[sci.lang] pronouns for Bryce

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (01/01/70)

[ Note that I am adding sci.lang to the newsgroup heading and redirecting
  followups there; please do the same if you reply to a different article
  in this thread. ]

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>One could also use the well-established third-person singular neuter pronoun
>that begins this sentence.  When using "one", one's sentences read differently
>from sentences that use "he" or "she", and one runs the risk of sounding arch,
>but one is clearly not being sexist.

'One' is an arch substitute for colloquial 'you', and acts as a general
pronoun that doesn't require an antecedent instead of a definite pronoun
that does.  Overloading it with meanings this similar would probably be
unacceptably ambiguous:

	"That's a nice baby, isn't one."

	"One of the receptionists finally got around to receiving me, and one
	told me that Mr. Bigglesworth would be back from lunch shortly."
	    (The two 'one's are co-referential).

I tend to use foo, since it's easy to pronounce and one (:-) doesn't ever
need to run computer descriptions and people-talk so closely
together that 'one's uses as third person pronoun and metasyntactic variable
conflict.  Also:

	who	where	when	whither	whence	wherefore
	thoo	there	then	thither	thence	therefore
	who	here		hither	hence	wherefore
	(the top 'who' and 'wherefore' are interogative;
	the bottom ones are relative -- kludge)

It is impossible to get a new word introduced into English with hard th
('then') instead of soft 'th' ('thistle'), and 'foo' comes close to 'thoo'
with a soft 'th'.

sterritt@ge-mc3i.UUCP (Chris Sterritt) writes:
>NO NO A MILLION TIMES NO!!!!! Linguists DO NOT DICTATE LANGUAGE!!!! NO ONE
>HAS EVER EVER EVER SUGGESTED SUCH A "FIX" FOR ANY HUMAN LANGUAGE AND HAD IT
>STICK (except in France).

(I'm glad letters only have two cases!)  Exactly.  The way to get a word
introduced is to use it, not to prescribe it.  I've only been able to get
this to work for small groups of people (under 100).

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org