[sci.lang] ...and Jupiter aligns with Mars...

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/20/88)

[ Followups directed to sci.psychology only ]

In article <484@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>In article <941@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>> >If you don't know how to learn, then how can you learn to learn?
>> >How can you ever learn anything at all, if you aren't initialized with the
>> >ability to learn?
>>
>> Why do I need to know how to learn in order to learn? Do you deny that
>> unconsioucs learning can occur? The view I cited says that
>> non-intelligent organisms do not in fact know how to learn, cannot learn
>> to learn, cannot control their learning.
>
>Oh, I see.  You aren't distinguishing between knowledge and awareness.

Well, I am distinguishing between awareness of something (knowledge of
how to do something) and the ability to do something.  Lower animals
*have the ability to learn*, but do not in fact know anything,
especially not how to learn.

>It's quite possible to know without being consciously aware of the
knowledge.

I don't know.  That's difficult.  I know that some people think that,
for example, one (unconsciously) knows a language in the same sense that
I know today's date.  But if this is so, it becomes difficult to
distinguish between knowledge and ability.  Let's just say it's a
contentious point, one that doesn't really bear on our argument:
planaria don't know anything, but *can* learn.

>Anyhow, if there is no "knowledge" (conscious or otherwise) of how to learn,
>then the organism has no ability to learn, and so it can't learn to learn.
>Standard bootstrapping problem.  Awareness is another issue entirely.

I don't doubt that you and I know how to learn, probably unconsciously.
I do doubt that such knowledge is necessary for the learning itself.
Planaria just don't know anything at all.  I have no idea what awareness
has to do with it.

| Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, New York, but my opinions
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .