[sci.lang] Language committees

cctimar@watrose.UUCP (Cary Timar) (10/22/86)

In article <8209@watrose.UUCP> rgdutton@watrose.UUCP (Rob Dutton) writes:
>I hear that in Iceland the government has some committee set up to
>monitor the day-to-day use/development of their language, to ensure
>that it doesn't change in any undesirable way.

Actually most major languages (except English) have such committees.
I do know they exist for French and Hebrew, and I believe that such
committees were responsible for spelling improvements in German,
Spanish and Hungarian in the 19th century.

A text I once used mentioned a tribe whose language had to change
rapidly because of taboos.  This tribe had a council of elderly women
whose function was to decide the new vocabulary as necessary.  This
institution might have been ancient.

At any rate, this leaves English as the (only?) major language which
evolves freely as the need arises, rather than being restricted by
arbitrary rulings of a governing body.
--

			-- Cary Timar

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (10/23/86)

In article <8212@watrose.UUCP> cctimar@watrose.UUCP (Cary Timar) writes:
>A text I once used mentioned a tribe whose language had to change
>rapidly because of taboos.  This tribe had a council of elderly women
>whose function was to decide the new vocabulary as necessary.

I wish I could remember the reference, but in time-honored usnet tradition
I'll just comment out of ignorance.  I believe the situation was that
people's names were taken from objects in nature (animals, etc.).  When
someone died, their name became taboo (to avoid angering their spirit, I
suppose).  But since you needed a word to refer to the thing that person had
been named after, someone had to make up a new word for that object.  It would
be interesting to know how long people remembered that a word was taboo, i.e.
whether in the long run the old word or the new one was remembered...  It
would certainly make a mess of glottochronology!  Anyone remember where the
tribe was?  Australia??
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Advanced Technology Center

othar@zeus.cs.ucla.edu (Othar Hansson) (10/24/86)

In article <8212@watrose.UUCP> cctimar@watrose.UUCP (Cary Timar) writes:
>In article <8209@watrose.UUCP> rgdutton@watrose.UUCP (Rob Dutton) writes:
>>I hear that in Iceland the government has some committee set up to
>>monitor the day-to-day use/development of their language, to ensure
>>that it doesn't change in any undesirable way.
>
>Actually most major languages (except English) have such committees.
>I do know they exist for French and Hebrew, and I believe that such ...
>
>At any rate, this leaves English as the (only?) major language which
>evolves freely as the need arises, rather than being restricted by
>arbitrary rulings of a governing body.

I'd prefer the arbitrary rulings of a governed body to the inept
coinage system that you have in this country: in effect, you let science
writers, newscasters, ad-men and the white house press secretary make up
new vocabulary as they need it.

In Iceland, we try to do it in a more intelligent and thoughtful manner,
and this has preserved (somewhat) the language from Americanisms.  Of
course, there is some lag time, and a lot of times you just can't come
up with a better word.  However, I think the overall consequence is a much
greater command of the language by the average speaker, because the
average word has a more intelligent (and native) etymology.  Also, this
official policy against linguistic borrowing has kept the language close
to what it was 1000 years ago (as opposed to Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian,
which have all changed radically) - but that also has to do with centuries
of isolation.

This is not to say that Icelanders are particularly xenophobic about
language - most of us know 5 languages, or we wouldn't be able to
survive in the world.  It's just that a "language" is really just a
dialect with an army, and as we Icelanders only have a laughable Coast
Guard, we have to make sure that our language is defended by other
means.

Othar Hansson

   othar@zeus.cs.ucla.edu
   {randvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!othar

cctimar@watrose.UUCP (Cary Timar) (10/26/86)

In article <2441@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> othar@zeus (Othar Hansson) writes:
>In Iceland, we try to do it in a more intelligent and thoughtful manner,
>and this has preserved (somewhat) the language from Americanisms.
>average word has a more intelligent (and native) etymology.  Also, this
>official policy against linguistic borrowing has kept the language close
>to what it was 1000 years ago (as opposed to Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian,

Many introductory texts on historical linguistics begin with a
discussion of attitudes.  Two pervasive approaches are expressed by
calling language change either "corruption" or "evolution".  The first
supposes that the original language is being corrupted by changes in
usage and meaning.  This is particularly popular among school teachers
and language committees.

The "evolution" approach is more rare, but it suggests that the language
is continually being improved by people who make necessary changes to it.
This is most often seen when discussing the languages used by secluded,
non-technological tribes.  People say things like "This primitive language
does not even allow the speaker to indicate tense!" and ignore the reason
that the speakers don't think in terms of tenses per se.  It is simply
assumed that such primitive technology indicates a primitive tribe which
therefore has primitive society, primitive morals, primitive language, ...

Neither approach is fair.  Languages change by the implicit mutual
agreement of their speakers.  I personally do not like the words
"prioritize" or "utilize", but I understand them, and therefore
implicitly accept them.  The case where I do not accept a word occurs
when somebody says "Please get me a bleeg." and I do not act on it.  If
he does not achieve the desired results with the word "bleeg" he will
eventually have to start saying "apple" instead (no compulsion, but it
will make life easier for him).

Back to my point.  I see no advantage to keeping a language true to its
origins.  It is nice to be able to read ancient works, I agree, but those
who care enough will learn the dead language (which usually isn't that
hard).  English will continue to evolve randomly, though slower than it
would have before printing and audio tapes.  Usually, English speakers
will be mutually intelligible (I mean, if it gets much worse than it is
now, we simply declare it to be more than one language :-)  If the
language splits and changes radically, the world will nonetheless keep
some "lingua franca" (maybe even French again, so that it'd make sense
:-)

Anyway, _in_my_personal_opinion_ the world requires a lingua franca that
can bend any which way in the hands of both the expert and inexpert
speaker.  English currently fulfills this function.  An English
Standardization Committee would probably only reduce the currency of the
language.
--

			-- Cary Timar