[sci.lang] Education, language and class

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (11/29/88)

This should really be in sci.lang, but as Banks put his foot in it here ...

Followups to sci.lang

Finally, if you're not reading this, my apologies again for phrasing some
earlier comments in what is taken as anti-American propaganda. Peace?

In article <1821@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>Maybe he dislikes our meritocracy, but at least here
>a child of working class parents can become a professional
>without having to learn to disguise an accent.
When I did my education degree, all education systems in the West (and
the Eastern block for that matter), did a very good job of replicating
the social order.  I do not think things have changed, nor that the US
system is significantly better than European systems at giving everyone
an equal chance at Educational achievement, especially when you look at
the fortunes of the largely hispanic and black working class.  The
interesting comparison would be between an East End of London white and
a Harlem Black (or between the latter and a Brixton black in the UK).

There are hard statistics on this sort of thing, so look before you
boast of meritocratic superiority.  I don't think US college profiles
will be any less socially skewed than European ones, especially not
Ivy League.  And what about trying to get into Berkeley if you're
Asian?  News here is that there are unofficial quotas to stop bright
Asians overrunning the place (and news in U.S.A. too, I read an article
on this in the States last September).

What differs across societies are the symbols of class.  In Britain,
and much of Europe, language is a class marker.  Some people do
disguise their accents, others emphasise them in defiance of snobbery.
It does affect how you are judged socially, but I have yet to hear of
anyone being excluded from the professions because they divn't taak
proper.  The pressure is felt, but I'd be surprised if no Southern
American has ever felt pressure to soften off their accent when
working in the North, as a professional.  A Turing test here is the
accent given to American speech synthesisers.  I've yet to hear a broad
Texan one.  In fact, most of them sound like New England professionals :-)
(or would do if they worked).  Anyone know of a black speech
synthesiser?  Are articles like the Dartmouth review's "Dis Sho' Ain't
No Jive Bro"  completely deviant?  Why did Labov have to write "The
logic of non-standard English"? about Black English being no 'worse'
than white language.  The question is, do American blacks entering
professions feel any less pressure to change their language than the
British working class?

Finally, as a child of working class parents, I can tell you that the
problem in Britain is as much dialect as accent.  I had to use less
dialect once I went to college because my dialect is unintelligible to
many other Britains (and most Americans, I have problems when I visit).
As it was, I was still discovering my dialect words when teaching
working class kids with a different dialect in the Midlands.  I stopped
using them there too.

If you are interested in British sociolinguistics, a Scot who does not
normally use dialect words, will not disguise their accent after many
years in England.

--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

jeff@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (12/16/88)

In article <1992@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert
Cockton) writes:
>When I did my education degree, all education systems in the West (and
>the Eastern block for that matter), did a very good job of replicating
>the social order.  I do not think things have changed, nor that the US
>system is significantly better than European systems at giving everyone
>an equal chance at Educational achievement, especially when you look at
>the fortunes of the largely hispanic and black working class.

>There are hard statistics on this sort of thing, so look before you
>boast of meritocratic superiority.  I don't think US college profiles
>will be any less socially skewed than European ones, especially not
>Ivy League.

Why don't *you* look.  As far as I can tell from admittedly unsystematic
observation, most people leave school at age 16 or so in the UK and only
a very few go on to University.  In the US, most stay in school 'till 18,
and a far greater proportion go to University.  There are a fair number
of "minority" students even in the Ivy League.  The US isn't so different
as to make everyone happy, and is, of course, not better in every way,
but there certainly seem to be significant differences.

I would also like to know how you determined that the working class
is largely hispanic and black.  I am perfectly willing to be convinced
by hard statistics, but not by seemingly automatic assumptions.