[sci.misc] Computer Mapping Systems?

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (09/08/89)

There already is a mailing list.  I've received mail from it already,
but the traffic is very low, so low, I don't have the current address.
I don't hold much hope at the moment for it, but use comp.graphics
to post and discuss topics.  Groups get formed when traffic in an existing
group warrents forking off, but because a person or two is interested.
No one will get tired of talking mapping systems, it would be an interesting
improvment over 'n'ing PC graphics articles.

Such a list is available from the so-called "list-of-lists."

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

thomson%cs.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (09/09/89)

In article <5050@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>There already is a mailing list.  I've received mail from it already,
>but the traffic is very low, so low, I don't have the current address.

Are you sure you're not mis-remembering the comp-vis list?  I manage that
list and it certainly fits the description you give above.  I know I have
mentioned something about GIS systems in the list, but like every other
posting of that list it has eeked no responses.  For some reason everybody
on that list wants to listen and not talk.  What sheep.

>Such a list is available from the so-called "list-of-lists."

Do you see it here?

    12step		folk-dancing		objc
    386users		framers			objectivism
    3D			funky-music		objectivism-philosophy
    aeronautics		game-design		ocean.policy
    aids		gnu-manual		ODA
    aiuan		Gouldbugs		offroad
    algeria-net		handicap		origami
    Alspa		hang-gliding		OtherRealms
    alternates		herpetology		other-voices
    amiga-forth		homebrew		pdp8-lovers
    AmigaUUCP		horse			pipes
    animal-rights	hunters			posix-ada
    anneal		impulse			pro-video
    argproc		info-386ix		rc-cars
    att-pc+		info-3b2		rc-flying
    backstreets		info-aids		reflections
    bears		info-altos		sappho
    beebox		info-encore		sca
    big-DB		info-futures		scribe
    british-cars	info-gnu		security
    cavers		info-high-audio		silicon-compilers
    CD-forum		info-sparc		sil-info
    chalkhills		info-tahoe		smiths-fans
    chem-talk		irclist			S-news
    christian		isi			space-activists
    C-IBM-370		islam			supercomputers
    cisco		iti151			sysops
    climbing		its-a-crime		t3
    clu			jewish			tandy4k
    CoCo		killifish		tartan-c
    compress		kites			tcp-group
    comp-visualization	lang-lucid		thicva
    cryonics		lasnet			towers
    CTIX-users		lds			transputer
    ctree		Linda			traveller
    cyberpunkRPG	Logo			ucsd-empire
    drwho-spoilers	MacMASH			Unisys
    Dual-personalities	Mactivists		UNITEX
    eastender		MacWorkers		unix-pc-net
    eclipse		martial-arts		usml
    EMS			medphys			venezuela
    ensembles		men			VMEbus
    esperanto		military		war-worlds
    ethology		mtxinu-users		whitewater
    feminists		musicals		wildnet
    ferrets		mustangs		windsurfing
    Fiction-Writers	Network-audio-bits	x-ada
    film-makers		newlists		Yiddish
    fire		NFS			z-cars
    firearms		ntp			zilog
    f-mac		nucmed

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with
us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain
too cheap, we esteem too lightly." Thomas Paine, _The Crisis_, Dec. 23rd, 1776

neil@calvin.ksu.ksu.edu (Neil Erdwien) (09/09/89)

In article <3282@wasatch.utah.edu> thomson%cs.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) writes:
>In article <5050@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>>There already is a mailing list.  I've received mail from it already,
>>but the traffic is very low, so low, I don't have the current address.
>
>Are you sure you're not mis-remembering the comp-vis list?  I manage that
>list and it certainly fits the description you give above.  I know I have
>mentioned something about GIS systems in the list, but like every other
>posting of that list it has eeked no responses.  For some reason everybody
>on that list wants to listen and not talk.  What sheep.
>
>>Such a list is available from the so-called "list-of-lists."
>
>Do you see it here?

 [ list deleted ]

There is a list called GIS-L, with the description of "Geographic Information
Systems Discussion list".  It is a LISTSERV list managed by the LISTSERV at
UBVM.

   SUB GIS-L your real name

Neil Erdwien
Kansas State University