UUCP (Macros) wrote:
> In another article in some scientific magazin (forgot which one) and some
> time ago in german TV it was proposed that the dinosaurs might well have
> been warmblooded animals. This could make it more propable that some of them
> could survive in the cold depths of the Loch.

In the last couple of glaciations the ice on top of Loch Ness was about a mile
thick. Your dinosaurs would have had to hold their breath under it for a few
thousand years. But since adherents of the dinosaur theory also seem to think
their pets can stay underwater for a decade or so between sightings, they may
not see this as a problem.

There is a recent book called something like "The Loch Ness Mystery Solved"
which suggests that the "monsters" are rotting trees that surface when enough
gas builds up.

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (B Gray) (07/27/88)

In article <861@altger.UUCP> Macros@altger.UUCP (Macros) writes:
>A short while ago I once again read something about the infamous Loch Ness
>Monster. Unfortunatly it was an article dated back from 1977.
>
>Does any one have something newer?

>What I'd especially like to know about is the photographic material
>that was published in MITs Technology Review in Spring 1976 and the film
>made in 1972 by the Jet Propulsion Labs, which are supposed to show fins
>and even a head of one or more
>creatures under water, but could just as well be the rudder of a sunken
>ship ( a viking ship, with its dragon head on the bow was mentioned in
>the article).

The most recent publication concerning the inhabitants of
Loch Ness was a book demonstrating the existance of a colony
of seals in the loch. Many people doubted that they existed
because the loch is fresh water, and seals are normally only
found in salt water.

The motions of seals skimming in and out of the water is
said to account for the humps of the traditional monster.
A lot of the photographs of the monster could be of seals
instead, especially the famous underwater diamond shaped fin
one mentioned above.

Seals couldn't however explain the strange sonar contacts
found by the sonar mapping expedition last year. No seal is
forty foot long.
	Bob.

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (07/28/88)

	Didn't Doctor Who solve the question of the Loch Ness monster
once and for all (and in the process dispatch the beast)?

[Just a rhetorical question...]
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4 years down, 3 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

miani@Alliant.COM (Thomas Miani) (07/28/88)

In article <31293@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) writes:
>In article <861@altger.UUCP> Macros@altger.UUCP (Macros) writes:

>If Nessy exists, which is possible, it is *very* unlikely to be a relict
>from the cretaceous.  The great extinction was pretty drastic.  Here are a
>couple of theories which are more plausible.  One is that is a large, long
>necked otter.  The other is that is a trapped species of sea serpent.
				       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	What makes you think that the species may be trapped, The lake
	ole nessy lives in is 700 feet deep. Within the cavern there may
	be many many passages to where ever, and nessy may go who knows
	where. Nessy or a animal/whatever has been spotted in not just
	ireland, but in the mid east, and off the usa shores also.
	so who really knows where or how nessy lives. But this is a great
	discovery if it ever come to being. With the stupidity of man
	they will probably catch it and diesect it and hang it in some
	museum instead of letting it live its natural life.

	Thomas Miani
	Alliant Computer Systems Corp.
	Littleton Mass.

sacks@classroom.ci.com (Marc Sacks) (07/29/88)

From Robert Sheaffer's "Psychic Vibrations" column in the Spring 1988
SKEPTICAL INQUIRER (reprinted without permission):

"Speaking of Loch Ness, it seems that Nessie has been surfacing once again,
although being careful, as always, to choose a place or time so as not to leave
behind any evidence that is too convincing.  This past July the veteran Amer-
ican monster-chaser Jon Erik Beckjord was in Edinburgh to show his Nessie films
taken four years earlier to a meeting of scientists.  While there, he met Alexander

Crosbie, a retired window cleaner from Inverness, who claims to have had Nessie
sightings going all the way back to the 1940s.  Crosbie persuaded Beckjord to
accompany him back to the Loch for another look, citing his own success at
knowing when and where to see Nessie.  On the afternoon they arrived, Beckjord
left Crosbie with his photographic equipment and went off to rent a car.  You
can imagine Beckjord's surprise, not to mention personal disappointment, when
upon his return Crosbie claimed to have filmed an outstandingly find apparition
of Nessie!  'He seems to have a talent for finding the monster,' Beckjord
remarked enviously.  A greatly enlarged print of the monster's head was
published in James Moseley's SAUCER SMEAR, in which Beckjord claims to see not
only the creature's skull-like head, but the faces of several other materialized
entities.  (We recall that, according to Beckjord, crypto-creatures are
actually paranormal manifestations.)  However, neither Moseley nor I, nor
apparently anyone else, could discern any pattern or images whatsoever lurking
in the highly magnified grains of the photographic emulsion.  For the following
issue of SAUCER SMEAR, Beckjord helpfully supplied a copy of the same
print, with the alleged skull-like face sketched in between the grains.  However,
it still failed to impress anyone.  Shifting gears somewhat, Beckjord told the
Associated Press that the creature has a catlike face and a body that 'looks
like a cross between Halley's Comet and the Concorde jet.'  If you are
confused as to whether the face of NESSITERAS RHOMBOPTERYX resembles a skull
or a cat, remember that paranormal entities can materialize or dematerialize
at will; hence there is no reason to expect them to have the same appearance
during each manifestation.

"In October, 'Operation Deepscan,' a small fleet of sonar-equipped boats,
probed the depths of the Loch.  The expedition, organized by Adrian Shine, a
salesman from London, was not sololy interested in Nessie, but was also
studying the Loch's fish species and underwater currents.  They systematically
covered the entire Loch with sonar capable of resolving objects as small as
four inches.  While some underwater objects were detected, which were believed
to be floating debris, no monster was found.  However, a film was obtained
of a rotting tree stump under 22 feet of water.  Its shape was virtually
identical to the figure in a photo taken in 1975 by the Academy of Applied
Sciences, purported to be the gorgoyle [sic] -shaped head of the mythical
creature."

An earlier SKEPTICAL INQUIRER (Winter 1984-85) contains an article entitled,
"Searches for the Loch Ness Monster," by Rikki Razdan and Alan Kielar.
Happy reading.

				--Marc Sacks

trt@rti.UUCP (Thomas Truscott) (07/29/88)

> An earlier SKEPTICAL INQUIRER (Winter 1984-85) contains an article entitled,
> "Searches for the Loch Ness Monster," by Rikki Razdan and Alan Kielar.

The summer 1988 SI reviewed "The Loch Ness Monster: The Evidence",
by Steuart Campbell.  Sterling Pulishing Co. distributes it in the U.S.
The author promises "all the known facts about the most famous
lake-monster in the world".
It covers all the famous sightings
and all the popular speculations ("sea caves" for example).
I recommend that Nessie buffs pick up a copy.
	Tom Truscott

zeus@zapodid.aero.org (Dave Suess) (07/30/88)

In article <2160@alliant.Alliant.COM> miani@alliant.UUCP (Thomas Miani) writes:
>	What makes you think that the species may be trapped, The lake
>	ole nessy lives in is 700 feet deep. Within the cavern there may
>	be many many passages to where ever, and nessy may go who knows
>	where. Nessy or a animal/whatever has been spotted in not just
>	ireland, but in the mid east, and off the usa shores also.

		I suggest you check Loch Ness's altitude sometime
		soon.  At 52 feet above sea level (according to the
		Encyclopaedia Britannica), no matter how deep the
		Loch is (and it gets deeper than 700 feet, even),
		the likelihood of a hole leading to the sea somewhere
		is about the same as the existence of Nessy.
		Not to mention the absence of salty Lochwater!
		Dave Suess		zeus@aerospace.aero.org, aero!zeus

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (07/30/88)

In article <4408@dandelion.CI.COM> sacks@classroom.UUCP (Marc Sacks) writes:
>From Robert Sheaffer's "Psychic Vibrations" column in the Spring 1988
>SKEPTICAL INQUIRER (reprinted without permission):

     [about 25 lines deleted]

>like a cross between Halley's Comet and the Concorde jet.'  If you are
>confused as to whether the face of NESSITERAS RHOMBOPTERYX resembles a skull
>or a cat, ...

Did you ever hear that the scientific name, proposed by Sir Peter Scott of the
Wildfowl Trust in the UK, is an anagram that can be re-arranged to spell:

     BY SIR PETERS MONSTER HOAX     ?

dmark@joey.cs.buffalo.edu

jgy@hropus.UUCP (John Young) (08/01/88)

>In article <2160@alliant.Alliant.COM> miani@alliant.UUCP (Thomas Miani) writes:
>>	What makes you think that the species may be trapped, The lake
>>	ole nessy lives in is 700 feet deep. Within the cavern there may
>>	be many many passages to where ever, and nessy may go who knows
>>	where. Nessy or a animal/whatever has been spotted in not just
>>	ireland, but in the mid east, and off the usa shores also.
>
>		I suggest you check Loch Ness's altitude sometime
>		soon.  At 52 feet above sea level (according to the
>		Encyclopaedia Britannica), no matter how deep the
>		Loch is (and it gets deeper than 700 feet, even),
>		the likelihood of a hole leading to the sea somewhere
>		is about the same as the existence of Nessy.
>		Not to mention the absence of salty Lochwater!
>		Dave Suess		zeus@aerospace.aero.org, aero!zeus

	I suggest you look the definition of the work "loch" in
	some nearby reference. Perhaps joke too?

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (08/01/88)

miani@alliant.UUCP (Thomas Miani) writes:
>	What makes you think that the species may be trapped, The lake
>	ole nessy lives in is 700 feet deep. Within the cavern there may
>	be many many passages to where ever, and nessy may go who knows
>	where. Nessy or a animal/whatever has been spotted in not just
>	ireland, but in the mid east, and off the usa shores also.

That part of Scotland is made of two kinds of rock: granite (mostly) and
Devonian sandstone. Neither forms large cave systems the way limestone does
(is "alliant" in Kentucky by any chance?).

If there were holes connecting Loch Ness to the sea, it would be salty at the
bottom (the bottom of the loch is far below the deepest point of the North
Sea). It isn't.

--

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (08/01/88)

In article <34997@aero.ARPA> zeus@zapodid.UUCP (Dave Suess) writes:

>		I suggest you check Loch Ness's altitude sometime
>		soon.  At 52 feet above sea level (according to the
>		Encyclopaedia Britannica), no matter how deep the
>		Loch is (and it gets deeper than 700 feet, even),
>		the likelihood of a hole leading to the sea somewhere
>		is about the same as the existence of Nessy.
>		Not to mention the absence of salty Lochwater!

By a similar argument, we can prove that Lake Erie has no exit to the
sea.

wen-king@cit-vlsi.Caltech.Edu (Wen-King Su) (08/02/88)

In article <34997@aero.ARPA> zeus@zapodid.UUCP (Dave Suess) writes:
>In article <2160@alliant.Alliant.COM> miani@alliant.UUCP (Thomas Miani) writes:
<>	What makes you think that the species may be trapped, The lake
>>	ole nessy lives in is 700 feet deep. Within the cavern there may
<>	be many many passages to where ever, and nessy may go who knows
>>	where. Nessy or a animal/whatever has been spotted in not just
<>	ireland, but in the mid east, and off the usa shores also.

<		I suggest you check Loch Ness's altitude sometime
>		soon.  At 52 feet above sea level (according to the
<		Encyclopaedia Britannica), no matter how deep the
>		Loch is (and it gets deeper than 700 feet, even),
<		the likelihood of a hole leading to the sea somewhere
>		is about the same as the existence of Nessy.
<		Not to mention the absence of salty Lochwater!
>		Dave Suess		zeus@aerospace.aero.org, aero!zeus

While I do not believe in the existence of the monster, a underwater
passage to the sea cannot be ruled out because sea water is heavier
than fresh water.  Since I have no idea what the density of the sea
water is, lets assume that sea water is twice as heavy as fresh water
(to make math simple).  If one unit volume of sea water is twice as
heavy as one unit volume of fresh water, then the loch can be 52
feet above sea level if there is a hole 52 feets below the sea level.
At that spot, the pressure in sea and the loch is the same.  The lake
water will remain fresh if there is a steady outflow of water through
the passage.

As for the existence of the moster, there is a easy way to find out -
drain the loch and have a look. :-)

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| Wen-King Su  wen-king@vlsi.caltech.edu  Caltech Corp of Cosmic Engineers |
\*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

zeus@zapodid.aero.org (Dave Suess) (08/02/88)

In article <6470@aw.sei.cmu.edu> firth@bd.sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>In article <34997@aero.ARPA> zeus@zapodid.UUCP (Dave Suess) writes:
>>		I suggest you check Loch Ness's altitude sometime
>>		soon.  At 52 feet above sea level ...
>
>By a similar argument, we can prove that Lake Erie has no exit to the
>sea.
	I suggest that anyone who is confused by this exchange check a
	map and see where Loch Ness with respect to the ocean and where
	Lake Erie is, and recall the context of the original post that
	suggested an underwater passage big enough for Nessie.  DS

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (08/03/88)

}
}		I suggest you check Loch Ness's altitude sometime
}		soon.  At 52 feet above sea level (according to the
}		Encyclopaedia Britannica), no matter how deep the
}		Loch is (and it gets deeper than 700 feet, even),
}		the likelihood of a hole leading to the sea somewhere
}		is about the same as the existence of Nessy.
}		Not to mention the absence of salty Lochwater!
}		Dave Suess		zeus@aerospace.aero.org, aero!zeus

Well, given that the water level of the Loch is HIGHER than the ocean level,
without some lock system (loch lock?) you can say that there is NO connection.

(that old "water seeks its own level" from the middle ages is not an entirely
bad statement)

So while we do not know where the caverns GO, we can say where they do not.

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5  (James W. Meritt)

In article <7481@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wen-king@cit-vlsi.UUCP (Wen-King Su) writes:
}While I do not believe in the existence of the monster, a underwater
}passage to the sea cannot be ruled out because sea water is heavier
}than fresh water.  Since I have no idea what the density of the sea
}water is, lets assume that sea water is twice as heavy as fresh water
}(to make math simple).  If one unit volume of sea water is twice as
}heavy as one unit volume of fresh water, then the loch can be 52
}feet above sea level if there is a hole 52 feets below the sea level.
}At that spot, the pressure in sea and the loch is the same.  The lake
}water will remain fresh if there is a steady outflow of water through
}the passage.

Sea water is "heavier" (denser) than fresh water.

at 4 degrees C & 32ppt (not uncommon salinity) it is around 1.025 or so.
Even at 37 ppt (high) you don't get much above 1.03.

Not that big a density difference.

And IF you had a drain, the water would go down it until the hydrostatic
pressures matched.  Not 52 feet.

wen-king@cit-vlsi.Caltech.Edu (Wen-King Su) (08/03/88)

In article <1507@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> jwm@aplvax.UUCP (Jim Meritt) writes:
<
>Sea water is "heavier" (denser) than fresh water.
<
<at 4 degrees C & 32ppt (not uncommon salinity) it is around 1.025 or so.
>Even at 37 ppt (high) you don't get much above 1.03.
<
>Not that big a density difference.
<
>And IF you had a drain, the water would go down it until the hydrostatic
<pressures matched.  Not 52 feet.

Thanks for the number.  If sea wather is 1.025 times heavier than fresh
water, then Loch Ness can be in equilibrium at 52 feet above sea level
if the hole is 2028 feet below sea level.   I admit that a hole that
far down is unlikely, but it is not physically impossible for it to
exist.  After all, the valleys in the sea are much much deeper than the
tallest mountain on the land, and the tallest mountain on the land is
much much taller than 2028 feet.  I am not too good with numbers, but I
know that 2028 is not extreme because whenever I travel north on I-5, I
come across a little hump with a sign that says "elevation 5000 feet". :-)

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*\

jgk@speech2.cs.cmu.edu (Joe Keane) (08/04/88)

In article <7497@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wen-king@cit-vlsi.UUCP (Wen-King Su) writes:
>Thanks for the number.  If sea wather is 1.025 times heavier than fresh
>water, then Loch Ness can be in equilibrium at 52 feet above sea level
>if the hole is 2028 feet below sea level.

We don't need equilibrium.  If the hole were above that depth, fresh
water would flow out of the loch.  This isn't a problem as long as the
flow is less than that of the various rivers which feed the loch.  So
let's go over there and measure the amount of water flowing in and out
of the loch by the expected routes.  If there were a discrepancy, we'd
have evidence for the hole.

--Joe

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (Bob Gray) (08/04/88)

In article <1506@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> jwm@aplvax.UUCP (Jim Meritt) writes:
>Well, given that the water level of the Loch is HIGHER than the ocean level,
>without some lock system (loch lock?) you can say that there is NO connection.

You mean like the lock system on the Caledonian canal, which
goes right through Loch Ness?

And just to confuse people, I have heard the first Lock on
the canal at the south-west end of Loch Ness referred to as
Lock ness.

So next time you hear on the TV news of a hunt for the
monster in "Lock Ness", you know why they won't find
anything. :->
	Bob.