[sci.lang] time for sci.psych???

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (01/08/88)

It's been at least three or four years since I last saw an attempt to
create a newsgroup devoted to psychology.  So, I thought I'd test the
waters once more.  A few weeks ago, I tested the waters by asking the
readers of sci.med if they would be interested in a new group called
'sci.psych'.  I received about a dozen 'yeas' and no 'nays' in
response to that water testing query.

If created, I see 'sci.psych' as a group for discussions that are in
the cracks between: comp.ai, comp.cog-eng, misc.kids, misc.legal,
news.groups, sci.bio, sci.lang, sci.math.stat, sci.med, sci.misc,
sci.philosophy.tech, sci.research, soc.college, soc.culture.misc,
soc.misc, talk.philosophy.misc.

'sci.psych' would be a forum for discussions on topics such as visual
illusions and their explanations; psychopathology [etiology,
diagnosis, treatment, etc.]; cognitive development theories and their
implications for child rearing, education, and artificial
intelligence; the difference between the legal definition of insanity
and the psychological "definitions" of mental disorder; animal
communication; the problems in selecting appropriate statistical tests
in social-behavioral studies and experiments; intelligence testing;
cross-cultural differences...etc.

If you are interested in seeing a newsgroup where discussions such as
these can take place, please MAIL ME YOUR VOTES (please, do not post
your votes to any of the newsgroups!) before February 8.  The USENET
voting convention requires that there be at least 100 more 'yea' votes
than 'nay' votes, so please vote if you would like to see 'sci.psych'
created.

[BTW: I was told that there is an INET group called 'sci.psychology'
which some USENET sites already receive.  If 'sci.psych' is created, I
would be interested in seeing an INET feed from 'sci.psychology' into
'sci.psych'.]

Please mail your votes to one of the addresses given below.
Thank you...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

subraman@udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (01/09/88)

In article <1416@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:

>It's been at least three or four years since I last saw an attempt to
>create a newsgroup devoted to psychology.  So, I thought I'd test the
>waters once more.  A few weeks ago, I tested the waters by asking the
>readers of sci.med if they would be interested in a new group called
>'sci.psych'.  I received about a dozen 'yeas' and no 'nays' in
 ^^^^^^^^^^^

For your information, a news group called sci.psychology already exists,
though not very active.  So, any effort on your part to make it more active
would be appreciated very much.

Baskaran.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (01/10/88)

In article <1416@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
[ requests a new group called sci.psych ]

>[BTW: I was told that there is an INET group called 'sci.psychology'
>which some USENET sites already receive.  If 'sci.psych' is created, I
>would be interested in seeing an INET feed from 'sci.psychology' into
>'sci.psych'.]

Before you start collecting votes, wouldn't it make more sense and
acheive your purposes if the existing sci.psychology were changed
from an inet group to a "world" group?  Seems pointly to contruct
some kind of a gateway between two groups with similar names.

This change has been made in the past (for example, for comp.software-eng
and quite a few others).  Why don't you solicit votes for making
sci.psychology a regular group instead?

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them.   -- Richard Bach

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (01/11/88)

In article <1820@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <1416@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>Before you start collecting votes, wouldn't it make more sense and
>acheive your purposes if the existing sci.psychology were changed
>from an inet group to a "world" group?  Seems pointly to contruct
>some kind of a gateway between two groups with similar names.
>
>- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
>	    Old internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

What you suggest is a good idea.  However, I think the same result will be
achieved no matter which path I take.  If sci.psych does not get enough
votes for creation, there is not much of an argument to ask for the INET
sci.psychology articles to be gatewayed to USENET.  On the other hand, if
there are enough votes to justify the creation of a USENET sci.psych group,
there there is also enough justification to ask for sci.psychology to be
gatewayed in....todd