[net.sf-lovers] Spock didn't have to die...

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (05/10/84)

In article <433@sri-arpa.UUCP> Ed Blanchett@RU-GREEN.ARPA writes:

>I don't think that the sensors couldn't lock onto the Reliant to beam Genesis
>aboard (V9, #75) is quite the right explanantion. Having just seen ST-II on
>cable last night (for the umpteenth time), the sensors were indeed working,
>and trained onto the Reliant (for Spock says that he is "picking up an unusual
>energy wave from the Reliant" - the Genesis Wave). If the sensors were working,
>it should have been very easy to lock onto Genesis to stop it from detonating.
>Another possible explanation might be that the energy wave might have been
>lethal to be around (there were lots of gases coming from Genesis when it was
>building up), making it somewhat difficult to be in the Transporter Room with
>it at the same time.

It is much easier to detect that something is there than to determine
exactly where it is.  If the sensors were so scrambled during the battle
that the Enterprise could not see the Reliant to fire at it, why should
they suddenly become clear after the battle?

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/11/84)

<Eat this line.  Make my day.>

   First of all, an apology is in order, just in case my first abortive attempt
to submit an article succeeded in generating an empty article.  I apologize.

   Secondly, Spock really did have to die.  Even if sensors could lock onto the
Genesis machine and beam it aboard the Enterprise, what could be done with it
then?  At most, they could beam it a few hundred (thousand?) miles away.  I've
never seen transporters used at ranges much farther than that.  The genesis
wave, in order to scrape up enough dust from the cloud they were in to create
a planet and a sun for it would have had to extend for a range of at least
several light hours, probably more.  Thus, the ONLY way for anyone on the
Enterprise to survive was to warp out of there.

			Jeff Sonntag

randy@utcsrgv.UUCP (Randall S. Becker) (05/13/84)

	I disagree that transporters, assuming they exist, could not
	be used to remove the problem of the genesis machine. If you
	would recall the episode "Wolf in the Fold"...

	The entity who once was called Jack the Ripper, and who migrated
	to Rigel IV with mankind, and then to Argelius has taken over the
	Enterprise computer system. The crew and computer system (!) are
	given some form of a tranquilizer forcing the being into a "dead"
	body. The body is then sedated and placed in the transporter and...

		beamed out into space at the widest possible angle!

	Given that our only source of information about the Enterprise is
	the series and previous movies, the genesis machine could have
	been dispersed.

	The "ionic" interference which blinded the Enterprise sensors
	would have probably caused the transporter to be unsafe (Because,
	it would not be able to reconstruct the transportee at the
	destination, which is the exact effect desired in this case.

--
		Randall S. Becker

		Usenet:	{dalcs,dciem,garfield,musocs,qucis,sask,titan,
			 trigraph,ubc-vision,utzoo,watmath,allegra,cornell,
			 decvax,decwrl,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!randy
		CSNET:	randy@Toronto
		ARPA:	randy%Toronto@CSNet-Relay

nglasser@yale-comix.UUCP (Nathan Glasser) (05/13/84)

I think the way the genesis probe was discussed was the following (I last
saw TWOK about 2 or 3 months ago): Spock noticed an unusual energy pattern.
David told him it was the genesis wave. Kirk suggested that they beam it
aboard and disable it, but David told him that there was no way to stop
it. So that's when it became clear that the only thing they could do was
warp out of there as fast as possible.

				Nathan Glasser
				..decvax!yale-comix!nglasser

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe) (05/14/84)

For all of you who are reading net.sf-lovers, you may wish to just post
Star Trek-related articles to net.startrek.  We can anticipate another
flood of news around the release date of ST3, so let's not clutter up
net.sf-lovers when we have a good place to put the specialized traffic.

>	recall the episode "Wolf in the Fold"...
>	The entity . . . body is then sedated and placed in the
>	transporter and beamed out into space at the widest possible angle!
>	Given that our only source of information about the Enterprise is
>	the series and previous movies, the genesis machine could have
>	been dispersed.
>		Randall S. Becker

Well, Kirk did say to activate the transporter, "deep space . . . widest angle
of dispersion" but nowhere is it really made plain that the body was dispersed.
Remember that the entity could not be killed but would float in space, unable
to do harm, until it EVENTUALLY died.  The sedated body was only used as a
"container" for the entity until they could get it out of the ship.  What
happened to the body itself was of no consequence since the entity did not
need a body in order to live.  It would die whether it was dispersed or not.
And the entity could not be affected.  No, we have no real evidence to
indicate that the body (or the entity) was actually dispersed into separate
molecules.  Infer all you want, but if our only source of information is to
be the TV episodes and movies, we cannot reasonably establish that the Genesis
device could have been dispersed without harming the Enterprise.
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe