[net.sf-lovers] blowing up planets

ethan@utastro.UUCP (05/20/84)

<Woodman spare my planet>

Sorry for the science but,

Hutch writes:
>One thing that may be being overlooked is the source of the
>higher-numbered elements.  There is to my knowledge no reason
>for the Big Bang to have produced anything more complicated than
>hydrogen, directly.

According to the standard model the early universe contained matter
which was predominantly hydrogen, but about 1/4 (by mass) helium.
All heavier elements were made subsequently inside stars.  A
point which tends to confirm this is that the oldest stars are
very poor in elements heavier than helium whereas young stars are
a few percent heavier elements.

"Only perverts use cute signoffs."   Ethan Vishniac
                                     {kpno,charm,ut-sally}!utastro!ethan