[sci.lang] A Real Linguistics Question ?

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (02/25/87)

  I am thinking about doing a paper on a topic that I think is one of
 the Fundamental Problems of Linguistics. Namely, is a sentence always
 the proper datum for doing GB, GPSG or other roughly related research.

  Let me say outright that I am not a particular fan of GB or that line
 of research. I do like GPSG, but one of its problems is that its roots
 are in GB, or the basis for GB.

  Chomsky would argue that a sentence is the proper place for doing work
 in Linguistics (syntax ?). He would also say that sentences that seem
 gramatical in a certain context are really syntactically ungrammatical,
 but pragmatically correct. Or something on that line of thought.

  What I am interested in, is any references or any thoughts (specific
 examples) on this topic.

  Thanks
  mark
--
    edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards

goldberg@su-russell.UUCP (02/26/87)

[I have directed follow-up to sci.lang alone.  It was no doubt
the lack of discussion of linguistics that was behind the
original misposting to a group other than sci.lang]

In article <1111@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:

>  I am thinking about doing a paper on a topic that I think is one of
> the Fundamental Problems of Linguistics. Namely, is a sentence always
> the proper datum for doing GB, GPSG or other roughly related research.

Generalized Phrase Structure Grammar (GPSG) is a theory that will
let one write grammars that define phrase structure trees.  Thus a
grammar written using GPSG not only defines the class of
well-formed Ss, but also the class of well-formed NPs, PPs,
A's, etc.

Government and Binding theory (GB) is much more a theory about Ss.
I do not see how it could tell you whether an NP in isolation is
well formed:  It would neither be assigned Case nor a Theta-role.

But, somehow, I gather that you are really asking about units
larger then the sentence.  I will get to that below.

>  Let me say outright that I am not a particular fan of GB or that line
> of research. I do like GPSG, but one of its problems is that its roots
> are in GB, or the basis for GB.

GPSG is not derivative of GB in any sense.  But GPSG and GB have
common origins.  Both are theories of "Generative Syntax" (but
see the first chapter of "GPSG" by Gazdar, Klein, Pullum, and
Sag for a statement that GP fails to meet the criteria of
generative syntax.) I do not want to go over the entire history
of the field, but the lasting split in gernative syntax occured
when Chomsky decide that he didn't like Raising To Object.
Until that time, syntacticians (I got tired of writing
"generative" all over the place) treated "Mary" in (1) to be
structurally the object of "expect" at surface structure.

(1)  He expected Mary to be late.

	______|_______
	|            |
	NP           VP
	|    ________|_________
	He   |       |        |
	     V       NP       ?
	     |       |        |
	  expected  Mary  to be late

Instead Chomsky wanted a structure more like:

	_____|______
	|          |
	NP         VP
	|    ______|_______
	He   |            |
	     V            S
	     |      ______|______
	  expected  |    |      |
		    NP  INFL    VP
		    |    |      |
		   Mary  to  be late

It was about this time that people who had sided with him during
a previous battle broke off and developed other theories:
Relational Grammar (Perlmutter and Postal) and Micheal Brame's
nontransformational theory.  Based on these and on serious
thought about semantics (mostly by people who had lost the
previous war with the Chomsky line), other theories came into
being:  Lexical Functional Grammar (Bresnan), Arc Pair Grammar
(Postal), Montague Grammar (Partee, Dowty).  All of these people
essentaily treated "Mary" in (1) as the object of expect at
their surface level.

Meanwhile, the Chomsky line went from Standard Theory (where he too
had Raising to Object) to the Extended Standard Theory to the
Revised Extended Standard Theory (some people called it "the Over
extended Standard Theory") to GB and now to "Barriers".

Again, this is just talking about generative syntax.  There were
and are those opposed to the entire enterprise, but space doesn't
permit mention of them here.

Anyway, to come to the point about GPSG, it has been described as
the result of an "unholy marriage of Bresnan and Montague", and had
its start with a couple of papers by Gerald Gazdar in '81 and '82.

>  Chomsky would argue that a sentence is the proper place for doing work
> in Linguistics (syntax ?). He would also say that sentences that seem
> gramatical in a certain context are really syntactically ungrammatical,
> but pragmatically correct. Or something on that line of thought.
>  Chomsky would argue that a sentence is the proper place for doing work
> in Linguistics (syntax ?). He would also say that sentences that seem
> gramatical in a certain context are really syntactically ungrammatical,
> but pragmatically correct. Or something on that line of thought.

>  What I am interested in, is any references or any thoughts (specific
> examples) on this topic.

I am not sure that I understand what you are asking here.  Chomsky
talks about what is called the competance/performance distinction.
While many people who attack generative syntax attack this working
hypothesis, only a few people in sociolinguistics have presented
any alternative.  For the most part, both generativists and
anti-generativists make this distinction.  Generativists do it
overtly, that is all.

But to get back to your original question, there are linguists who
look a things larger then the sentence.  It is not clear that there
are linguistically definable units at those larger levels, thus
making the sentence the largest unit that one can really try to say
things about.  But just because there aren't larger units doesn't
mean that there is nothing for linguists to discover at what is
called "the discourse level".  It is a useful thing to look at, and
I wish you well with it.

>  Thanks
>  mark
>--
>    edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu
>    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards
>    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

Jeff Goldberg
ARPA:   goldberg@russell.stanford.edu, goldberg@csli.stanford.edu
UUCP:   ...!ucbvax!russell.stanford.edu!goldberg

The Bulgarian team will not assassinate him.  The cipher key
won't get to Pest.  (The preceding two sentence are to annoy
various security organizations.  Create your own.)