[sci.lang] Arabic Wordprocessing / Publishing Software wanted

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (12/01/87)

A friend of mine is looking for a computer system that will let him do
word-processing in Arabic and English, as well as miscellaneous
accounting and such.  He doesn't currently have any
hardware, so he can be pretty flexible; I'm guessing that a
Macintosh+Laserwriter or PC/AT+LaserJet will probably be used.
(He's not a computer person, so the Mac will probably be easier to use.)

What software packages are available?  How is printer-driver support?
How well does it integrate with other software?
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (12/02/87)

A followup on Arabic Wordprocessing:

	Ready, Set, Go as distributed in Europe when combined with the Arabic
Interface System for the Apple Macintosh will allow you to use Arabic in
word processing and desk top publishing.  Do not buy the version of Ready, Set
Go distributed in the United States:  it does not work with the Arabic Interface
System.
	Ready, Set, Go is publised by Letraset.  Contact their international
division for more information.
	The Arabic Interface System is distrubited by Apple through APDA - the
Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association.

--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

lee@rocksanne.UUCP (Lee Moore) (12/08/87)

In article <1908@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
> A friend of mine is looking for a computer system that will let him do
> word-processing in Arabic and English, as well as miscellaneous
> accounting and such.  He doesn't currently have any
> hardware, so he can be pretty flexible...

If price is no object, suggest that your friend look at a Xerox Viewpoint
system.  Some of the problems with combining English and Arabic were
described in a recent issue of the CACM.

As an aside, Viewpoint also does Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew and a host
of other languages.

Lee

--
Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center, birthplace of the XGP
UUCP:		{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz}!rochester!rocksanne!lee

dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk) (12/16/87)

In article <465@rocksanne.UUCP> lee@rocksanne.UUCP (Lee Moore) writes:
>In article <1908@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
>> A friend of mine is looking for a computer system that will let him do
>> word-processing in Arabic and English, as well as miscellaneous ...

IBM do an Arabic version of their main word processor DisplayWrite.  I am
not a great fan of DW, and the only version I have seen in Arabic is
version 2 of DisplayWrite, which is only just good enough to use.  But the
Arabic implementation is excellent.  Printout is on a QuietWriter with a
plug-in Arabic font cartridge.  You can mix Arabic and English any way you
like, and text entry is bi-directional, with several neat options.  You can
select to have all system menus etc. in Arabic or English too.  I have
mentioned this to some colleagues in Germany, and their branch of IBM
didn't even know about this product.  I HAVE USED IT: IT EXISTS.  If IBM
denies it, press them.  (Good luck!)
Dominik Wujastyk

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (12/20/87)

in article <120@wjh12.harvard.edu>,
  dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk) says:
> In article <465@rocksanne.UUCP> lee@rocksanne.UUCP (Lee Moore) writes:
>>In article <1908@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) writes:
>>> A friend of mine is looking for a computer system that will let him do
>>> word-processing in Arabic and English, as well as miscellaneous ...
>
> IBM do an Arabic version of their main word processor DisplayWrite.  I am

Alternate solution is the Apple Macintosh (YES, I know that this is
 comp.sys.ibm.pc, but it is still a solution).

I have seen an Arabic language word-processing program for the Mac.  Unfortu-
nately, I cannot remmember the name of it.  I shall ask a friend of mine
what it was, if I remember.

BTW, it also handles English and Farsi.

						-- Pat Hirayama
						-- Seattle University

pierre@imag.UUCP (Pierre LAFORGUE) (12/23/87)

In article <835@suvax1.UUCP> hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) writes:
>I have seen an Arabic language word-processing program for the Mac.  Unfortu-
>nately, I cannot remmember the name of it.  I shall ask a friend of mine
>what it was, if I remember.
>
>BTW, it also handles English and Farsi.

A french company built an Arabic language word-processing program for Apple
International. The software is called WINTEXT (and the company WINSOFT,
located in Grenoble). If you cannot buy it in your local Apple bookshop,
I will give you the address of a french address able to export the floppy
(ALMA).
--
Pierre Laforgue       pierre@imag.imag.fr      {uunet.uu.net|mcvax}!imag!pierre