[sci.lang] Electronic vs. Written Literacy

rdnelson@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger D Nelson) (05/06/89)

In article <2031@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>     I was thinking about this also.  I think what may be more important about
>written media is that they are more "permanent".  One way to exploit a person
>is to present them with constantly changing messages, so that they can't
>remember what you said before.  If you are literate, you can write it down and
>save it away.  I suppose you could record visual things, but that is harder.

I suspect all this speculation is moot in the face of evolving
societies, but will add a couple of points anyway:
1.  Written and even printed material can be produced easily, even in
hostile environments -- eg totalitarian governments.
2.  All of the competition depends on a healthy technological culture,
and can be trashed by pulling the plug -- not so for books and papers.

On a more positive note, and perhaps more relevant to psychology, it
is probably demonstrable that writing per se helps make people more
creative and clear-minded, more successful, more nearly actualized,
than they would be without the excercise.

Other references would be more appropriate, but didn't McCluhan do this
general topic years ago?

Roger Nelson   rdnelson@phoenix.princeton.edu