[sci.misc] Are you interested in Computer Mapping Systems?

rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) (09/07/89)

I would like to see if there are enough users on the net interested
in Geographic Information Systems (i.e. Arc/Info, DeltaSystems, Tydac, etc)
to warrant a newsletter.  A GIS is a program capable of performing spatial
analysis, for example intersecting a layer of land ownership with a layer of
crop type and soil survey data to produce a graphic map integrated
with tabular information.  The industry actually does not define the term
very precisely as of yet.

I would propose collecting interesting articles and posting the compilation
to an appropriate newsgroup, maybe sci.misc.  If you have any thoughts on
how to structure such a project, I would like to hear from you.  I have
scanned the list of existing newsletters, and there are none that address
this field.

Robert White
rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.com

etnpp@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Richard Lammers) (09/08/89)

In article <1883@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM> rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) writes:
>I would like to see if there are enough users on the net interested
>in Geographic Information Systems (i.e. Arc/Info, DeltaSystems, Tydac, etc)
>to warrant a newsletter.

  [stuff deleted]

>Robert White
>rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.com

I would be very interested a newsletter, I think there are a lot of
geographers out there in GIS who are connected to the net. If there
is enough interest generated maybe it could be extended to sci.geog.

As for suggestions, I think that it should address issues not only in
existing systems but those under development as well. It would
also be a good place to put conference announcements and maybe even
the abstracts.

--

Richard Lammers                       etnpp@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Dept. of Geography                    lammers@eos.geog.utoronto.ca

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (09/09/89)

In article <1883@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM>, rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) writes:
> I would like to see if there are enough users on the net interested
> in Geographic Information Systems (i.e. Arc/Info, DeltaSystems, Tydac, etc)
> to warrant a newsletter.  A GIS is a program capable of performing spatial

I would *definitely* be interested in a newsletter, email list or newsgroup that
discussed the concerns of GIS users.  GIS doesn't seem to fit into any category;
it has aspects of computer graphics, database, image processing.  It is used on
every sort of machine from IBM mainframes to workstations to PCs.

Part of the problem with getting GIS going on the net is due to the nature of
the agencies participating in GIS.  Much of the GIS work is done by government
groups who do not know about Usenet, electronic mail, etc., neither do they see
any benefit (since there are no groups discussing GIS).  Also, government
agencies are very sensitive about possible security risks of tying to networks.
This leads to a Catch-22 situation since you don't get a newsgroup unless
there are users and there are no users without a  newsgroup.

Nonetheless it behooves those of us who are enlightened :^) to educate the rest
about the benefits of the network.  Starting a newsletter would be a good first
step.

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or

clh@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (09/13/89)

From the blurb for GIS'90:
	GIS'90 will be the world's premier forestry GIS event of the 1990
	season.
	It will be your opportunity to join up to 1000 other professionals
	and managers from all over the world who share your interest in the
	effective use of geographic information systems in forestry and
	natural resource management.
	Over the last three years this GIS event has proven to be the best
	place for getting current, practical information, for meeting
	leading GIS experts and for exchanging ideas with fellow practitioners.

GIS'90 will be held in Vancouver, B.C. Canada, March 14-16, 1990 at the
Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre.  For an information package,
contact:
	GIS'90
	Symposium Office
	134 Abbott Street
	Suite 303
	Vancouver B.C. Canada
	V6B 2K4
	Voice: 1 604 688 0188
	Fax: 1 604 682 2987

Anyone who is interested in submitting a paper should contact Paddy O'Reilly
at the Symposium Office ASAP.  For those who can't bear to use the telephone
or snail mail, send me some e-mail and I'll pass it on.

One last thing: I have to moderate two panel discussions at GIS'90.  One is
"Sharing the Data: Networking and Communications"; the other is
"GIS Hardware: Micros vs Workstations vs Mainframes".  The idea of these
panel discussions is that the three panellists will present their paper (about
20 minutes per paper), and the remaining half hour will be taken up by a
discussion between panellists and audience.  The papers are meant to be
case studies - either why something works or why it doesn't (ie, no
vaporware).  If anyone is particularly interested in presenting papers in
these topics, or has any valuable suggestions, please let me know via e-mail.

One last thing: for those who are interested but cannot attend, proceedings
can be ordered from the above address.

Thanks.

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!tacitus!clh         V5Z 1E5