[sci.misc] Biosphere II

lains@world.std.com (Layne L Ainsworth) (09/16/90)

In article <12548@ists.ists.ca> white@nereid.ists.ca (Harold Peter White) writes:

>I seldom read this group, so please reply via e-mail, or follow-up to sci.misc.
>

>I watched a news report last night on Biosphere II, quite an amazing experiment.
>There was one fact that I was not made sure of however, that I wonder if
>someone could confirm the facts for me.
>  Is this project like a bubble, with the dirt put in the bubble to grow food
>in, or is Biosphere II built on the ground, without the bottom physically
>preventing contact between Earth and the `Biosphere II' ground? (Even if its not
>the former, I'd still be inpressed)
>  Also, where would I look to see any progress reports? Do the project people
>publish any updates, results, or conclusions anywhere?

Yes, the enclosure sits on a huge stainless steel tray to seal it from the
earth.  For more complete details (if what was on the news bore any
resemblance to what I forced myself to sit through on the Today show, you
will need them) try the Summer 1990 (#67) issue of The Whole Earth Review.

Actually, the WER is a good 'zine to look at anyway.  Lots of articles on
the fringe, but at least an equal amount of decent articles and book reviews.

Sorry for the plug, but I love this magazine.

--
        -Layne Ainsworth

lains@world.std.com <or> |  It is impossible to prepare simultanteously for war
...!uunet!world!lains    |  and peace and still have time for golf. -Anon.