[sci.lang] New language

pbmac@sp7040.UUCP (Pat McClanahan) (01/19/88)

I am getting ready to start on my Masters project in CS, I am thinking of
writing a specific purpose language.  Anyone have any suggestions as to
where there may be a need for a language to deal with a specific area (UNIX
world prefered).  I am willing to consider all suggestions, serious or not.
Please post them on the net in comp.lang.misc or mail them directly to me.

								Thanks!
								Pat McClanahan
							!{ihnp4!hpda!seismo!utah-cs!uplherc}!sp7040!pbmac

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (01/28/88)

In article <236@sp7040.UUCP> pbmac@sp7040.UUCP (Pat McClanahan) writes:

>I am getting ready to start on my Masters project in CS, I am thinking of
>writing a specific purpose language.  Anyone have any suggestions as to
>where there may be a need for a language to deal with a specific area (UNIX
>world prefered).  I am willing to consider all suggestions, serious or not.
>Please post them on the net in comp.lang.misc or mail them directly to me.
>
>								Thanks!
>								Pat McClanahan
I'm doing the same thing.  Since UNIX is based on C, try to design a alnguage
to support the activity of designing languages.

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (01/29/88)

In article <4389@uwmcsd1.UUCP> markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) writes:
>In article <236@sp7040.UUCP> pbmac@sp7040.UUCP (Pat McClanahan) writes:
>>
>>I am getting ready to start on my Masters project in CS, I am thinking of
>>writing a specific purpose language.  Anyone have any suggestions as to
>>where there may be a need for a language to deal with a specific area (UNIX
>>world prefered).  I am willing to consider all suggestions, serious or not.
>>Please post them on the net in comp.lang.misc or mail them directly to me.
>>
>>								Thanks!
>>								Pat McClanahan
>I'm doing the same thing.  Since UNIX is based on C, try to design a alnguage
>to support the activity of designing languages.

I just saw a nice article in comp.hypercube about a systems language
for controlling hypercube-type parallel processors.  One of the things
it offered was a way for users to share cubes by partitioning the
cube's processors into discrete subsets.  Perhaps a language to allow
description/control of what KIND of subset is suitable for THIS
particular applications program I'm about to dump into THAT busy
hypercube, with acceptable degradations and criteria by which to
decide that THIS application would rather WAIT than run with the
selection of processors CURRENTLY available, would make a good
research/programming project.  Optimization among applications, when
the best configuration is not available for each is probably NP
complete and very hard, but heuristics might be a possible extention
of the project.  Worth a look?

But then, what do I know about hypercubes or parallel programming,
anyway?  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.