[sci.lang] Language-free thinking

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (03/08/88)

In article <2894@pbhyf.UUCP> rob@pbhyf.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <44@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM> rolandi@gollum.UUCP (Walter Rolandi) writes:
>+What sort of thinking do people typically do that does not involve language?
>
>I wouldn't know how to call the sorts of thinking I do which do not involve
>language. Language does not give me very good ways of labeling them, so
>they're hard to talk about.

The standard example of non-linguistic problem solving is the following
(forgive me my English):

Suppose a dog carrying a stick enters a fence of inter-spaced vertical
poles. How does he get through the fence?

Almost everybody solves this visually, even if the problem is given
verbally. I suppose most spacial problems (moving the piano to the
second floor..) fall in the category you ask for.
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	As the NSA is now skipping last lines of articles,

morus@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas M.) (03/11/88)

In article <1002@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
>In article <2894@pbhyf.UUCP> rob@pbhyf.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>In article <44@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM> rolandi@gollum.UUCP (Walter Rolandi) writes:
>>+What sort of thinking do people typically do that does not involve language?
>
>The standard example of non-linguistic problem solving is the following
>Suppose a dog carrying a stick enters a fence of inter-spaced vertical
>poles. How does he get through the fence?
>
>Almost everybody solves this visually, even if the problem is given
>verbally. I suppose most spacial problems (moving the piano to the
>second floor..) fall in the category you ask for.

There's no need to restrict thinking to just a handful of senses.
Consider "thinking" (which seems not to be the right label any more) about
a new meal you want to create or alter. You most definitely try to "taste"
the components of the meal and try to configure alternative spices etc.
Another would be choosing a perfum for your spouse - the olfactoric sense
seems to be very important.
You might "think" including feelings of surfaces (stone, sand, grass),
temperatures, "wetness" etc.
"Verbal thinking" seems to be only a small fraction of "real thinking" -
or what do you think?

Thomas Muhr.

--
@  Thomas Muhr    Tel.: (Germany) 030 - 87 41 62    (voice!)                @