[sci.lang] Bilingualism: A negative viewpoint

wes@ukecc.UUCP (Wes Morgan) (11/17/86)

Considering the current movement to render the United States a
bilingual/multilingual country, certain points need to be made.
If these points have been mentioned previously, I apologize; I
only recently began reading this group.

1. With immigration to the United States continuing at its present
   level <not to mention the new amnesty program>, the United States
   is fast becoming a true "melting pot"; a wider variety of national-
   ities are represented in today's population than ever before. This
   brings the concept of national identity to a critical point. Should
   these immigrants be assimilated into the American identity, or should
   they maintain a separate enclave along the lines of Chinatown or
   Little Sicily?  I prefer the former option.

2. An American of some repute (I cannot recall the name) once claimed
   that language was the great unifier in any nation.  This can be his-
   torically affirmed by such civil conflicts as the Basque minority
   in Spain and the tribal problems in numerous African nations.  It is
   critical to a nation's survival and prosperity to employ a single,
   relatively universal language.

3. Effecting a national bilingualism/multilingualism would create an
   inestimable myriad of bureaucracy in both governmental and private
   actions.  Imagine, if you will, a bilingual Army in the next war;
   communication drops to zero, effectiveness drops to zero, casulties
   increase exponentially.  <Prior to flaming me, consider the fact that
   I served 2 1/2 years in the US Army at Fort Hood, Texas, which certainly
   has a large Hispanic population.>  Also consider the day-to-day operation
   of any sizable industry.  Could you deal with, say, eating in a public
   restaurant and being unable to converse with your waiter?  Think about
   the parallel effects in dealing with law enforcement or medical opera-
   tions.  Surely, you can grasp the inherant chaos in such a scenario.

4. Setting this type of precedent can prove dangerous.  Suppose that in
   20 years or so, another minority language rises to the position current-
   ly held by the Hispanic languages.  Would we then effect *another* offi-
   cial language??  Certainly, the argument could be made, but there must
   be an end to the process.  That end should be, as it has so far in
   American history, with the original language.  ENGLISH is, should be,
   and hopefully always will be the official language of the USA.

NOTE: It should be noted that I personally am bilingual; I have been a
      student of the Spanish language for 7 years and consider myself
      fluent.  It is my experience in Spanish-speaking environments that
      leads me to the opinions stated above.

Flames to personal mail, rational opposing viewpoints to the group.

--
    Wes Morgan           UUCP:       !cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!wes
                         BITNET:     CS0270A9@UKCC

    " Disclaimer? Huh? You mean this was supposed to be *MY* opinion?"

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (11/18/86)

>Considering the current movement to render the United States a
>bilingual/multilingual country, certain points need to be made.

I think your characterization of the state of things has wrong
connotations.  This country has always been quite multilingual. There
was a point in the 1800's (?) I am told that more inhabitants spoke
German than English. Furthermore, no one is trying to make the
country multilingual per se. Rather some of us are trying to be
respond to the needs of the residents and *citizens* for whom English
is not native nor used in their community.  In addition, I have never
heard of anyone who believes everyone in the US should *not* be taught
to be fluent in English. You are attacking a straw man.

>   This
>   brings the concept of national identity to a critical point. Should
>   these immigrants be assimilated into the American identity, or should
>   they maintain a separate enclave along the lines of Chinatown or
>   Little Sicily?  I prefer the former option.

You imply that how immigrants wind up assimilated is a matter of a policy
set and executed by someone. Additionally, I wonder what you mean to entail
by the words "American identity"? Does this mean celebrating certain
holidays, Christmas? Does this mean behaving like a WASP? Does this mean
aspiring to a heterosexual family-oriented suburban lifestyle in the suburbs?
Eating Chinese food only once a month? Where does one draw the boundaries?
--
Rob Bernardo, San Ramon, CA        "Whenever I get the urge to work,
(415) 823-2417                      I log in and read the netnews

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (11/18/86)

In article <1018@ptsfb.UUCP> rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>Considering the current movement to render the United States a
>>bilingual/multilingual country, certain points need to be made.
>
>I think your characterization of the state of things has wrong
>connotations.  This country has always been quite multilingual. There
>was a point in the 1800's (?) I am told that more inhabitants spoke
>German than English.

   That was then, this is now. The fact more people spoke german then
 english is interesting, any references? I would argue that times are
 differnent. Just daily living was harder back then, and there was no
 ethnic this or that either ( or at least not in the same way of today).

>Furthermore, no one is trying to make the
>country multilingual per se. Rather some of us are trying to be
>respond to the needs of the residents and *citizens* for whom English
>is not native nor used in their community.  In addition, I have never
>heard of anyone who believes everyone in the US should *not* be taught
>to be fluent in English. You are attacking a straw man.

     Sure I like to help people to, but there comes a time when to help
   a person in some way (while making you feel good) is harmful to the
   person being helped. Yes, he was attacking a "straw man", but in back
   of the straw man is an evil wizard pulling the strings. The wizard
   is called the nature of human beings. Its the ole " give him an inch
   and he'll end up wanting the whole mountain" , syndrome.
     My wife's japanese, if everyone spoke only japanese and give her
   everything she wanted to hear, read, or needed in japanese she would
   have no use to even bother with english. If you take away her incentive
   to learn english then she will not learn english. If you only give her
   half of everything in japanese then she will only learn english perhaps
   only half as much, but probably less then half then if you give her almost
   no japanese, and force her to learn english.
     If you make up centers that distribute information or what ever in
   a particular language then you will probably get groupings around this
   center of that language, hence chinatowns or whatever will emerge
   every where. I am not saying this is bad, but very probably undesirable.

>>   This
>>   brings the concept of national identity to a critical point. Should
>>   these immigrants be assimilated into the American identity, or should
>>   they maintain a separate enclave along the lines of Chinatown or
>>   Little Sicily?  I prefer the former option.
>
>You imply that how immigrants wind up assimilated is a matter of a policy
>set and executed by someone.

    But then you want to make your own policy to distribute information
 in a persons own language. Who is more right ?

 Opinions on reflection may not even be mine.

 mark

peterl@alberta.UUCP (11/18/86)

In article <783@ukecc.UUCP>, wes@ukecc.UUCP (Wes Morgan) writes:
>    Should
>    these immigrants be assimilated into the American identity, or should
>    they maintain a separate enclave along the lines of Chinatown or
>    Little Sicily?  I prefer the former option.
  Wes, you are saying that multiculturalism is fine as long as every
  person of a different culture sacrifice his/her culture, and be submerged
  to something called the 'American culture'.  You used an analogy of a melting
  pot. That is great.  But you fail to understand that to be a melting pot,
  the American culture needs to evolve with input from the cultures immigrants
  bring in.  That is the true spirit.  Your idea of a melting pot is that
  all culture and ways of life must be destroyed for the benefit of th
  American culture.

> NOTE: It should be noted that I personally am bilingual; I have been a
>       student of the Spanish language for 7 years and consider myself
>       fluent.  It is my experience in Spanish-speaking environments that
>       leads me to the opinions stated above.
  You think just because you studied Spanish for 7 years, you are qualified
  as bilingual.  What a Dream!

   In conclusion, Wes Morgan , I say you are a racist.  I think you
   are one of those people who think hot dogs are the greatest things
   on earth.

anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) (11/19/86)

In article <524@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
[much abridged...]
>      My wife's japanese, if everyone spoke only japanese and give her
>    everything she wanted to hear, read, or needed in japanese she would
>    have no use to even bother with english.
[...]
But Mark, that "if" is not very realistic, is it? I've studied a fair
number of languages, for a variety of reasons, mostly to get access to
literatures that are untranslated or difficult to render into English, with
the added dividend (again, largely aesthetic, as opposed to practical) of
being able to speak some of those languages. Yet if I were to move to one
of those countries, I would welcome the opportunity to become *more*
multilingual, that is, I would not *want* to give up my native language
just because I was surrounded by a new milieu. Rather, I'd want to add to
my experiences in *both* languages.
[...]
>      If you make up centers that distribute information or what ever in
>    a particular language then you will probably get groupings around this
>    center of that language, hence chinatowns or whatever will emerge
>    every where. I am not saying this is bad, but very probably undesirable.

I would agree that language enclaves present social, political, and
other complexities, but on balance, I think they're more beneficial
than harmful. I see no good reason why the whole society cannot share
the (admittedly more expensive) costs *and* benefits of cultural
diversity, especially when it promotes the general enrichment. If
indeed we mean it when we say we respect others, I think that means
respecting them as they are, possibly at some inconvenience (higher
taxes, special schooling, multilingual political processes, etc.) to
ourselves. I don't think language manifestations of ethnic diversity
are fundamentally different from other manifestations, and I think
any program that seeks to diminish the vigor of such diversities tends
toward a conformity that in the last analysis works against us. In all
of this (I think this was one of your points, or maybe Rob Bernardo's),
I am assuming that those who wish to learn *our* language have good
opportunities for doing so *if they choose to.* Given the obvious
advantages, many would want to, I assume. But why reduce the options
of those who do *not* want to, especially if doing so goes against
not only their interests, but ours as well?
   (Of course, most of us could know any of the languages we happen
to know better, again to our benefit. For example, illiteracy rates
in the US are shockingly high, and quite a few of us have trouble
with clear, simple, correct prose (not to mention spelling!) :-)
[...]
--
==ARPA:====================anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,topaz,                           1210 W. Dayton    |

cctimar@watrose.UUCP (11/19/86)

In article <783@ukecc.UUCP> wes@ukecc.UUCP (Wes Morgan) writes:
> that language was the great unifier in any nation.  This can be his-
> torically affirmed by such civil conflicts as the Basque minority
> in Spain and the tribal problems in numerous African nations.  It is
> critical to a nation's survival and prosperity to employ a single,
> relatively universal language.

Historically, I think you will find that language does not run as deep
as religion, race, culture, or property.  The cited examples, though I
know little about them, would appear to reflect these latter differences
as much as the former.

Sure, there is some strain in Belgium between speakers of French and
Flemish, but not as serious (well, it doesn't look as serious from here)
as the previous Catholic-Protestant problems they had (in the United
Netherlands).  Note that the Netherlands were divided by religion rather
than language.

The situations in Ireland and Lebanon are instances where a single
language has failed to unify a nation.  Switzerland is a case where four
official national languages and English (and both Catholics and
Protestants) have not damaged survival or prosperity.

A related argument is that a single language should define a single
nation.  (I know you didn't say this, but I am pointing out the relation
before someone says something stupid.  The Germans used this argument for
aggression.)

I admit that the rest being equal, a nation with one language will be
more unified than one with many, but I think that the languages that
count are the ones spoken, not the "official" ones.  Legislating a
single national language in Canada or Belgium would probably go over
like legislating a single national religion in Ireland or Lebanon.

	-- Cary

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (11/19/86)

In article <526@uwmacc.UUCP> anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) writes:
>In article <524@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:

>>      My wife's japanese, if everyone spoke only japanese and give her
>>    everything she wanted to hear, read, or needed in japanese she would
>>    have no use to even bother with english.

>But Mark, that "if" is not very realistic, is it? I've studied a fair
>number of languages, for a variety of reasons, mostly to get access to
>literatures that are untranslated or difficult to render into English, with
>the added dividend (again, largely aesthetic, as opposed to practical) of
>being able to speak some of those languages.

   Realistic you say? Yes I was being realistic, and I have evidence to
 support my claims. I was stationed in Misawa, Japan ( A US Air Base)
 a base that had over 3,000 americans and many had their wives and children
 along with them, living on or around the base. Grant it that this is
 some what an artificial case, perhaps the extreme, but yet relevant.
 Only a small percentage of the Americans regularly ventured off the
 base, and most of them that did could not converse with the natives
 in their language. When I say their stay was limited, I am talking about
 anywhere from 1 and a half years to 3 or 4 years.
   A big reason they did not go off base is that off base was a foreign
 country. On base was America, meaning we used the American dollar as
 exchange, ate American food, went to see American movies, and conversed
 with each other in the American language. The problem is even worse now
 because of the exchange rate. When I went back in May it was a popular
 topic on Japanese TV.

>Yet if I were to move to one
>of those countries, I would welcome the opportunity to become *more*
>multilingual, that is, I would not *want* to give up my native language
>just because I was surrounded by a new milieu. Rather, I'd want to add to
>my experiences in *both* languages.

    I would argue that we ( you and I ) are different. I did regularly
 go off base, and I did learn Japanese. But I do not think it is fair
 to say that every one would. My parents went over to Japan in May.
 When it was time for lunch, it was time for a big mac attack. I think
 its fair to say that their was a good cross section of Americans on
 base, most prefered the "easy" way out, to speak and eat American.

>   (Of course, most of us could know any of the languages we happen
>to know better, again to our benefit. For example, illiteracy rates
>in the US are shockingly high, and quite a few of us have trouble
>with clear, simple, correct prose (not to mention spelling!) :-)

 I am glad you mentioned spelling and correct prose. My comments about
 spelling is the worst thing that happened to English is when they froze
 the spellings of words. Back in the good ole days the spelling of a
 word changed with the pronounciation. My opinion about prose is that
 I would like to sue my Junior High and High Schools for failure to
 properly teach me the rudiments of english. ( What do you think? Could
 I make millions ?)

 mark

jankok@mcvax.uucp (Jan Kok) (11/20/86)

In article <8273@watrose.UUCP> cctimar@watrose.UUCP (Cary Timar) writes:
>. . .
>Sure, there is some strain in Belgium between speakers of French and
>Flemish, but not as serious (well, it doesn't look as serious from here)
>as the previous Catholic-Protestant problems they had (in the United
>Netherlands).  Note that the Netherlands were divided by religion rather
>than language.
>. . .
It is generally accepted by scientists that the latter assertion is wrong.
However, it is not the main topic of this discussion so I will keep my
comment restricted to a few lines.
1. I would not compare present-day strain about French and Flemish with
what went on during the 16th century part of the Dutch independence war.
2. The then-Netherlands (today's Netherlands and Belgium) belonged to
Spain. The revolt started and was continued because of economic suppression
irrespective of religion (though taxes are much higher today).
3. That the protestant minority was severely persecuted by the Spanish
occupant was not the cause of the revolt, and the presecution was objected to
by all protestants, most catholics, and even the Spanish's king representative
in Brussels.
4. The tolerance of the catholic inhabitants was merely a pretext for
further suppression, and they suffered as much for it as the protestants.
5. The net result was that protestants and many others (one third of the
Antwerp population) were driven to the north that eventually became
independent.
6. Like every summary, this is a simplification which does not do justice
to all aspects of what went on then. I only object to the statement that
the 16-th century Netherlands were DIVIDED by religion.
--
Mail: Jan Kok, CWI (afd. NW), Postbus 4079, NL-1009 AB Amsterdam, Nederland
UUCP: jankok@mcvax.uucp