[sci.lang] Of badges and things

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/28/89)

A hilarious alternative (to my ear, anyhow) to "debadge" was offered by my
boss: "disbadge".  And along the same lines, the act of showing a badge
to a security guard is called "badgination".

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

kpk@homxa.ATT.COM (K.KRETSCH) (04/28/89)

In article <17154@mimsy.UUCP>, folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
> A hilarious alternative (to my ear, anyhow) to "debadge" was offered by my
> boss: "disbadge".  And along the same lines, the act of showing a badge
> to a security guard is called "badgination".
>

> Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

Over here, the act of removing one's badge when leaving the premises
is called "denurding" or "denerding".

don@brillig.umd.edu (Don Hopkins) (05/04/89)

In article <17154@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>A hilarious alternative (to my ear, anyhow) to "debadge" was offered by my
>boss: "disbadge".  And along the same lines, the act of showing a badge
>to a security guard is called "badgination".
>

>Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

Nowadays, to leave an airplane is to "deplane". Nobody "disembarks"
any more (This is probably for safety reasons). Lately, they've taken to
asking that passenger not dismantel the smoke detectors in the bathrooms.
It's become part of the chanting ritual with the seat belt and the face mask
that they go through before every flight. I wonder how long until they start
telling passengers not to "disdetectorize the bathroom."

	-Don

barkley@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Matthew Barkley) (05/05/89)

In article <17154@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>A hilarious alternative (to my ear, anyhow) to "debadge" was offered by my
>boss: "disbadge".  And along the same lines, the act of showing a badge
>to a security guard is called "badgination".

And if a security guard asks you several times, nastily, for your badge,
are you being "badgered"?  :-)

shibumi@speedo.UUCP (Kenton A. Hoover) (05/08/89)

In article <17294@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>that they go through before every flight. I wonder how long until they start
>telling passengers not to "disdetectorize the bathroom."

Why not "dedetectorize"?

--
!   Kenton A. Hoover                {att,pyramid,uunet}!acad!speedo!shibumi  !
!  The 3rd Street Electric Light Topless Bar and Church of the Divine Strobe !