[sci.lang] NLP bibliography: Book and EMail Service announcement

goldberg@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Jeffrey Goldberg) (01/08/88)

Book Announcement:

The following is now available:

%A  Gerald Gazdar
%A  Alex Franz
%A  Karen Osborne
%A  Roger Evans
%D  1987
%T  Natural Language Processing in the 1980's - A Bibliography
%C  Stanford
%S  CSLI Lecture Notes
%N  12
%I  Chicago University Press

This may be ordered from the University of Chicago Press and may
be ordered directly (5801 Ellis Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637)
or from your local bookstore.

Publication date: Dec 1987
ISBN 0--937073--28--8 (Paper)
ISBN 0--937073--26--1 (Cloth)
Price: $(US) 11.95 (Paper)
       $(US) 29.95 (Cloth)

The bibliography contains 1764 entries, an introduction, and KWIC
index of titles, and an index on non-first authors.  244 pages.

EMail Service Announcement:

It is possible to search this bibliography automatically by
computer mail.  Mail to clbib@russell.stanford.edu with the word
"help" as the Subject line of your message for details.  Mail to
clbib-request@russell.stanford.edu to report bugs in the program
that handles the automatic searching.  Most questions you may have
are likely to be answered in the documentation supplied by sending
for help.
--
Jeff Goldberg         Internet: goldberg@russell.stanford.edu

dwt@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (David West) (01/09/88)

Distribution:world

In article <1499@russell.STANFORD.EDU> goldberg@russell.UUCP (Jeffrey Goldberg) writes:
>Book Announcement:   [...]
>%T  Natural Language Processing in the 1980's - A Bibliography   [...]
>%S  CSLI Lecture Notes   [...]
>Publication date: Dec 1987

Am I the only person of the opinion that, while a title like this is clearly
ok in a relatively ephemeral context, such as an actual lecture handout, it is
potentially seriously misleading in a more permanent context, e.g. as the
title of a *book* which will presumably be consulted after the 1980s are over?
One hopes that work of significance in NLP will occur in 1988 and 1989.

goldberg@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Jeffrey Goldberg) (01/10/88)

In article <710@zippy.eecs.umich.edu> dwt@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (David West) writes:
>In article <1499@russell.STANFORD.EDU> goldberg@russell.UUCP (Jeffrey Goldberg) writes:
>>Book Announcement:   [...]
>>%T  Natural Language Processing in the 1980's - A Bibliography   [...]
>>%S  CSLI Lecture Notes   [...]
>>Publication date: Dec 1987

>Am I the only person of the opinion that, while a title like this is clearly
>ok in a relatively ephemeral context, such as an actual lecture handout, it is
>potentially seriously misleading in a more permanent context, e.g. as the
>title of a *book* which will presumably be consulted after the 1980s are over?
>One hopes that work of significance in NLP will occur in 1988 and 1989.

The title is unfortunate, but let me add that future editions may
be produced depending on how well this one does.  (The authors and
I would like to see more editions, but the publisher and
distributors need to see these move.)  The online bibliography,
accessible by EMail, will be updated (although the current one is
still the one that is in the book).

The original plan was to produce these annually and more cheaply
than we have managed.

The reason that this appears in a series called "lecture notes" is
historical and too dull to go into.  It was originally intended as
a tech report, I believe.

Anyway, I will pass your note on to the authors.  And maybe future
editions will bear a more accurate title.
--
Jeff Goldberg         Internet: goldberg@russell.stanford.edu

credmond@orchid.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (01/12/88)

In article <710@zippy.eecs.umich.edu> dwt@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (David West) writes:
>>%T  Natural Language Processing in the 1980's - A Bibliography   [...]
>>Publication date: Dec 1987
>
>Am I the only person of the opinion that, while a title like this is clearly
>ok in a relatively ephemeral context, such as an actual lecture handout, it is
>potentially seriously misleading in a more permanent context, e.g. as the
>title of a *book* which will presumably be consulted after the 1980s are over?
>One hopes that work of significance in NLP will occur in 1988 and 1989.

Oh, I dunno.  Anybody who seriously consults a bibliography is going to
check its date along with other technical information (such as its publisher
and editor) to see how reliable and comprehensive it is.

Besides, we all know that "the 1980's" are over: the decade ended one
Monday last October, with the stock market crash.  We are now living in
the 1990's.

(Exercise: give the dates on which the following decades began.
The 1940's:  7 December 1941 (in the US)
             3 September 1939 (elsewhere)
The 1950's:
The 1960's: 22 November 1963
The 1970's: