[sci.lang] Currency symbols

dant@tekla.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60HC) (08/23/87)

>> P.S.: About extra letters: is the "$"-sign really the writing in one space
>> of "U" and "S"? So: "U.S. dollar" --> "$ dollar"

Henry Spencer:
>Close.  What I have been told is that the dollar sign is a scrunched form
>of PS, with the loop of the P getting lost in the shuffle.  Why PS?  Because
>the US took a long time to get its act together on a national currency, and
>the Mexican peso saw considerable use meanwhile.

Hmm... I remember seeing a 19 century political cartoon which had an
S with two vertical bars across it.  I don't remember if these bars
were from a U or not.  The text of the book (it was a history book
I think) claimed that this was the origin of the dollar sign.

I have a feeling that the dollar sign has almost as many "origins"
as the word "ok" does.

---
Dan Tilque
dant@tekla.tek.com  or dant@tekla.UUCP

This got me to wondering: what do those countries who don't have a
special currency symbol put in the ASCII currency location.  Please
e-mail responses, we don't need to flood the net with 600 messages
saying the same thing.  I'll summarize.

alan@mucs.UUCP (09/06/87)

Many currency symbols, especially those with a long history, are composed
of an alphabetic with some decoration, which in many cases has degenerated
into a stroke or two (rather like mathematicians' symbols for The Natural
Numbers, The Reals, etc).

For example, the English pound is written as an L (usually a curly one)
with a stroke through it.  "L" because the old Norman word for it was
"livre", derived from the same Latin root (librus?) as the Italian "lire".

"$" is used in other countries which call their currency units "dollars"; I
believe the Spanish conquistadores were responsible for spreading this
convention.  I would conjecture that the "S" which forms the basis of it
comes from the Latin "solidus"; like the pound/livre, the name changed at
some point but the symbol remained the same.

Why do I guess 'solidus'? In my earlier years, Britain had a peculiar
multiple-radix system of reckoning money in which the units were pounds,
shillings and pence, of which an instance is L1/12s/3d: L for libri, s for
solidi, and d for denarii, the old Latin names which were adopted for the
units in the middle ages.

Alan Wills
University of Manchester
--
Alan Wills
+44-61-273 7121 x5699

wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (09/09/87)

[...]
> 	(2)	whilst several posters have discussed the formation
> 		of $ and English Pound Sign & Yen in "and thats why
> 		the word led to the choice of symbol" form, it's worth
> 		recalling that these were established (like most of
> 		our writing conventions) AS PRINTERS KLUDGES - having
> 		to manufacture type was to much of an effort for any
> 		old phoneme to get slapped into 300 -odd sizes, piches,
> 		reversed/you-name-its, so doing it by overstrike and/or
> 		other cheats was commonsense.
>
> 		until typesetting came along spelling was in the eye
> 		of the beholder. If it sounded right then you writ it.
>
> 		if fome mechanical geniuf had invented a way to do the
                                   ^^^^^^
> 		big letter "f" fenfibly we'd probaby still be ufing it.

Small quibble here - the letter looked like an `f', but was really
a large `s' like the integral sign, sort of. In addition, the normal
`s' was used at the end of a word, so it still would have been `genuis'.
--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu

dant@tekla.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60HC) (09/11/87)

[Cleaning up some unfinished business before I leave for 2+ weeks.]

In article <2276@zeus.TEK.COM> I write:
>This got me to wondering: what do those countries who don't have a
>special currency symbol put in the ASCII currency location.  Please
>e-mail responses, we don't need to flood the net with 600 messages
>saying the same thing.  I'll summarize.

Three people sent me mail describing a generic currency symbol which
a few people use.  For example:

Anders Andersson (Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden):
]     ! ISO specifies a kind of neutral "currency sign", which looks like a
]     ! small circle with four small strokes pointing outwards from it (see
]*   *! the simple bitmap to the left, but make a circle out of that small
] *** ! square - the resolution could be better than 7x5). I don't know of
] * * ! any practical meaning for this symbol, which is sometimes called
] *** ! "sol". I considered it a nuisance when I started programming in BASIC
]*   *! many years ago, as I could never decide how to pronounce LEFT$(...).

]This sign appears on some terminals of those implementing the Swedish 7-bit
]ISO character set, but not all of them (they have a dollar sign instead). I
]believe it's similarly "common" on other European terminals (ISO standards
]seem to include it everywhere). I've learned that it's used in the Russian
](Cyrillic) standard also, but the Russians are probably the only ones who
]would actually *object* to seeing dollar signs on their equipment... To me,
]the "sol" is no more useful than a swastika (!) in the case I would actually
]like to talk about dollars.

]In Britain there is a Pound Sterling symbol, but it replaces the #, not $.
]I think this is good, as having the same code to represent symbols denoting
]totally different currencies could lead to fatal misunderstandings (in a
]commercial contract, for example). This was pointed out in net.nlang about
]a year ago I think.

I agree 100%.  I wasn't aware that the British used a different binary
representation for their currency symbol, but they made a good choice.
Besides the pun, the commecial pount symbol is one of the least used
characters and the few places that it is used, its form seldom has special
significance.

]There is no particular "currency symbol" in Swedish. We use "kr" or nowadays
]the international abbreviation "SEK". I think the whole idea of a common
]place for any nation's "currency symbol" is a bad one, just as bad as a
]common place for any nation's "accented letter". It just leads to more
]confusion, and prevents me from using the "alternative" signs. If I talk
]about dollars, then I mean dollars and not Pounds Sterling or kronor or
]markka or pesetas or rubel or drakhmas or yen...

No one mentioned what the Japanese do to get a Yen symbol.  I suspect that
they just use a capital Y.

---

mms@utgpu.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <2395@zeus.TEK.COM> dant@tekla (Dan Tilque) writes:
> No one mentioned what the Japanese do to get a Yen symbol.  I suspect that
> they just use a capital Y.

When the Japanese use a 7- or 8-bit ASCII-style character set, they
replace the backslash character with the yen symbol (a capital Y
for Yen, like S for Solidus or L for Libra, with one or more
usually two horizontal strokes through the vertical bar).

This took a lot of getting used to for me (I use Sony and NEC
micros around the house for various things), especially when
(i) programming in C and (ii) looking at all the cute pictures
that appear in people's .signatures made with /-| and \.

In the 16-bit full JIS Japanese character set, I suspect they
do the same and just add a backslash somewhere further on, but
this is just conjecture.
john j. chew (v3.0)                       poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
+1 416 463 5403 (300/1200 bps)            poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet
{cbosgd,decvax,mnetor,utai,utcsri,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utgpu!poslfit
"Script-G for open, sub-delta for durchschnitt"

> Small quibble here - the letter looked like an `f', but was really
> a large `s' like the integral sign, sort of...

Exactly like the integral sign, modulo possible minor mutations since,
since that's where the integral sign came from.  Short for "sum".
--
"There's a lot more to do in space   |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
than sending people to Mars." --Bova | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry