[sci.lang] Langendoen and Postal

berke@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/01/87)

I just read this fabulous book over the weekend, called "The Vastness
of Natural Languages," by D. Terence Langendoen and Paul M. Postal.

If you have read this, I have some questions, and could use some help,
especially on the more Linguistics aspects of the book.

Are Langendoen or Postal on the net somewhere?  They might be in England,
the Publisher is Blackwell 1984.

Their basic proof/conclusion holds that natural languages, as linguistics
construes them (as products of grammars), are what they call mega-collections,
Quine calls proper classes, and some people hold cannot exist.  That is,
they maintain that (1) Sentences cannot be excluded from being of any,
even transfinite size, by the laws of a grammar, and (2) Collections of
these sentences are bigger than even the continuum.  They are the size
of the collection of all sets:  too big to be sets.

It's wonderfully written.  Clear wording, proofs, etc.  Good reading.
Help!

Regards,
Pete

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (11/02/87)

In article <8941@shemp.UCLA.EDU> berke@CS.UCLA.EDU (Peter Berke) writes:
>I just read this fabulous book over the weekend, called "The Vastness
>of Natural Languages," by D. Terence Langendoen and Paul M. Postal.
>
>Are Langendoen or Postal on the net somewhere?

Langendoen used to be on the net as: tergc%cunyvm@wiscvm.wisc.edu

but he's moved to, I think, U of Arizona.  Postal, I think, used to be
at IBM Watson.

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (11/02/87)

In article <8941@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, berke@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
> I just read this fabulous book over the weekend, called "The Vastness
> of Natural Languages," by D. Terence Langendoen and Paul M. Postal.
>
> Their basic proof/conclusion holds that natural languages, as linguistics
> construes them (as products of grammars), are what they call mega-collections,
> Quine calls proper classes, and some people hold cannot exist.  That is,
> they maintain that (1) Sentences cannot be excluded from being of any,
> even transfinite size, by the laws of a grammar, and (2) Collections of
> these sentences are bigger than even the continuum.  They are the size
> of the collection of all sets:  too big to be sets.

Let me switch contexts. I have not read the above-mentioned book,
but it seems to me that this claim is just plain wrong. I would
think a minimum requirement for a sentence in a natural language
is that some person who knows the language can read and
understand the sentence in a finite amount of time. This would
exclude any infinitely long sentences. Perhaps less obviously, it
also excludes infinite languages. The reason is that there will
never be more than a finite number of people (ET's included), and
that each will fail to parse sentences beyond some maximum
length, given a finite life for each. (I am not saying that
natural languages include only those sentences that are in fact
spoken and understood, but that only those sentences that could
be understood are included.)

In this view, infinite languages are solely a mathematical
construct.

Russell

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (11/03/87)

In article <9445@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
>In article <8941@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, berke@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
>> I just read this fabulous book over the weekend, called "The Vastness
>> of Natural Languages," by D. Terence Langendoen and Paul M. Postal.
>
>Let me switch contexts. I have not read the above-mentioned book,
>but it seems to me that this claim is just plain wrong. I would
>also excludes infinite languages. The reason is that there will
>never be more than a finite number of people (ET's included), and
>Russell

Although the number of sentences in a natural language might be
finite, the most appropriate model for human language processing
might reasonably assume the contrary.  Suppose, for instance, that
we wish to compare the complexities of various languages with
regard to how easily they could be used by humans, and that we
take the number of phrase structure rules in a phrase structure
grammar as a measure of such complexity.  A grammar to generate
100,000 sentences of the pattern "Oh boy, oh boy, ...!" would be
much more complex than a grammar to generate an infinite number
of such sentences.  And the pattern seems easy enough to learn ...

Concerning the length of sentences, I think Postal and Langendoen
are not very persuasive.  Most of their arguments are to the
effect that previously given attempted demonstrations that
sentences cannot be of infinite length are incorrect.  I think
they make that point very well.  But obviously this is not
enough To show that one should assume some sentences of infinite
length.
	Greg Lee, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

djh@beach.cis.ufl.edu (David J. Hutches) (11/03/87)

In article <9445@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
>In article <8941@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, berke@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
>> ... That is,
>> they maintain that (1) Sentences cannot be excluded from being of any,
>> even transfinite size, by the laws of a grammar, and (2) Collections of
>> these sentences are bigger than even the continuum.  They are the size
>> of the collection of all sets:  too big to be sets.
>
>... I would
>think a minimum requirement for a sentence in a natural language
>is that some person who knows the language can read and
>understand the sentence in a finite amount of time. This would
>exclude any infinitely long sentences.
>
>Russell

Because of the processing capabilities of human beings (actually, on a
person-by-person basis), sentences of greater and greater length (and
complexity) are more and more difficult to understand.  Past a certain
point, a human being will go into cognitive overload when asked to
process a sentence which his or her capacities (short-term memory, stack
space, whatever you want to call it) are not designed to handle.  What
the human being can, in practice, process and what is *possible* in a
language are two different things.  I think that it is the case that
some theories of language/grammar explain the production of sentences
which are grammatical by use of a generative model.  In such a model, it
is possible to generate sentences of potentially infinite length, even
though it would not be possible for a human being to understand them.

== David J. Hutches                                           CIS Department ==
==                                                     University of Florida ==
== Internet:  djh@beach.cis.ufl.edu                   Gainesville, FL  32611 ==
== UUCP:  ...{ihnp4,rutgers}!codas!ufcsv!ufcsg!djh            (904) 335-8049 ==