[sci.lang] Wrong newsgroup was: Literacy

tes@whuts.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <4694@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

> to water as H20 and salt as Sodium Chloride...
              ^^^
              H2O
(sorry, could not resist)
> purpose of language is to communicate (or have you forgotten that?)
no, I just find the invention of jargon when the need is not
there, namely, plenty of *accepted* terms exist, to be
anti-communicative (is that a real word?).  The creating
and discarding of language by sub-cultures (Valley Girls,
Surf bums, etc.) is a well documented phenomenon.  I do
understand it in the context of "professional communications".

> "100K+" sounds like a bit of jargon to me, is that in your dictionary?
mea culpa
> ...rebozo...
> must be some idiomatic content to that but Webster isn't helping
it was (is) a metaphor, look at a picture, or any number of
grade-B westerns set in the SW United States.  By way of
another mea culpa, I really must constrain my right-brain
activities to *.poems.  That will avoid unnecessary angina
and make a major cut in rebuttals by those who do not
understand my "cleverness".

> You sirrah, are a boor.
Which brings me to the real point, I agree with those who feel
that this discussion is inappropriate here.  Follow-ups
to sci.lang. I doubt that I have much more to contribute,
but will be listening in on sci.lang.
--
    -----                    Terry Sterkel
  -====----              AT&T Bell Laboratories