[sci.lang] language translator

athey@cod.NOSC.MIL (The Bit Butcher) (04/12/88)

Hello world,
	Yes, you probably will not believe this but I am doing some low level
under-graduate research that concerns languages and how they can be translated
between any two.  I would really appreciate it if you have written or possess
a piece of software that translates between any two languages.  It should
be public domain but if you wish to entrust it to me temporarily that would
be great too.  If you do not choose to share such software with me,  please
feel free to send me some sort of evaluation of the software.  Tell me if
you know where I can find anything along these lines.
	I would prefer a Spanish to English or vice-versa because of my
incredible familiarity with these two languages.  Ok, so I am a little
shaky on Spanish.  All the same,  Thanks in Advance, to quote everyone else.
	Send submissions to
			athey@nosc.mil

				Thank you,
					-kevin

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/13/88)

In article <1056@cod.NOSC.MIL> athey@cod.NOSC.MIL (The Bit Butcher) writes:
>Hello world,
>	Yes, you probably will not believe this but I am doing some low level
>under-graduate research that concerns languages and how they can be translated
>between any two.  I would really appreciate it if you have written or possess
>a piece of software that translates between any two languages.  It should
>be public domain but if you wish to entrust it to me temporarily that would
>be great too.  If you do not choose to share such software with me,  please
>feel free to send me some sort of evaluation of the software.  Tell me if
>you know where I can find anything along these lines.
>	I would prefer a Spanish to English or vice-versa because of my
>incredible familiarity with these two languages.  Ok, so I am a little
>shaky on Spanish.  All the same,  Thanks in Advance, to quote everyone else.

I am posting this because email from here to your site may be uncertain.
I have a letter from Sr. Ivan Guzman de Rojas, (Bolivia) who has worked
on this problem for several years, which says (in my translation),

     I have continued my investigations up to the point of being
     able to develop a multilingual software transator: "ATAMIRI".

     Currently the ATAMIRI system is working in the translation
     office of the Panama Canal Commission (in Panama).  Also,
     we are starting a pilot operation in three translation
     centers in Europe.

     In the United States we have installed the system in a
     translation office (MTS) in Washington.  Attached is the
     address of Mr. Carlos Guerrero, with whom you may converse
     in more detail...

The address of Mr. Guerrero is

     Carlos A. Guerrero (President)
     Machine Translation Systems
     P.O. Box 57139 Washington, D.C. 20037
     703-354-4707.

As I have only recently received this letter, I have not contacted
Mr. Guerrero and do not know about his company or work.  Sr. Guzman
published a monograph several years ago on the peculiar logic of
the Aymara language, which he found to utilize polyvalent logic,
and theorized that it might be a vehicle -- or perhaps I should
say catalyst -- for the machine translation of natural languages.
If there is any interest I will dig out the book and put the address
of its publisher (an agency of the Canadian government) on the net.

for the translation of
other natural languages.

shorne@hubcap.clemson.edu (Scott Horne, ) (04/29/88)

From article <808@actnyc.UUCP>, by gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch):
> ... Sr. Guzman
> published a monograph several years ago on the peculiar logic of
> the Aymara language, which he found to utilize polyvalent logic,
> and theorized that it might be a vehicle -- or perhaps I should
> say catalyst -- for the machine translation of natural languages.
> If there is any interest I will dig out the book and put the address
> of its publisher (an agency of the Canadian government) on the net.

Please do put more information about this book on the net.

				--Scott Horne

BITNET:		PHORNE@CLEMSON
Smart mailer:	shorne@{citron,amber,hazel}.cs.clemson.edu (?)
		....!gatech!hubcap!{citron-cs,amber-cs,hazel-cs}!shorne
		(If that doesn't work, send to cchang@hubcap.clemson.edu)
SnailMail:	Scott Horne
		812 Eleanor Dr.
		Florence, SC   29501
VoiceNet:	803 667-9848

				--Scott Horne

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (05/02/88)

In article <1527@hubcap.UUCP> shorne@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:

>From article <808@actnyc.UUCP>, by gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch):
>> ... Sr. Guzman
>> published a monograph several years ago on the peculiar logic of
>> the Aymara language, which he found to utilize polyvalent logic,
>> and theorized that it might be a vehicle -- or perhaps I should
>> say catalyst -- for the machine translation of natural languages.
>> If there is any interest I will dig out the book and put the address
>> of its publisher (an agency of the Canadian government) on the net.

>Please do put more information about this book on the net.

>				--Scott Horne

The monograph in question was entitled "Logical and Linguistic Problems of
Social Communication with the Aymara People", by Ivan Guzman de Rojas.

The research was sponsored by the International Development Research Centre
(IDRC), Ottawa, Canada, and bears the reference code: IDRC-MR66e, dated
January 1985.  It also bears the following legend on the cover sheet:

	Material contained in this series is
	normally reproduced as submitted without
	formal peer review or editing.

The postal address of the IDRC is: 280 Albert Street
				   Ottawa, Ontario
				   CANADA

			Telephone: (613) 236-6163

This monograph runs to 166 pages, plus 40 odd pages of appendices and
references.  I must admit that I enjoyed reading it, but I am not myself
convinced of the correctness of the author's views (expressed elsewhere)
of the suitability of Aymara as an MT bridge language.  However, that is
personal bias from someone not active in the MT world; read the paper and
form your own opinion.

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley - Cognos Incorporated: P.O. Box 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive
Compuserve: 76174,3024		      Ottawa, Ontario  K1G 3Z4, CANADA

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (05/04/88)

In article <1527@hubcap.UUCP> shorne@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From article <808@actnyc.UUCP>, by gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch):
>> ... Sr. Guzman
>> published a monograph several years ago on the peculiar logic of
>> the Aymara language, which he found to utilize polyvalent logic,
>> and theorized that it might be a vehicle -- or perhaps I should
>> say catalyst -- for the machine translation of natural languages.
>> If there is any interest I will dig out the book and put the address
>> of its publisher (an agency of the Canadian government) on the net.
>
>Please do put more information about this book on the net.

The title of the book, in English, is

     Logical and Linguistic Problems of Social Communications
       with the Aymara People
      ,      ,
by  Ivan Guzman de Rojas.  This is a straight translation of the
Spanish title.

I obtained Spanish and English versions of the book from:

     International Development Research Centre
     P.O.Box 8500
     Ottawa, Ontario k1g 3h9
     Canada.

They have i.d. codes for the books, of course: IDRC-MR66e for the
English version, and IDRC-MR66s for the Spanish.  I ordered the books
by telephone, but I've misplaced the number.  I think they were free.

I have a reprint of a New York Times article by Marlise Simons
which describes the book briefly, and I'll send a copy of it to
anyone who wants it and can email or post a US mail address.