[sci.lang] Artificial Languages references wanted

pearl@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Starbuck) (11/16/86)

Hi,

I am doing a research paper on Artificial or Universal languages such
as Esperanto and others. Can anyone post or mail me references, books,

and such describing the various attempts of making artificial
universal languages, their history, criteria for becoming one, etc.

Thank you.

					Shade and Sweet Water,
					Stephen Pearl

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (11/18/86)

In article <7066@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> pearl@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Starbuck) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I am doing a research paper on Artificial or Universal languages such
>as Esperanto and others. Can anyone post or mail me references, books,
>
>and such describing the various attempts of making artificial
>universal languages, their history, criteria for becoming one, etc.
>

>Thank you.
>
>					Shade and Sweet Water,
>					Stephen Pearl

The most recent work that I know of is
_The_Artificial_Language_Movement_, by
Andrew Large (Basil Blackwell, 1985).

Large makes the interesting point that notwithstanding the sometimes
acrimonious feuds between partisans of this or that language project,
it is unlikely that the acceptance or rejection of an international
auxiliary language (IAL) will depend very heavily upon *linguistic*
factors.

For example, since the original publication of Esperanto in 1887, a
great many flaws or blemishes in the language have been noted.  Some
are relatively trivial (in my opinion) while others are rooted more
deeply in the language.  A number of "improved" versions of Esperanto
have, not surprisingly, been proposed.  Most conspicuous is Ido
(literally, "offspring"), apparently the project of a leading French
Esperantist (in 1907) named de Beaufront, and the logician Couturat.
The linguist Jespersen also came to favor Ido, and eventually to
propose an improved language of his own, Novial.  Some detail about
these projects is given in Large's book.  The mathematician Peano's
work in Interlingua (*one* of the Interlinguas) is also described.

During WWII, Lancelot Hogben published another IAL called
"Interglossa".  Interglossa's claim to fame was its total lack of
inflections and total reliance upon particles and word order to
preserve grammatical information.  Hogben argued that since the
historical record shows most languages evolving in the direction of
fewer inflections, this is a more "natural" or "evolved" kind of
language.  For various reasons, Interglossa was ignored.

Recently, it has been revived as Glosa, by R. Ashby and W. Clarke.
The vocabulary of Glosa is drawn mainly from Greek , because it is
argued that the most internationally recognizable words -- scientific
and technical terms -- are already composed mainly from Greek stems.
The syntax and morphology, they claim, is more like Chinese.

Large argues that, from a linguistic standpoint, one IAL is probably
as good as another.  Presence or absence of inflections will not have
the world beating a path to one's door.  Social and political
considerations will determine the fate of any IAL.  On the other hand,
many people argue that the *accessibility* of any IAL needs to be
given a great deal of thought, so that even apparently minor
linguistic modifications could have major consequences for the
suitability of the language.

Todd Moody