[sci.lang] Language Learning

stampe@uhccux.UUCP (David Stampe) (11/13/87)

John Merrill writes:

>Incidentally, language is not the only area in which a crystallization
>effect has been hypothesized.  I've heard of claims for such a
>phenomenon in musical performance (specifically cello,) and other
>motor behavior.

The violin pedagogue Suzuki tells a story about Ben Franklin, who,
during one of his trips to Paris, was congratulated on his violin
playing.  Franklin replied that anyone could play as well, if they
began early and applied themselves diligently.  He was asked when
he began to play.  Why, at fifty-five, he replied.

Jakob Bronowski, in his PBS series "The Ascent of Man", remarked that
he learned English in college in England, and later had forgotten how
to speak his mother tongue, Polish.  However, he noted, echoing the
accepted opinion of this matter, if it had not been for Polish, he
could not now have spoken English.  This opinion seemed to be born
out by the heavy Polish accent with which Bronowski spoke English.

Some linguists are envied for their ability to learn new languages
apparently as fluently as children.  I think of Ken Hale, Paul Garvin,
Alexis Manaster-Ramer, Stan Starosta, and a few others.  They are also
exceptional in that, whereas the fluency of the average adult language
learner fades quickly when he/she is no longer in contact with the
language, their fluency seems not to fade.  Starosta and I as adults
almost twenty years ago both learned a difficult language of India
called Sora.  About four years ago I spent six months speaking the
language exclusively.  Within a year after that, my fluency had mostly
faded.  But Starosta, who hasn't used the language for twenty years,
is fluent as ever.

  I don't think that anyone doubts that they are exceptional, except
maybe the individuals themselves, who often seem surprised that it
isn't so easy for everyone.  Obviously they don't learn exactly as
children do, i.e. no one speaks "mother talk" to them.  Perhaps it
would be worth studying how such virtuosos learn languages, and keep
them alive, or whether their fluency is actually as comparable to that
of native speakers as it seems.

tsmith@gryphon.CTS.COM (Tim Smith) (11/15/87)

In article <1117@uhccux.UUCP> stampe@uhccux.UUCP (David Stampe) writes:
+=====
| Some linguists are envied for their ability to learn new languages
| apparently as fluently as children.  I think of Ken Hale, Paul Garvin,
| Alexis Manaster-Ramer, Stan Starosta, and a few others. ...
+=====
Perhaps these are people who are very childish. Nothing derogatory
intended. I have experienced Ken Hale talk about Navaho, and it was
as evident to me as it was to the native speaker of the language who
was sitting near me that this man was "something different". Kind of
scary, in a way, given the impenetrability of that language.

Most of the good scientists that I have known have a very childish
quality about them. They tend to ask "dumb" questions, often over
and over until they get an answer that satisfies them. Most of us
adults would never be able to behave that way. They tend to wonder
about things that most of us have resolved long time gone, or wouldn't
dare ask about. That's what you need to learn a language as an adult!
--
Tim Smith
INTERNET:     tsmith@gryphon.CTS.COM

Angelique_N_Wahlstedt@cup.portal.com (11/18/87)

[nibble, nibble, burp!]

Hi...all this discussion about language learning has caught my interest,
and I'd like to make a few points.

First, I may be wrong, but many of you out there in the Net-land seems to
have confused pronouncation learning with learning grammar and vocabulary.
They certainly are not the same -- I've managed to learn to "speak" English
quite fluently without ever speaking it at all. How is that, you ask? The
answer is simple: I'm deaf, and have been that way since birth. (In case
anyone is wondering, I learned English mostly from a LOT of reading and
writing, plus some tutoring.)

Second, some of you've been arguing about the crystalization effect and
why adults have trouble learning new languages, as opposed to kids. I'm
no linguist, but I'd like to propose one new possibility -- can it because
many adults weren't exposed heavily enough to a new language in order to
learn it? Many adults (and teenagers) usually learn a new language in
classrooms, but very rarely, they get to use it outside the classroom
(unless they, of course, are living in a foreign country).

But then again, that certainly doesn't explain why some immigrants in this
country never learn to speak English fluenty. But then again, that could
be a matter of motivation and other factors (for one thing, Asians can't
distinguish between the "l" and "r" sounds, as someone in this newsgroup
mentioned.)

I have some evidence to support the suggestion above: people deaf since
birth. Many deaf people (this doesn't count hard-of-hearing people or
people who became deaf later in their lives) have never learned to use
English quite fluently, despite all the efforts of teaching (or lack
thereof, as in some cases). Why, you ask? Because they weren't exposed
heavily enough to English. All hearing kids learn languages mainly
by OVERHEARING in addition to people talking to them. Because deaf kids
can only learn a language through their eyes (via reading or signs),
they miss out a LOT. (You can forget abut hearing aids -- they may be
great for detecting sounds but not very effective for discriminating
human speech.) However, it is true that a few deaf people, such as myself,
have managed to achieve fluent English. But I have noticed that's usually
because we read a LOT when we were kids. (Teaching also helped -- unlike
many hearing kids, we had to be fed grammar, vocabulary, and such.)

-- Angelique Wahlstedt

Internet: wahlsted@handel.colostate.edu
UUCP    : {ihnp4, ??? }!hpfcla!handel!wahlsted
BITNET  : PEPPER@CSUGREEN

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (11/19/87)

In article <1413@houdi.UUCP> marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:

>Do we recall why I mentioned identity crisis, and why another
>contributor mentioned having less time as you grow older?  Because
>somebody suggested that if language learning becomes harder at puberty,
>it must be because of a crystallization process.  If other plausible
>reasons exist, we can't immediately conclude that there is a
>crystallization.

Sorry to have misunderstood your wording on the difference between
phonological acquisition and "language acquisition".  Perhaps I should
clarify my meaning as well.  Both adults and children can "acquire" a
target language.  The problem is that adults can't "master" foreign
languages (i.e. learn to speak with undetectable accents).  The
threshold for phonology is puberty, and the threshold for syntax is
(less clearly) post-adolescence.  The issue, as you put it, is
plausibility.

ADULTS-ARE-TOO-BUSY argument.  Most children don't hold down full-time
jobs, but those who do still acquire language effortlessly.  We are not
talking about rote-learning here.  Children acquire language by virtue
of being exposed to it.  No amount of free time or exposure seems to
give adults mastery over a foreign language.

IDENTITY CRISIS argument.  I am not sure how you intend this to work.
All stressful situations affect learning.  The one that we have loosely
termed "identity crisis" strikes different individuals with differing
intensity.  Do foreign accents vary with the severity of one's "identity
crisis"?  No such correlation has ever been found, although we do know
that foreign accents correlate to biological maturation.

>If you want to prove crystallization, either you need positive evidence
>of crystallization, or you have to disprove all possible alternatives.

I am not sure what you regard as "positive evidence", but it certainly
doesn't make any of the "alternatives" look better.  I pour goose-gander
sauce all over your identity crisis argument.  As for "disproving all
possible alternatives", I am less demanding.  I would only require that
you disprove all "plausible alternatives".  So far, there aren't any.

yg@culdev1.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <1498@cup.portal.com>, Angelique_N_Wahlstedt@cup.portal.com writes:

> [nibble, nibble, burp!]
>
> be a matter of motivation and other factors (for one thing, Asians can't
> distinguish between the "l" and "r" sounds, as someone in this newsgroup
> mentioned.)

I am surprised by the above statement.  I did not see the original (ol
shourd I be saying oliginar?!).  I know that some Asians have trouble
distinguishing between the "l" and the "r" sounds but I am certain that
it is not true for all Asians.

Cheers.

paul@tut.UUCP (11/22/87)

<
< I am surprised by the above statement.  I did not see the original (ol
< shourd I be saying oliginar?!).  I know that some Asians have trouble
< distinguishing between the "l" and the "r" sounds but I am certain that
< it is not true for all Asians.

Actually, the 'L'/'R' statement isn't entirely true.  Most speakers
who have not been exposed to a language that distinguishes between L
and R (ie. Asian) don't distinguish them.  I recall, however, a
catagorical perception study in which a group of adult native American
English speakers were tested on a L-R continuum.  They gave (not
supprisingly) a nice CP curve.  A group of adult native Japaneese
speakers, who had very little experiance with English were then
tested, and they got a quite poor CP curve (almost flat
discrimination, poor identification).  The Japaneese speakers were
then given ~3 weeks of intense training at L vs. R distinction.  At
the end of this, they were tested again, and did allmost as well (90
to 95% as effective) as the American speakers: a nice peeked
discrimination curve, and a nice, almost square-wave identification).
I don't, unfortunately, have a pointer to said study.  I'll see if I
can find it...

The main point is that (1) 'L'/'R' is a learned CP skill, and (2) many
CP skills do _not_ crystalize: adults can learn them.  Some people, of
course, do learn better than others, however.

		 -- Paul Placeway
		    ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!paul
		    paul@ohio-state.arpa, paul@cis.ohio-state.edu

paul@tut.UUCP (11/22/87)

In article <2819@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
< ....  The problem is that adults can't "master" foreign
< languages (i.e. learn to speak with undetectable accents).  The
< threshold for phonology is puberty, and the threshold for syntax is
< (less clearly) post-adolescence.

I'm not sure that I agree with this.  I now some people who do seem to
have "crystalized", and can't learn new languages very well at all.
On the other hand, I also know many adults who can learn language
after language, after... to a point of _fluency_ (inc. robust
phonetic, phonological, syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic
understanding).  Could you give a citation or two?

		-- Paul

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <1767@culdev1.UUCP> yg@culdev1.UUCP (Yogesh Gupta) writes:
>> be a matter of motivation and other factors (for one thing, Asians can't
>> distinguish between the "l" and "r" sounds, as someone in this newsgroup
>> mentioned.)
>
>I am surprised by the above statement.  I did not see the original (ol
>shourd I be saying oliginar?!).  I know that some Asians have trouble
>distinguishing between the "l" and the "r" sounds but I am certain that
>it is not true for all Asians.

I think that the discussion on r/l has been slightly misleading.
It has been said that adult speakers of Japanese cannot learn to
discriminate r/l.  The fact is that many adults learn to discriminate
these sounds with time.  It also seems to be the case that
discrimination in some phonetic environments is learned earlier than in
others.  One easy way to test this is to recite minimal pairs to
language learners and have them mark spelled words.  With a
sufficiently large number of subjects, you get interesting patterns of
r/l discrimination.

The r/l distinction is difficult for speakers of many languages,
since it is a relatively rare phonemic opposition to have.  Hindi, and
many other (most?) languages on the Indian subcontinent do have the
opposition.

--

===========
Rick Wojcik   rwojcik@boeing.com

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (11/25/87)

In article <2059@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Paul W. Placeway) writes:
>The main point is that (1) 'L'/'R' is a learned CP skill, and (2) many
>CP skills do _not_ crystalize: adults can learn them.  Some people, of
>course, do learn better than others, however.
>
>		 -- Paul Placeway

Excellent points.  Linguistic theory traditionally makes no distinction
between comprehension and production.  Note that problems in phoneme
discrimination parallel problems in pronunciation.  The Russian linguist
Shvachkin (see Ferguson/Slobin, eds. Studies of Child Language
Development, 1973) did the original study on phoneme discrimination in
children.  Jakobson's Child Language, Aphasia... is based on studies of
production.

	Phoneme discrimination can be learned by adults, but it is
far from clear that it ever achieves the state of perfection we find in
children.  The fact that adults can acquire language skills is
irrelevant to the issue of crystallization.  The question is over how
well they can acquire them.  *All* healthy children are language virtuosos.
Some adults are pretty good at learning new languages, but it has yet to
be established that *any* adult can acquire a new language without
accent.  Your implication is that adults can acquire perfect phonemic
discrimination, but the study you cite falls short of showing this.

--

===========

In article <2060@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Paul W. Placeway writes:
>On the other hand, I also know many adults who can learn language
>after language, after... to a point of _fluency_ (inc. robust
>phonetic, phonological, syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic
>understanding).  Could you give a citation or two?
>
>		-- Paul
There is a standing challenge in the L2 community to find a single
person who has acquired native fluency in a foreign language in
adulthood.  The judge of this can only be native speakers of the
language in question.  Stories about people who learn "language after
language...to a point of fluency" are not sufficient.  What you consider
fluent for another language is not the point.  (What I propose is a
variation of Turing's test for artificial intelligence.)

Here is a case in point.  My wife learned French by study+immersion in
young adulthood.  She has achieved fluency to the point where she can
fool other French speakers into thinking she is French--but not a
speaker of the listener's dialect.  This deception is almost never
maintained in extended conversations.  An accent is always detected.
She learned Spanish in her early 30's and is quite impressive at it.
Native Spanish speakers always hear an accent, but English learners of
Spanish seldom do.  They think she has achieved native fluency.
--

===========
Rick Wojcik   rwojcik@boeing.com

yg@culdev1.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <2059@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Paul W. Placeway) writes:

> Actually, the 'L'/'R' statement isn't entirely true.  Most speakers
> who have not been exposed to a language that distinguishes between L
> and R (ie. Asian) don't distinguish them.
             ^^^^^
I guess THIS was the reason for my previous objection - why is it that
it is assumed that languages in Asia do not differentiate between an L
and an R?

> The main point is that (1) 'L'/'R' is a learned CP skill, and (2) many
> CP skills do _not_ crystalize: adults can learn them.  Some people, of
> course, do learn better than others, however.
>
> 		 -- Paul Placeway
Agreed.
	- Yogesh Gupta.

Ti
sh
is
ma
ke
in
ew
sh
ap
py

paul@tut.UUCP (11/28/87)

In article <1786@culdev1.UUCP> yg@culdev1.UUCP (Yogesh Gupta) writes:
< In article <2059@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Paul W. Placeway) writes:
< > and R (ie. Asian) don't distinguish them.
<              ^^^^^
< I guess THIS was the reason for my previous objection - why is it that
< it is assumed that languages in Asia do not differentiate between an L
< and an R?

Ah.  I seem to have been caught with dangling assumptions.  Actually,
the only far eastern (near western?) language that I know doesn't
distinguish L & R is Japaneese.  Sorry about that...

		-- Paul

paul@tut.UUCP (11/28/87)

In article <2911@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
< 	Phoneme discrimination can be learned by adults, but it is
< far from clear that it ever achieves the state of perfection we find in
< children.  The fact that adults can acquire language skills is
< irrelevant to the issue of crystallization.  The question is over how
< well they can acquire them.  *All* healthy children are language virtuosos.
< Some adults are pretty good at learning new languages, but it has yet to
< be established that *any* adult can acquire a new language without
< accent.  Your implication is that adults can acquire perfect phonemic
< discrimination, but the study you cite falls short of showing this.

The main point I wanted to make is that crystallization is far from as
hard and absolute an effect as some people would believe.

While it is true that the majority of adults do not learn to speak a
new language without accent (that is, coloration from their native
language(s)), The statement that _no_ adult can learn to speak without
accent bothers me: I am not convinced that this is the case for _all_
adults; most, probably, but not all.

A seven year old child has just spent 7 years, of 365 days/year, 12-18
hours/day of language practice; most adults do not spend anywhere near
this amount of effort learning a new language unless they have spent
years of time in the new culture.  Thus most adult language learners
do not 'count' in such a comparison.  Of those adults who have been
in the new culture, certainly some do not ever learn all of the
subtleties that comprise the local accent, and some do learn to
perceive the differences, but do not learn how to produce them well.
I suspect, however, that there are as many who do learn to produce as
who do not.  In other words, I suspect that if measured, this effect
should so a bell curve, with the high end well into the native fluency
bell curve range.

If seen as a motor skill, speech is very complex.  There are well
attested cases of _some_ adults learning motor skills of similar
complexity just as well as children.  Most pianists, for example,
start as kids, but there are a few who didn't start until they were
adults.  Such cases are rare, but _not_ nonexistant.

As far as phonemic discrimination, the study I cited does not show
perfect results, but then again, 95% as good as natives in 3-4 weeks
of training isn't all that bad, either.  I do not know if a similar
study has been done for people who have had years of experience.
Years of practice probably cover the remaining 5%, however...

		-- Paul

wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (12/02/87)

In article <2360@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Paul W. Placeway) writes:

> Of those adults who have been in the new culture, certainly some do
> not ever learn all of the subtleties that comprise the local accent,
> and some do learn to perceive the differences, but do not learn how
> to produce them well.

> As far as phonemic discrimination, the study I cited does not show
> perfect results, but then again, 95% as good as natives in 3-4 weeks
> of training isn't all that bad, either.  I do not know if a similar
> study has been done for people who have had years of experience.
> Years of practice probably cover the remaining 5%, however...

Keep in mind that the standard of perfection is quite high.  An adult
trying to acquire a local accent well enough to "pass for a native"
needs to do a virtually flawless job, or else he will be found out.  No
matter how "good as native" that 95% of someone's speech may be, the 5%
that deviates from the local norm will stick out like a sore thumb in
the listener's ears.

A friend of mine -- a young man from Manchester, England -- recently
spent a couple of years in Kentucky and southern Ohio.  Upon his return,
he still spoke with the same Manchester dialect as he did before he left
-- but now with occasional slight traces of a Midwestern US accent.  Yet
he told me that, when he went home to England for a brief visit, every-
one back in Manchester claimed he sounded like an American!  (I assured
him, by the way, that he most definitely did not sound at all like an
American, and he was much relieved. :-})

What presumably happened was that his friends back home simply didn't
notice the "Manchester" components of his speech (since these were no
different from the norm as far as they were concerned), but the occa-
sional features from the American Midwest stood out very clearly.  If
my friend had visited another part of England, I suspect they would have
had no trouble identifying him as being from Manchester.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
	wales@CS.UCLA.EDU           ...!(ucbvax,rutgers)!ucla-cs!wales
"Sir, there is a multilegged creature crawling on your shoulder."

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (12/02/87)

In article <2360@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Paul W. Placeway) writes:

>A seven year old child has just spent 7 years, of 365 days/year, 12-18
>hours/day of language practice; most adults do not spend anywhere near
>this amount of effort learning a new language unless they have spent
>years of time in the new culture.  Thus most adult language learners
>do not 'count' in such a comparison.  Of those adults who have been

Let us limit ourselves to cases of adult immersion in a foreign
language.  Even trained phoneticians can't seem to rid themselves of an
accent.  A case in point is Dr. Lehiste, whom you mentioned in a
previous note.  She has an extremely sharp mind, a good memory, and more
knoweldge of phonetic detail than 99.999(etc.)% of the human population.
She has lived in the US for several decades.  She may be a busy woman,
but her business is language.  Why does she still speak with an accent?
Another case in point is the late Roman Jakobson, one of this century's
finest linguists.  The standard joke in the linguistic community is that
he spoke five languages in fluent Russian.  The fact remains that no
amount of practice or immersian can make an adult the equal of a child.
--

===========
Rick Wojcik   rwojcik@boeing.com

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (12/04/87)

:>
:
:Let us limit ourselves to cases of adult immersion in a foreign
:language.  Even trained phoneticians can't seem to rid themselves of an
:accent.  A case in point is Dr. Lehiste, whom you mentioned in a
:previous note.  She has an extremely sharp mind, a good memory, and more
:knoweldge of phonetic detail than 99.999(etc.)% of the human population.
:She has lived in the US for several decades.  She may be a busy woman,
:but her business is language.  Why does she still speak with an accent?

   So.  Her main point of study was the phonetic detail (according to
   you), not how to speak english without an accent, or not even to
   learn english.

: The fact remains that no
:amount of practice or immersian can make an adult the equal of a child.

 What fact? It seems to me what you are saying is that the observed
 evidence shows that no adult can lose their native accent. Which is
 like saying "That man listens only to jazz because that is all I hear
 him listening to".

 Just because there is no observed evidence does not prove your theory.
 I say because any child can learn his native language any adult can
 learn the childs native language also. My proof is that any adult can
 do what ever any child can do.

 On the serious side, what if we taught the adult to use the phonetic
 system of the language (perhaps by using nonsense syllables in that
 language) before letting him see, hear real words. And then insure
 that he picks up the correct accent also. You would also have to
 teach only in the target language, you don't want him to used his
 native language on anything. Saying anything in his native language
 would result in forty whips with a wet noddle. This would take
 considerably longer then the present methods, but the results, I
 predict, will raise some doubt whether or not an adult can learn the
 language as a child does.

 A big problem with this is proverbs or metaphors. When I am speaking
 japanese, english grammar and semantics kind of creep in and take
 over when my japanese is not adequate. Often this brings laughter
 or consternation. How do you prevent this interference between the
 two languages? I wonder how a child does it? If he does he must have
 some kind of marker marking the grammar and semantics, japanese or english.

 I'm tired of the arguments, it can't be done because it hasn't been
 done in the past. If that were true than there would be a lot less
 Steven Jobs and Bill Gates in the world.

 mark
--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (12/05/87)

In article <8300015@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>...[after long article discussing some issues]
>In other words, I think the moral of this issue  is that you cannot  expect to
>settle an issue that is several layers of abstraction below the level  of your
>observational apparatus.  (In this case it might be more  than "several".)  In
>a sense I'm saying: "Go back to the lab and let's look for other things we can
>get a better grip on - this issue will have to wait until another day."

I don't think that this would be a very interesting newsgroup if there
were no debates.  The crystallization issue is interesting, and it
merits intelligent discussion.  The point is not to "solve" the issue,
but to increase our understanding of it.  You have a lot to say on a
subject that you seem to feel ought not to be discussed :-].  I, myself,
feel that we ought to know something about what we are testing before we
rush into the laboratory to test it.

I can't resist ending with one of Mark Twain's observations about adults
in foreign language contexts:
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did
succeed in making those idiots understand their own language."
--

===========
Rick Wojcik   rwojcik@boeing.com

ok@quintus.UUCP (12/05/87)

Maybe it's my ignorance showing, but everyone seems to be asking the
question "children can learn their native language perfectly (as in:
without an accent), can adults learn languages perfectly too, and if
not why not?".  It seems to me that the first part of this question
is false:  children do NOT learn to speak the same language as their
parents.  This is particularly clear in the case of slang and metaphor
(I *still* don't know what "twenty-three skidoo" meant), but I quite
certainly haven't got the same accent as my parents, and in my own
country "age dialects" seemed more obvious to me than "regional" dialects.
Speakers of a language where "silly" once meant "happy" shouldn't rush
to assume that children have some magical skill lost to adults.

das@CS.UCLA.EDU (12/06/87)

In article <2048@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) writes:
> I say because any child can learn his native language any adult can
> learn the childs native language also. My proof is that any adult can
> do what ever any child can do.

I wouldn't be so sure about that last sentence.  Look at "hemis" (people who
have had one hemisphere of their brain removed).  If this removal occurs before
a certain age (around 3 to 5, I think), it appears that the person seems to be
more "normal" than someone who's lost a hemisphere at a later age -- that is,
those brain functions that are normally performed predominantly by one
hemisphere can be done almost as well by the other, if the need arises before a
certain age, and not as well if it arises after that age.  This isn't precise,
but it does illustrate that what the brain can do changes with age, and not
always in the direction of increased power.

This says nothing about your contention -- just your proof.

-- David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, {sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

murrayw@utai.UUCP (12/06/87)

In article <435@cresswell.quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>Maybe it's my ignorance showing, but everyone seems to be asking the
               ^^^^^^^^^ Possibly, your correct.
>is false:  children do NOT learn to speak the same language as their
                                               ^^^^ Not 100% the same
>(I *still* don't know what "twenty-three skidoo" meant), but I quite
>certainly haven't got the same accent as my parents, and in my own
  Why then can different regional accents in North America be traced to
  different groups of immigrants??? If your parents are new immigrants
  then you might not have thier accent. Instead you have the accent of
  your teachers, your freinds' parents, and your favorite television
  character.
>rush to assume that children have some magical skill lost to adults.
 This was not a "rushed" conclusion and no one thinks it is a "magical"
 skill.

                                          Murray

   I wouldn't believe in magical skills either.

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (12/08/87)

In article <2048@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards)
writes, in response to article <2999@bcsaic.UUCP> by
rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik):

>  ... It seems to me what you are saying is that the observed
>  evidence shows that no adult can lose their native accent. Which is
>  like saying "That man listens only to jazz because that is all I hear
>  him listening to".
>
>  Just because there is no observed evidence does not prove your theory.
>  I say because any child can learn his native language any adult can
>  learn the childs native language also. My proof is that any adult can
>  do what ever any child can do.

I don't think you can learn much about natural processes by restricting
the argument to terms of "can do" vs. "can't do."  All good studies of
natural systems are done statistically, with large subject pools and
systematic controls, because all individuals are different.

When you study the capabilities of psychological systems, important
clues can come from subtle differences in learning time or response
time.  Since differences may be reversed in some individuals, because
of their particular capabilities, large subject groups must be used.

It is probably true that anything most children do easily, some adult
can do with effort.  But if you want to know how natural learning
works, to figure out how to make artificial systems learn, that doesn't
tell you much.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

murrayw@utai.UUCP (Murray Watt) (12/09/87)

In article <2048@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) writes:
>In article <2999@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
>:In article <2360@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Paul W. Placeway) writes:
>
>: The fact remains that no
>:amount of practice or immersian can make an adult the equal of a child.
>
> What fact? It seems to me what you are saying is that the observed
> evidence shows that no adult can lose their native accent. Which is
> like saying "That man listens only to jazz because that is all I hear
> him listening to".

  My father has taken many French courses and has taken three four
  month complete emersion courses in my native provice of Quebec.
  He has worked hard and knows more French than I, but he still sounds
  more like an Anglo than I. I am not that he cannot lose his accent,
  just that it is difficult.

> Just because there is no observed evidence does not prove your theory.

  Theories that predict the observed evidence are better than those that
  are inconsistent with the evidence!

> I say because any child can learn his native language any adult can
> learn the childs native language also. My proof is that any adult can
                                            ^^^^^
  Is this a tableau proof or modus ponens?

> do what ever any child can do.
     ^^^^^^^^^
  How about climbing through small holes in fences?

  Murray Watt

  Are we getting emotional statements on the net from people
  who cannot come to terms with their loss of youth?

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (12/10/87)

In article <4181@utai.UUCP> murrayw@ai.UUCP (Murray Watt) writes:
:> Just because there is no observed evidence does not prove your theory.
:
:  Theories that predict the observed evidence are better than those that
:  are inconsistent with the evidence!
:
:> I say because any child can learn his native language any adult can
:> learn the childs native language also. My proof is that any adult can
:                                            ^^^^^
:  Is this a tableau proof or modus ponens?

   No. It was making a similar kind of statement to those who say
   it can't be done. Their proof is as shallow as my stated proof is.

:
:> do what ever any child can do.
:     ^^^^^^^^^
:  How about climbing through small holes in fences?
:
:  Murray Watt
:
:  Are we getting emotional statements on the net from people
:  who cannot come to terms with their loss of youth?

   Maybe it is emotional. However I think a lot of the facts are
   being glossed over, ignored or simply not explored. You don't
   find answers by saying the observed evidence supports the "C
   period", or that an adult can not become fluent.

   Two hundred years ago the observed evidence would support the
   conclusion that "man cannot fly", or "the moon is made out of
   cheese". Things like radio, television, would never have been
   invented. Only 40 years ago, dreams about having a workstation
   on every desk would have seem to be only that. Now we know that
   someday we will probably have computers in our watches that are
   just has powerful as the workstations today.

   I guess I should move into the Cognitive Science discipline because
   the other disciplines dealing with natural language are much too
   rigid. It looks like it takes a new science to find answers that
   the other sciences refuse to consider.

   mark
--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

ddm@cblpe.ATT.COM (Douglas Moreland) (12/11/87)

Though news announcers are subject to the firing and hiring whims of their
bosses, their bosses are trying to capture an audience by hiring news
announcers that are friendly-acting, familiar, and comfortable to the people
who watch. You don't do that by hiring people who speak regional dialects
(unless it's a regional tv show). The language of news announcers thus becomes
a standard dialect, understandable to listeners across the country as
"their language."  So, this "hiring and firing at the whim of the bosses"  will serve to accurately mirror the speech of the people who listen.
The announcers who don't get enough viewers (for whatever reasons, among them
non-standard dialect) get canned.

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (12/14/87)

In article <2053@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) writes:
>In article <4181@utai.UUCP> murrayw@ai.UUCP (Murray Watt) writes:
>:> My proof is that any adult can [ do whatever any child can do. ]
>:     ^^^^^
>:  Is this a tableau proof or modus ponens?
>
>   No. It was making a similar kind of statement to those who say
>   it can't be done. Their proof is as shallow as my stated proof is.

Keep in mind that there are biological differences (eg puberty) so the
molecules boinging around the brain-stem of a child aren't the same as
for you and me. Babies can regrow part of a digit that's cut off (not sure
up to what age) -- I'll let someone else volunteer to test that one out.

John
--
"Listen fathead, the ONE thing we DON'T need is some trigger-happy lunatic
 in charge... No I didn't mean you Mr. President... Yes sir, I'm sure you

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (12/19/87)

(Douglas Moreland) writes:
>Though news announcers are subject to the firing and hiring whims of their
>bosses, ...  The language of news announcers thus becomes a standard dialect

I agree, in general Doug, but there are some notable exceptions: Bill Moyers
has a very distinct(ive) southern accent (sorry - can't place it better than
that - I am not familiar with the various southern accents) and in addition
uses phrases which are, at least to me, characteristic of southern speakers.
I wonder if he writes/wrote most of his own editorials?

My guess is that the copywriters on major news programs assiduously avoid
regional dialect, and opt for a "bland" non-colloquial form of speach.
There is, to my ear, a "typical" news-show dialect, somewhat different than
that I've ever heard anyone speak on the street - but very understandable
and un-ambiguous.

Example?

"The President announced, today, that there will be ..."

"<reporter>, our reporter on the scene, reports..." (not has reported, or
will report)

etc.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121