[sci.lang] French-English computing dictionaries

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (04/25/89)

Does anyone know of a good French-English technical dictionary with UP TO DATE
computing terminology in it?  Or does anyone maintain a comprehensive glossary
of French computing terms in machine-readable form?

[ warning - US readers will have to edit the Newsgroups: line for followups
            as you don't get eunet.esprit ]

--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho

roberts@sunray.UUCP (Robert Stanley) (04/27/89)

In article <2855@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk
	   (Jack Campin) writes:

>Does anyone know of a good French-English technical dictionary with UP TO DATE
>computing terminology in it?  Or does anyone maintain a comprehensive glossary
>of French computing terms in machine-readable form?

I find the following reference to be useful:

    Harrap's French and English Data Processing Dictionary
    by Claude Camille and Michel Dehaine
    Published by Harrap's, London
    ISBN 0 245 54195 0

    The latest edition I know is dated April 1985

The Department of the Secretary of State of Canada has just published a two
volume set entitled:

    Artificial Intelligence Vocabulary
    Terminology Bulletin 184
    by Noel Lazure
    ISBN 0-660-54136-X
    Copyright Minister of Supply and Services Canada 1988

This is an astonishingly rich, if slightly erratic, set of definitions and
cross references in English and French.  It is available in Canada at all
Government bookstores, and at the better general bookstores.  It should be
available internationally, but is unlikely to be in stock.  If anyone is
truly desperate to see this, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do here at
Canadian government central.  However, I am not about to become a book
dealer.

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley - Cognos Incorporated: 3755 Riverside Drive, P.O. Box 9707,
Compuserve: 76174,3024		      Ottawa, Ontario  K1G 3Z4, CANADA