[sci.lang] French variants

alan@idec.stc.co.uk (Alan Spreadbury) (11/07/86)

Can any of our Belgian, Swiss or Canadian friends enlighten me
(and the rest of the net) as to what the variants in the French
names of the numbers seventy, eighty and ninety are, and where
they are used?  I know that the French-as-spoken-in-France names
are soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatre-vingt-dix, and that
the French-as-spoken-in-Belgium name for seventy is septante.

I remember having heard that the names octante and/or huitante,
and nonante and/or neuvante (sp?) were in use somewhere in the
French-speaking world, but I have no idea how much truth there
is in this.

Alan Spreadbury.

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (11/09/86)

In article <742@argon.idec.stc.co.uk> alan@idec.stc.co.uk (Alan Spreadbury) writes:
>Can any of our Belgian, Swiss or Canadian friends enlighten me
>(and the rest of the net) as to what the variants in the French
>names of the numbers seventy, eighty and ninety are, and where
>they are used?  I know that the French-as-spoken-in-France names
>are soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatre-vingt-dix, and that
>the French-as-spoken-in-Belgium name for seventy is septante.
>
>I remember having heard that the names octante and/or huitante,
>and nonante and/or neuvante (sp?) were in use somewhere in the
>French-speaking world, but I have no idea how much truth there
>is in this.

They are used in Switzerland.
--
Larry Campbell       MCI: LCAMPBELL          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell      120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109