From: Robert White  			[rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com]
Subject: Welcome

The response to my posting in comp.graphics overwhelmed me, so it
it appears that this show is on the road.  The newsletter will be
posted to comp.graphics and sci.misc (unless you can suggest better
alternatives) until such time as we are able to get our own group.

The content of this letter is of course up to you.  Several of you
wrote to say that you had particular areas of expertise.  I would
encourage you to submit pieces as soon as you can.  Some of the
areas of interest that have arisen already include contour mapping,
digital terrain models from USGS data, DLG-3 files, Arc/Info,
import and export of data, remote sensing, Spot Imagery, and AutoCAD
mapping applications to name a few.

If you do not have regular access to usenet,  please drop me a note
and I can arrange to transmit the letter to you via the mail system.
I may need someone to help me out in this regard if it becomes too
cumbersome.  Also, please make sure that I have a uucp path for you
from the nearest backbone.

As regards reader submitted public domain programs, I would
like to establish an archive site, but do not have the resources
to do so.  If you do, please contact me or tell me a reasonable way
in which such code might be distributed.  If they are short, we can
simply tack them on to the newsletter.

****2****
From: Eric Fielding 			[fielding@geology.tn.cornell.edu]
Subject: GIS Newsletter
Organization [Cornell University, Department of Geology]

I would be very interested in a newsletter on GIS, etc. We have been doing
computer mapping for several years and just ordered ARC/INFO. I have a hard
time finding time to wade thru "comp.graphics" to find the few articles of
interest.

We also work with digital topography and satellite imagery; would
those be included? [yes -ed]

****3****
From: Rich Thomson			[thomson@cs.utah.edu]

I am very much interested in GIS systems and I think a newsletter is a
good way to start.  If there is a lot of traffic on the newsletter, one can
always bring up the possibility of turning it into a newsgroup.  I also
second your idea of posting the newsletter to a newsgroup as well.  I manage
a couple of newsletters (amiga-forth and sci-vis) and publishing them in
the newsgroups increases the circulation to reach people who aren't aware of
newsletters/mailing lists on the net.

****4****
From: Brett R. Prochaska  		[brettp@orca.wv.tek.com]
Subject: GIS Newsletter			[brettp@cain.WV.TEK.COM]
Organization [Tektronix, Inc. Wilsonville, OR]

I'd be interested in such a newsletter -- a central point for obtaining
information pertaining to GIS systems would be very helpful.

****5****
From: Chris Hermansen 			[tacitus!clh@wimsey.bc.ca]
Subject: GIS Newsletter			[van-bc!tacitus!clh]

Gee, it's about time someone stood up on his/her hind legs for us GIS-ers!
Sure, we're interested.  We have ARC/INFO here and GeoVision AMS in Malaysia.
Let me know if you need some help. [thanks, you're hired -ed]

****6****
From: Hardy Pottinger			[hjp@umree.ee.umr.edu]
Subject: GIS Newsletter			[C0546@UMRVMB.bitnet]

I'd be interested and I'm sure others as well.  I don't know if the
folks out at USGS (here in Rolla) are on the net, but I'll pass the
word along.  (USGS * US Geological Survey, mid continent mapping div.)

****7****
From: Robert White			[rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com]
Subject: Common Boundary Problem  	[ncar!boulder!qetzal!rcw]

Have you ever tried to digitize a county line or a region that shares
its boundary with a river?  I attempted to use AutoCAD and Microstation
and even some programming techniques for what I thought was going to be
a small project.  All CAD approaches failed and object snapping to
5,000 separate points is no fun.

I finally found a good solution using Atlas Draw.  This program uses
single precision floating point, but that was sufficient for my application.
I was able to point to a line segment and use the "common" command to
indicate the shared boundary to create both regions and/or a shared segment.
If there is more than one possible shared boundary, you can toggle between
them.  How does Arc/Info manage this situation?

-30-