[sci.lang] Geographical uses of "in" and "on"

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (04/24/89)

In English, the spatial relation between a point and a geographic polygon is
"usually" expressed with the preposition "in".  This is consistent with the
idea that the polygonal region is conceived of as a CONTAINER.  However, for
some geographic polygons, English uses "on", which implies a PLATFORM
image-schema.  So far, I cannot come up with any set of characteristics
of the polygons that would indicate whether "in" or "on" is used.  Or,
alternatively, I cannot come up with metaphors that would attach each
example to a CONTAINER or PLATFORM prototype to form a radial category
structure (a la Lakoff).

I posted this query a couple of months ago, and did not receive anything that
I consider to be "the answer".   So, once again, if anyone reading this knows
the answer, or has a plausible explanation, please respond via email or posting.

David M. Mark, Geography, SUNY at Buffalo
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

Some examples:

"Where does George live?"

GROUP A: "IN", the CONTAINER image-schema

He lives in Mexico
He lives in Wyoming
He lives in Manitoba
He lives in Whatcom County
He lives in Clarence, New York
He lives in Seattle
He lives in Central Park
He lives in Yellowstone Park
He lives in Los Padres National Forest
He lives in the parking lot
He lives in his back yard
He lives in the new subdivision
He lives in my neighborhood
He lives in the Mission school district
He lives in a cornfield
He lives in Fred's pasture
He lives in a meadow

GROUP B: "ON", the PLATFORM image-schema

He lives on the Fort Lewis military base
He lives on the Stanford University campus
He lives on an Indian reservation
He lives on parcel "B"
He lives on Quilchena golf course
He lives on the highschool football field
He lives on a tennis court
He lives on his front lawn
He lives on Henry's farm
He lives on Frank's ranch
He lives on Peter's land
He lives on his own property

krista@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Anderson) (04/25/89)

<>
In article <5434@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes:

> GROUP A: "IN", the CONTAINER image-schema
>
> He lives in Mexico
> He lives in Wyoming
> He lives in Manitoba
> He lives in Whatcom County
> He lives in Clarence, New York
> He lives in Seattle
> He lives in Central Park
> He lives in Yellowstone Park
> He lives in Los Padres National Forest
> He lives in the parking lot
> He lives in his back yard
> He lives in the new subdivision
> He lives in my neighborhood
> He lives in the Mission school district
> He lives in a cornfield
> He lives in Fred's pasture
> He lives in a meadow
>
> GROUP B: "ON", the PLATFORM image-schema
>
> He lives on the Fort Lewis military base
> He lives on the Stanford University campus
> He lives on an Indian reservation
> He lives on parcel "B"
> He lives on Quilchena golf course
> He lives on the highschool football field
> He lives on a tennis court
> He lives on his front lawn
> He lives on Henry's farm
> He lives on Frank's ranch
> He lives on Peter's land
> He lives on his own property

    Well, this isn't a linguistic answer, but I have an intuitive
feeling that it's idiomatic whether a geographical noun takes
"in" or "on".

    One thing I do note is that the "in" list nouns seem to have
more abstract borders.  The concept of "Mexico" is abstract as are
all political entities.  But the military base or campus has a more
concrete sense of separateness from its surroundings.  The political
border seems more arbitrary or invisible, something you couldn't
imagine in its entirety all at once.*  But "parking lot" is
about as concrete as you can get, yet it takes "in".  :-)

    In learning other languages, it's often necessary to memorize
the idiomatic choice of prepositions.  On the other hand, I think
there's also a vague classification which permits one to "get a feeling"
for the preposition to be used.  In your example, the use of "in"
with political entities is a vague rule.  And the use of "on" with
nouns that elicit an image of the ground is a vague rule.  But words
like "parking lot", "cornfield" and "meadow" don't fit the "on" rule
and words like "base", "campus" and "reservation" don't fit the "in"
rule.

    Perhaps they're just exceptions, or perhaps there are more
rules.  For instance, forests, cornfields, pastures and meadows all
elicit an image of tall things growing.  (A pasture usually has
trees and a meadow has weeds.)  Even the parking lot has cars among
which we feel slightly hidden.  So there's the feeling of being
"within" or "in" the forests and fields.  And in the backyard it's
very cozy and private as if we're hiding in our private little
world.  (in the world - abstract; on the earth - physical)

    The golf course usually has trees, but is also thought of as
flat and fairly clear, whereas the forest is not.  The "in" nouns
are more three-dimensional.

    As for "base" and "reservation", although they are political
entities in a sense, there's a feeling that they are more physically
bounded by lines drawn on the earth.  I know it's not logical; it is
based on feeling, so that's why it's vague and hard to analyze.

    Also note that some nouns can take either preposition, perhaps
depending on context or the preceding verb.  "My car is in the
parking lot."  "The ball bounced on the parking lot."  "The horse is
in the field."  "The ball bounced on the field."

    In the "on" phrases, the bottom plane of the three-dimensional
space was emphasized due to the context.

    I have an anecdote based on the choice of prefixes that is
similarly based on vague feeling rules rather than logical order.
When our company began issuing badges for us to wear, there was a
ceremonious ritual about taking off the badges to go to lunch.  A
new word was needed, so, in typical American fashion, so we made one
up: "de-badge".  (Of course "re-badge" was used while reentering the
building.)

    But there was one exception.  A friend for whom English was a
second language said "un-badge".  It sounded wrong.  There's some
amorphous rule, some fuzzy logic that makes "de-badge" sound right
and "un-badge" sound wrong.  It may be a vague semantic rule or it
might be simple euphony; "un-badge" is more effort to pronounce.

    Well, the rules exist, but are idiomatic because they're vague
and based on spatial image or emotional feeling, rather than on
things that rules are usually based on such as number, ambiguity
prevention, logical order.  Plus the rules can be in conflict,
whereas that isn't true for most grammatical rules.

    It probably depends on cultural points of view what's important
in setting up vague rules, or the rules may have derived from
anecdotal history or a joke that an ancestor once made that caught
on and was generalized.

*(The Navajo language makes a vague distinction in locational and
directional words between places that are within eyesight or
imagination and places that are too far to see or too big to
imagine.)
--
Krista A.

hirtle@cisunx.UUCP (Steve Hirtle) (04/26/89)

In article <5434@cs.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes:
>In English, the spatial relation between a point and a geographic polygon is
>"usually" expressed with the preposition "in".  This is consistent with the
>idea that the polygonal region is conceived of as a CONTAINER.  However, for
>some geographic polygons, English uses "on", which implies a PLATFORM
>image-schema.  So far, I cannot come up with any set of characteristics
>of the polygons that would indicate whether "in" or "on" is used.

Michel Grimaud had an article in _Geolinguistics_ recently comparing
use of prepositions in French, British English, and American English
and he made some interesting observations and noted systematic
differences.  For example, in American English, "in" is used
for larger political divisions, as "in Ireland," whereas "on" is used
for smaller units, as "on Staten Island."  There is also a consistency
in that we say "in a cornfield" and "walking through a cornfield",
but "on a battlefield" and "walking across a battlefield."

As for the differences, he described how the three languages look
at street names relating it to the issue of containment.  In all three
languages we talk of "in the alley," as alleys are considered containers,
and "on the boulevard," as boulevards are considered surfaces.  But the
languages differ on whether "in" or "on" is used with intermediate
cases.  For example, Americans say "the man on the street" or "on
Wall Street," but in England "the man in the street" is considered
proper.  Metaphorical uses are also discussed.  Grimaud notes that
"The house is on the ocean" is only proper in English, not in French.

Please note that this is my summarization of Grimaud's work;
I do not know that he would agree with my interpretations.

I know I am not answering your query, but I wonder if you
might consider breaking the problem into distinct problems.  That
is, different "rules" (in a given language) might exist for different
classes of terms, be it political boundaries, metaphorical uses, or
something as small as roadway terms.  I did not see your earlier
postings or the replies, so if you could expand on the main points,
or email the earlier entries, I would be interested.

Stephen C. Hirtle
Department of Information Science
University of Pittsburgh

UUCP:     {pitt, decvax}!idis!sch
INTERNET: hirtle@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
INTERNET: sch@idis.lis.pittsburgh.edu
BITNET:   HIRTLE@PITTVMS

krista@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Anderson) (04/26/89)

<>

jmast@cisunx.UUCP (John M Allen) (04/27/89)

In article <12591@ihlpy.ATT.COM> krista@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Anderson) writes:
>When our company began issuing badges for us to wear, there was a
>ceremonious ritual about taking off the badges to go to lunch.  A
>new word was needed, so, in typical American fashion, so we made one
>up: "de-badge".  (Of course "re-badge" was used while reentering the
>building.)
>
>    But there was one exception.  A friend for whom English was a
>second language said "un-badge".  It sounded wrong.  There's some
>amorphous rule, some fuzzy logic that makes "de-badge" sound right
>and "un-badge" sound wrong.  It may be a vague semantic rule or it
>might be simple euphony; "un-badge" is more effort to pronounce.

   The answer for this is very simple.  The prefix `un-' is ambiguous
between to forms.  The first one attaches to adjectives and produces
an adjective with the meaning "not X" (e.g. unclear, unavoidable).
The second one attaches to verbs and produces a verb with the meaning
"to undo X" (e.g. unzip, undress).  On the other hand `de-' appears to
attach to nouns and produces a verb with the meaning "to remove X"
(e.g. defrock).  `Badge' is obviously a noun and not a verb or an
adjective, so the only appropriate prefix is `de-'.

>Krista A.

\		 |  |			John Allen
 \		\ ||			allen@mercutio.lcl.cmu.edu
/ \					formerly allen@mercurio.lcl.cmu.edu
					jmast@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

   "The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of
respect and joy in each other's life.  Rarely do members of one family
grow up under the same roof."  -Richard Bach, _Illusions_

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (04/27/89)

In article <17765@cisunx.UUCP> hirtle@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Stephen Hirtle) writes:
>Michel Grimaud had an article in _Geolinguistics_ recently comparing
>use of prepositions in French, British English, and American English
>and he made some interesting observations and noted systematic
>differences.  For example, in American English, "in" is used
>for larger political divisions, as "in Ireland," whereas "on" is used
>for smaller units, as "on Staten Island."  There is also a consistency
>in that we say "in a cornfield" and "walking through a cornfield",
>but "on a battlefield" and "walking across a battlefield."

Hmm.  I don't think that the size is the critical issue in the usage for
political divisions.  In America, at least, one hears "in America",
"in Massachusetts", "in Cambridge", and "in Kendall Square".  The use of
"on" for the Staten Island example seems to me to be related more to
the nature of the island.  But then, we do say "in Manhattan", which
is very similar to Staten Island as a political subdivision and as an
island.

>As for the differences, he described how the three languages look
>at street names relating it to the issue of containment.  In all three
>languages we talk of "in the alley," as alleys are considered containers,
>and "on the boulevard," as boulevards are considered surfaces.  But the
>languages differ on whether "in" or "on" is used with intermediate
>cases.  For example, Americans say "the man on the street" or "on
>Wall Street," but in England "the man in the street" is considered
>proper.  Metaphorical uses are also discussed.  Grimaud notes that
>"The house is on the ocean" is only proper in English, not in French.

In American English, one also says, "he lives on Smith Street".  French
generally uses "he lives in the Rue Morgue".  I do seem to recall that
"man in the street" is fairly common the US, though -- "man-in-the-street
interviews" are probably interchangeable with "on".

This also brings to mind another question.  In my experience, people from
New York City (and environs -- great word, that) say "stand on line".
Everyone else from America talks about standing "in line".  (Britain avoids
this problem, of course, by "queueing up".)

And, of course, George Carlin drew an important distinction:

     "Would you get on the plane now, sir?"
     "On the plane?! I'm getting *in* the plane, where the pilot is.
      You can get *on* the plane."

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

nol2105@dsacg2.UUCP (Robert E. Zabloudil) (04/27/89)

In article <12598@ihlpy.ATT.COM> krista@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Anderson) writes:
><>
>In article <5434@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes:
>> GROUP A: "IN", the CONTAINER image-schema
>>
>> GROUP B: "ON", the PLATFORM image-schema
>>
>When our company began issuing badges for us to wear, there was a
>ceremonious ritual about taking off the badges to go to lunch.  A
>new word was needed, so, in typical American fashion, so we made one
>up: "de-badge".  (Of course "re-badge" was used while reentering the
>building.)
>
>    But there was one exception.  A friend for whom English was a
>second language said "un-badge".  It sounded wrong.  There's some
>amorphous rule, some fuzzy logic that makes "de-badge" sound right

    Having taken Latin in high school, I would say it's not that fuzzy.
We use "un" as a quite negative prefix, so un-badging might be something you
do when terminating employment:  your badge would then be destroyed and cease
to exist.  Latin "de" means away from or down when prefixing (cf. descend,
decline, defend, defy, decide, derail, delimit, deposit, deposition, etc.),
although some of the meanings have become rather figurative over the years.

    So, as a rank amateur linguist, I would accept de-badge in the sense of
putting down your badge, and re- means again, so you come back and "badge up
again".

We have files which can be dedicated to teleprocessing or batch, and we talk
about dequeuing and requeuing them, which is parallel to your new word.

Of course, there are those who shudder at combining a Latin prefix with
a non-Latin root, but maybe they won't call you on this one.

Bob Zabloudil

Opinions are my own...who else could come up with opinions like these!?

rkpc@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) (04/27/89)

I was wondering if anyone has had the experience with the phrases "in line"
vs "on line".

I have found that when someone in New York talks about waiting on line, they
use the phrase "on line" whereas people from Pennslyvania and Ohio tend to
find the phrase "on line" ridiculous and will object and tell you that the
proper phrase is "in line".

Has anyone else noticed this in other areas of the country ?

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:   {decvax, motown, cpmain, icus}!mergvax!rkpc
ARPA:	rkpc%mergvax.UUCP@decvax.dec.com
USnail-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434 - 2729

hirtle@cisunx.UUCP (Steve Hirtle) (04/28/89)

In article <136@crltrx.crl.dec.com> treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) writes:
>In article <17765@cisunx.UUCP> hirtle@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Stephen Hirtle) writes:
>>... in American English, "in" is used
>>for larger political divisions, as "in Ireland," whereas "on" is used
>>for smaller units, as "on Staten Island."
>
>Hmm.  I don't think that the size is the critical issue in the usage for
>political divisions.  In America, at least, one hears "in America",
>"in Massachusetts", "in Cambridge", and "in Kendall Square".  The use of
>"on" for the Staten Island example seems to me to be related more to
>the nature of the island.  But then, we do say "in Manhattan", which
>is very similar to Staten Island as a political subdivision and as an
>island.

You are correct.  The key fact that I left off was that all small
*islands* or similar units use "on,"  "on Staten Island", "on Nantucket",
but larger units (even though they are islands or land masses) use "in",
"in Ireland", "in Cuba".  Both Cuba and Nantucket are islands, yet
suggest different prepositions.  Note that "on" is used with units
that are isolated or self-contained, even if they are not islands,
provided that they are relatively small.  For example, we say "on Cape
Cod", but "in North America."  It is also true that "in Manhattan"
is used suggesting that Manhattan is seen as a larger political unit
rather than a small island.  And your point is well taken that
small political units (e.g., Kendall Square) that are not isolated
(unlike Cape Cod) would use "in".

Stephen C. Hirtle
Interdisciplinary Department of Information Science
University of Pittsburgh

UUCP:      {pitt, decvax}!idis!sch
BITNET:    HIRTLE@PITTVMS

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (04/29/89)

In article <136@crltrx.crl.dec.com> treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) writes:
>And, of course, George Carlin drew an important distinction:
>
>     "Would you get on the plane now, sir?"
>     "On the plane?! I'm getting *in* the plane, where the pilot is.
>      You can get *on* the plane."

And in the same monologue, he pokes fun at "deplaned":  "I have never
debussed, I have never deboated, but I have deplaned."

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (04/29/89)

In article <5913@mergvax> rkpc@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has had the experience with the phrases "in line"
>vs "on line".
>
>I have found that when someone in New York talks about waiting on line, they
>use the phrase "on line" whereas people from Pennslyvania and Ohio tend to
>find the phrase "on line" ridiculous and will object and tell you that the
>proper phrase is "in line".

Last time I posted my in/on question, the discussion rapidly turned to
this "in line" / "on line" point.  "Standing on line" to wait for, say
tickets or service, seems to be almost strictly a New York City
usage.  It does not seem to extend even to Albany (NY).  Postings last
time did not establish:

a) how far out Long Island the usage extends;
b) whether it extends into Connecticut, or beyond northeastward, and how far;
c) whether it extends into New Jersey, or beyond southward, and how far.

I wonder if it a too-litteral translation for some common-in-NYC
non-English language, perhaps Yiddish or Italian (?).  No-one last time
presented an "explanation", even hand-waving, for the usage.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (04/30/89)

In article <17842@cisunx.UUCP> hirtle@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Stephen Hirtle) writes:
>In article <136@crltrx.crl.dec.com> treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) writes:
>>In article <17765@cisunx.UUCP> hirtle@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Stephen Hirtle) writes:
>>>... in American English, "in" is used
>>>for larger political divisions, as "in Ireland," whereas "on" is used
>>>for smaller units, as "on Staten Island."
>>
>>Hmm.  I don't think that the size is the critical issue in the usage for
>>political divisions.  ...  ...  The use of
>>"on" for the Staten Island example seems to me to be related more to
>>the nature of the island.  But then, we do say "in Manhattan", which
>>is very similar to Staten Island as a political subdivision and as an
>>island.

But does not have "Island" in it's name!  [see below]

>You are correct.  The key fact that I left off was that all small
>*islands* or similar units use "on,"  "on Staten Island", "on Nantucket",
>but larger units (even though they are islands or land masses) use "in",
>"in Ireland", "in Cuba".  Both Cuba and Nantucket are islands, yet
>suggest different prepositions.  Note that "on" is used with units
>that are isolated or self-contained, even if they are not islands,
>provided that they are relatively small.  For example, we say "on Cape
>Cod", but "in North America."  It is also true that "in Manhattan"
>is used suggesting that Manhattan is seen as a larger political unit
>rather than a small island.  And your point is well taken that
>small political units (e.g., Kendall Square) that are not isolated
>(unlike Cape Cod) would use "in".

I think that size per se has almost nothing to do with this.
In fact, I think it is a case of overlapping image-schemas, again.
Conceptualizing something as <<an island>> more-or-less forces one to
select the <PLATFORM> image-schema, and use the preposition "on".  If
the word "island" appears in the name, this almost requires the speaker to
use the platform I-S, and say "on".  "Who lived on Manhattan Island before
the Europeans came?"  When there is a political unit, not having "Island"
in its proper name, which happens to be in 1:1 correspondence with a
physical island, then either "in" or "on" might be used, to force a
particular schema, or to indicate whether we are talking about a
physical island or a country.  "Did anyone live on Cuba before 1492?"
sounds a little odd, but the same sentence with "in" would be even more
strange, since Cuba-the-country did not exist then.  If I say: "My friend
Ron lives in Hawaii" he hight live in Honolulu, or anywhere else in the
state, but if I say: "My friend Ron lives on Hawaii", then if you know the
geography, you know that this means "the Big Island", where Hilo and Kona
are.  So this seems to be a good case of what Len Talmy calls "schema-juggling"
where in this case we can at times lower ambiguity by forcing one schema or
the other.  Size comes in very indirectly through the observation that
small islands almost always have "Island" as part of their proper names,
whereas larger islands often do not.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (05/06/89)

In article <17765@cisunx.UUCP>, hirtle@cisunx.UUCP (Steve  Hirtle) writes:
> Michel Grimaud had an article in _Geolinguistics_ recently comparing
> use of prepositions in French, British English, and American English
> and he made some interesting observations and noted systematic
> differences.  For example, in American English, "in" is used
> for larger political divisions, as "in Ireland," whereas "on" is used
> for smaller units, as "on Staten Island."  There is also a consistency
> in that we say "in a cornfield" and "walking through a cornfield",
> but "on a battlefield" and "walking across a battlefield."
>
> As for the differences, he described how the three languages look
> at street names relating it to the issue of containment.  In all three
> languages we talk of "in the alley," as alleys are considered containers,
> and "on the boulevard," as boulevards are considered surfaces.  But the
> languages differ on whether "in" or "on" is used with intermediate
> cases.  For example, Americans say "the man on the street" or "on
> Wall Street," but in England "the man in the street" is considered
> proper.  Metaphorical uses are also discussed.  Grimaud notes that
> "The house is on the ocean" is only proper in English, not in French.

Well, I don't know about speakers of other dialects of English, but in
mine (American West Coast, basically), there are differences in meaning
between "in" and "on".  For example, I could say:
	My car is parked in the street.
	My house is on the next street.
I.e., "in" means physically located inside the boundaries of the street;
"on" means adjacent to the boundaries.  The metaphor is a container with
boundaries.  A different set of metaphors uses "in" for political/legal
entities with boundaries, but "on" for areas with surfaces.

Thus, a cornfield is a container within which you grow a crop, so you'd
be "in" a cornfield; a battlefield is a surface "on" which actions take
place.  Ireland is primarily a political entity, so "in" is appropriate;
when dealing with some aspects of its tangled history, it makes more
sense (to me) to talk of things happening "on" (the island of) Ireland.
People can live "on" (the island of) Manhattan or "in" (the borough of)
Manhattan.  And so on.

Both "the man in the street" and "the man on the street" sound OK to me,
but the former gives me a bit of an uncomfortable feeling, which comes
from thinking that he'd be safer if he'd join the latter on the sidewalk.

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]