[sci.lang] Effects of poor writing?

presnik@bbn.com (Philip Resnik) (04/26/89)

Does anyone know of a study demonstrating that poor quality
prose loses potential business?  (For example, one could
imagine a study showing that, given pairs of prose descriptions,
people tend to choose products whose description does not contain
grammatical errors.)

The view that "effective writing" is good for business is
a commonly held one;  I'm interested in finding out what
has been done experimentally on this topic.

Please respond via e-mail (I probably won't see posted followups),
to presnik@bbn.com.

Thanks,

  Philip

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (04/27/89)

In article <39131@bbn.COM> presnik@bbn.com (Philip Resnik) writes:
>Does anyone know of a study demonstrating that poor quality
>prose loses potential business?  (For example, one could
>imagine a study showing that, given pairs of prose descriptions,
>people tend to choose products whose description does not contain
>grammatical errors.)

     I would also like to see any such studies.  I know that personally,
whenever I see spelling or grammar errors I tend to downgrade the
competency of the writer.  Reading net postings really makes me cringe!
I can understand mistakes involving big and/or little-used words, but to see
things like "mispealt" is horrifying.  It seems that the worst spelling comes
from college students.  Perhaps those of us who have made it into the real
world have learned that spelling does indeed make a difference.

     Any resume that crosses my desk with spelling or grammar errors is usually
instantly rejected.  I once read a resume where the applicant listed Hewlett
Packard as a previous employer and spelled Hewlett as "Hewlit".  I round-filed
that resume at that point.

     People have argued that I am overly critical of these mistakes.  I contend
that a resume is the first impression you make on a potential employer.
If you don't care enough to get it right, how can I believe that you'll
care enough to get your work done right on a regular basis?  Correct spelling
shows attention to detail and a level of discipline that I value in an
employee.

     I know that when I see a misspelled word, it just "seems wrong".  Have
there been any studies on how people determine spelling?  I would also find
that interesting.

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (04/27/89)

In article <1982@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>In article <39131@bbn.COM> presnik@bbn.com (Philip Resnik) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a study demonstrating that poor quality
>>prose loses potential business?
>
>     I would also like to see any such studies.  I know that personally,
>whenever I see spelling or grammar errors I tend to downgrade the
>competency of the writer....
>     Any resume that crosses my desk with spelling or grammar errors is usually
>instantly rejected....
>If you don't care enough to get it right, how can I believe that you'll
>care enough to get your work done right on a regular basis?  Correct spelling
>shows attention to detail and a level of discipline that I value in an
>employee.

Sounds to me as if Chuck Musciano had already made up his mind about the
correlation between general competence and proficiency at trivial tasks
like spelling.

One thing that concerns me here is that CM might not have the same notions
about correctness as someone else.  And in fact, there are many grey areas
in English (and American) usage.  Usage experts themselves often disagree.
For instance, would you use "whose" for "of which"?  The latter is often re-
garded as the better of the two.  Only recently has "whose" come to be ac-
cepted in elite circles as a reasonable replacement for "of which."  So where
do we draw the line?  Whose elitism will rule the day?  Do you split infini-
tives?  End sentences with prepositions?  How about good ol' "I" and "me"?
Will you go with popular usage, and say, "He came with you and I," or will
you "correctly" say, "He came with you and me"?  Or will you "incorrectly" say
the last sentence (thinking you are not paying attention to your grammar)?

Geez, in sci... I'd think we would be more concerned with explaining be-
havior than in guiding it.

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/28/89)

In the discussion about grammar and spelling, it seems to me that there are
three concepts that must be distinguished: grammar, spelling, and typos.

Discussions of grammar are usually heated, as different grammatical
constructions are usually based on a (perhaps only perceived) difference
in meaning.  Grammar is also context-sensitive, in that grammar that is
common in "everyday speech" is not as acceptable in casual writing, and
grammar that is common in casual writing (such as here) is not always
appropriate in "educated writing."

Spelling, on the other hand, is much less troublesome.  Spelling of a word
(within one dialect, such as American English) is fairly standardized.  It is
rare to see two opinions on how a word should be spelled.  Even if there are
alternatives (e.g. "gray" versus "grey"), they have nothing to do with meaning.
(All of this does not mean that American English does not have funny
rules of spelling.)

Typos are independent of spelling and grammar, though the result of a typo
is always a misspelling, which sometimes results in a legal, but inintended
word being used. Anyone can make a typo, no matter how perfect their
spelling or grammar.  The disgrace of a typo depends on what the situation:
on the net, it is no big deal to have a couple of typos, but in a resume,
you should strive to have none.

IMHO, a general rule is: one's knowledge, intelligence, and curiosity are
*usually* reflected in the breadth and depth of one's reading and the breadth
and depth of one's reading is usually reflected in one's grammar and
spelling.

Someone else mentioned that scientists should be judged on their work, not
on their grammar.  But in scientific writing, greater precision is needed
than in non-scientific writing, isn't it?  For example, there is a *huge*
difference between "x^3" and "3^x" in an equation, or between "intra-" and
"inter-", or between "i := j" and "j := i".  In fact, I was recently browsing
through new books at the campus store and saw a book which explores the
relationship between black children's Black English and their poor math
test scores.  I cannot remember the specifics, but basically Black English
usage dictates phrases (something) like "I had half as less", which
wreaks havoc with turning word problems into equations.  It also causes
problems in that Black English uses different metrics for distance, etc.,
which causes unit conversion problems.  (Note: I did not read the book,
and I am no linguist, so I cannot vouch for its methods or conclusions.
I only know that this book was in a reputable bookstore, which I hope would
not contain poorly researched or racist books.)

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (04/28/89)

In article <2947@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>Sounds to me as if Chuck Musciano had already made up his mind about the
>correlation between general competence and proficiency at trivial tasks
>like spelling.

     I don't characterize spelling as a "trivial task", although I know many
bad spellers who do.  I believe that spelling does correlate with attention
to detail.  Spelling correctly can be difficult (and don't think that I won't
reread this posting about three times before it goes out :-).

     The example I chose was a resume.  This is an important example, I think,
because it is often a person's only chance to make an impression when trying
to find a job.  When I wrote my resume, I paid a great deal of attention to
spelling, grammar, and punctuation.  I believe that a person should be
disciplined enough to examine and correct such an important document before
submitting it to the scrutiny of someone who, with a single decision, will
affect the rest of their life.  I have strong doubts about a person who
seems to lack this discipline.

     Other, less formal, instances aren't as important to me, although I still
cringe.  I can't count the number of times when things on the net are so badly
spelled that you literally cannot make sense of them.  Often, the entire
sense of a statement will be inverted by a single spelling error.  I resent
having to decode such postings when the original poster obviously did not
take the time to proofread his message before sending it out.

>One thing that concerns me here is that CM might not have the same notions
>about correctness as someone else.  And in fact, there are many grey areas
>in English (and American) usage.  Usage experts themselves often disagree.
>For instance, would you use "whose" for "of which"?  The latter is often re-
>garded as the better of the two.  Only recently has "whose" come to be ac-
>cepted in elite circles as a reasonable replacement for "of which."  So where
>do we draw the line?  Whose elitism will rule the day?  Do you split infini-
>tives?  End sentences with prepositions?  How about good ol' "I" and "me"?
>Will you go with popular usage, and say, "He came with you and I," or will
>you "correctly" say, "He came with you and me"?  Or will you "incorrectly" say
>the last sentence (thinking you are not paying attention to your grammar)?

     Usage differences are a problem, but as I said, I try to calibrate
against the environment and how big a hair is being split.  As the editor
of a newsletter here at Harris, plus having been co-author on several papers,
I have seen tons of bad usage, and try to continue the good fight for clear,
readable, correct English.

     Sentences ending with prepositions amuse me, because I always think of
the (Winston Churchill, I believe) quote that "it is something up with which
I will not put".

>Geez, in sci... I'd think we would be more concerned with explaining be-
>havior than in guiding it.

     Although I'm reading in comp.cog-eng, I would agree with the statement.
However, my posting stated that I wanted to see the studies regarding spelling,
and went on to state my opinion.  I would guess that studies would show that
spelling skill does affect the impression a person makes, particularly in
formal situations.

     I would also think that scientists are concerned with precision, and
correct spelling is certainly a precise art.  I would imagine that anyone
submitting a paper at least makes an effort to spell things correctly, and
in certain situations, a spelling error can disastrously change what a
person intended to say.

     My spelling nightmare is a spelling error I made in the camera-ready copy
of a paper I had published.  The error is in the TITLE!  Unfortunately, the
error merely created a new, correctly spelled word, so my fancy spelling
checker missed it.  I proofed that title several times, and never caught it.
My mistake, I suppose, was not having someone who hadn't been working on the
paper for two weeks proof it for me.  I'm no less lenient on bad spellers,
and if there were some sort of speller's prison, I'd have to serve my time,
I suppose.

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (04/28/89)

In article <39131@bbn.COM> presnik@bbn.com (Philip Resnik) writes:
>Does anyone know of a study demonstrating that poor quality
>prose loses potential business?  (For example, one could
>imagine a study showing that, given pairs of prose descriptions,
>people tend to choose products whose description does not contain
>grammatical errors.)

I discounted this article when I read it.  In paragraph one, there was
a grammatical error.  The parenthetical phrase should read:

(... people tend to choose products whose descriptions do not contain
 grammatical errors.)

Cheers,
Glenn Reid

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (04/28/89)

In article <17158@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>IMHO, a general rule is: one's knowledge, intelligence, and curiosity are
>*usually* reflected in the breadth and depth of one's reading and the breadth
>and depth of one's reading is usually reflected in one's grammar and
>spelling.

Interesting.  But am I the only one that gets impatient with this sort
of thing?  Sci.lang is a good place to argue out linguistic theories.
So, if this is your theory, please offer us some evidence - an experiment
or an observation of some kind that will provide us with some basis for
agreeing with you.  You don't have to be a "linguist" per se.  We just
need something tangible to work with.

No offense or anything.  My best friend is a cabinet maker who has hardly
picked up a book since he got out of High School.  He's also one of the
most intelligent and thoughtful people I know, and he has a thriving bus-
iness as a fine woodworker in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.  In my experi-
ence, this sort of person is not rare.  If we are to posit some correlation
between ability to spell or concern for things like typos and ability to
perform in a real, working environment, doing things that may or may not
involve spelling and typing things correctly, we must offer something more
than personal feelings.  Or else we gotta move to talk.lang....

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (04/28/89)

From article <17158@mimsy.UUCP>, by folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta):
" ...
" problems in that Black English uses different metrics for distance, etc.,
" which causes unit conversion problems.  (Note: I did not read the book,
" and I am no linguist, so I cannot vouch for its methods or conclusions.
" I only know that this book was in a reputable bookstore, which I hope would
" not contain poorly researched or racist books.)

Although the reputable bookstores here in Hawaii do maintain staffs
of reviewers to check out the research before they will offer a
book for sale, this may not be true in all areas.  You ought to
make sure, also, that your bookstore does have a linguist on its
staff and that all ethnic minorities and majorities are properly
represented among the reviewers.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (04/29/89)

In article <1982@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
}In article <39131@bbn.COM> presnik@bbn.com (Philip Resnik) writes:
}>Does anyone know of a study demonstrating that poor quality
}>prose loses potential business?  ...
}
}     I would also like to see any such studies.  ...

Not a flame, but a suggestion to all the people who've been requesting
pointers to research studies:

Get thee to the local college library and become familiar with the
_Psychological Abstracts_.  These contain references to all the published
psych literature by author, title and subject.  You'll find an hour or two
spent with them far more productive than asking for pointers here.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

jdpsy205@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jason Covington) (04/29/89)

Hi guys,
This may be the wrong article to respond to but, it was the only article
I could remember the number to.  At any rate...
It seems a large portion of this `conversation' has turned to whether or
not scientists need to worry about what their words mean.  My question in
all of this is; Isn't that what we have Technical Communicators for?
Bye guys.

jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) (04/30/89)

In article <17158@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>IMHO, a general rule is: one's knowledge, intelligence, and curiosity are
>*usually* reflected in the breadth and depth of one's reading and the breadth
>and depth of one's reading is usually reflected in one's grammar and
>spelling.

	Spelling and grammar checkers coming into more common use will make
writting easier, in much the same way calculators and spreadsheets have made
personal accounting easier.  Human-Machine interfaces are continually moving
away from text and towards speech and/or icons.
	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
as it becomes less important to human communication.  One can only assume
that natural language, speech recognition, and higher resolution communication
media (HDTV, ISDN) technologies will make literacy less important in the
workplace of the future.  Literacy is already outdated by TV, film and radio
for entertainment.  The industrial revolution made literacy a prerequisite for
success, the information revolution just beginning may well make literacy
unneeded again.
	Then again, an age of word-processors, spell-checkers, grammar correctors,
on-line thesauruses, dictionaries and encyclopedias may make for a new age of
literacy in which people are less constrained by their ability to write than
by the quality of their thoughts.

	Any errors in logic or grammar are my own, any errors in spelling are my
spell-checkers...

jonathan@itcatl.gatech.edu|  He is the MELBA-BEING ...  The ANGEL CAKE ...
       DISC Access        |    XEROX him ...
   Products Group, Inc.   |      XEROX him  --  Zippy
       Atlanta, GA        |

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (05/02/89)

In article <357@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) writes:
>	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
>as it becomes less important to human communication.  One can only assume
>that natural language, speech recognition, and higher resolution communication
>media (HDTV, ISDN) technologies will make literacy less important in the
>workplace of the future.  Literacy is already outdated by TV, film and radio
>for entertainment.  The industrial revolution made literacy a prerequisite for
>success, the information revolution just beginning may well make literacy
>unneeded again.

     This is certainly a horrifying view of the future!  Although TV, film,
and radio are important to our culture, I also think that a grounding in the
written history of our society, both sociological and cultural, is far more
important.  Frankly, there is no more effective way, I think, to communicate
ideas than to write them down and have others read them.  Even in this day and
age of video technology, the written word is unsurpassed in its ability to
reach millions of people.  Bandwidth-wise, it's impossible to beat the 35 cent
paper that hits my driveway each morning.  I cannot foresee video text
technology with the price, capacity, and convenience of a newspaper for some
time.

     An illiterate populace is an easily manipulated, I would even say
stupid, populace.  Literacy is really a cornerstone of freedom.

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

milgram@paideia.uchicago.edu (Michele Sara Milgram) (05/02/89)

In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck
 Musciano) writes:
   [Written communication is very effective.  "Bandwidth-wise, it's impossible
    to beat the 35 cent paper ...."]

Newspapers aren't why I think literacy will always be important. I can
envision people getting the news only from non-print technologies
(t.v., cable t.v., radio).  But there are little details of everyday
life that make literacy a necessity (or at least it's aggravating if you
can't read).

I live in a neighborhood where quite a number of adults can't read and
can't do simple math (I'm talking adding & subtracting numbers under
3 digits).  At the corner grocery store I had to help a woman get some
razors, a bottle of Coke, and a six-pack of beer.  When she went to
pay she wasn't sure if she had enough money (she had $20).

Michele Milgram
Internet: milgram@paideia.uchicago.edu
BITnet: milgram%paideia@UCHIMVS1

sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez) (05/02/89)

In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
(Chuck Musciano) writes:
>>	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
>>as it becomes less important to human communication. . .
>>. . .  The industrial revolution made literacy a prerequisite for
>>success, the information revolution just beginning may well make literacy
>>unneeded again.

In article <357@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP
(Jonathan Peterson) replies:
>     This is certainly a horrifying view of the future!  . . .
>. . .  Literacy is really a cornerstone of freedom.

Literacy is a double-edged sword.  If even now we are able to see the
effects of the unequal distribution of (written) knowledge through the
educational system, just imagine a society where this knowledge is
primarily distributed through the electronic media.  The key question
is that of the access to such knowledge, either via what C.M.
calls `traditional literacy', or via the electronic media or
audiovisual channels.  While literate people can, through writing,
transform experience and, in a way, not only receive knowledge, but
also produce it, our control of the audiovisual media is practically
non-existent.

The interpretation of visual messages also requires some sort of
literacy.  But the majority of the people are visually illiterate, that
is, untrained in the interpretation of visual messages which are, more
often than not, texts constructed through selective manipulation of
fragments of events (I'm thinking particularly about news reports
or interviews).  While in a written text elliptical material is usually
represented by (. . .) or similar conventions, on TV events are ordered
and presented without regard for the actual structure of the
actions/events/words reported.  And dealing with the written text
involves both reading and writing, whereas dealing with mass-media
images usually only involves the passive activity of watching.

Written literacy still has a role in the future -- not one of freedom,
though I would like to believe so, but one of social selection.  It is
possible that basic literacy continues to expand socially through the
educational system.  But it is also possible (and, perhaps, it is
already a visible trend) that the production and control of written
knowledge becomes more and more concentrated in the hands of reduced
elites, while the overwhelming majority of the population continues to
be primarily -- and passively -- informed or misinformed through visual
channels, thus contributing to the illusion of `a new kind of
literacy'.

Celso Alvarez

In article <23871@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez) writes:
>In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
>(Chuck Musciano) writes:
>>>	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
>>>as it becomes less important to human communication. . .
>>>. . .  The industrial revolution made literacy a prerequisite for
>>>success, the information revolution just beginning may well make literacy
>>>unneeded again.
>
>In article <357@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP
>(Jonathan Peterson) replies:
>>     This is certainly a horrifying view of the future!  . . .
>>. . .  Literacy is really a cornerstone of freedom.

     Please note that Mr. Alvarez has reversed the attributions here.  I made
the second comment, and Mr. Peterson, the first.

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (05/02/89)

In article <2970@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>In article <17158@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>>IMHO, a general rule is: one's knowledge, intelligence, and curiosity are
>>*usually* reflected in the breadth and depth of one's reading and the breadth
>>and depth of one's reading is usually reflected in one's grammar and
>>spelling.
>
>Interesting.  But am I the only one that gets impatient with this sort
>If we are to posit some correlation
>between ability to spell or concern for things like typos and ability to
>perform in a real, working environment, doing things that may or may not
>involve spelling and typing things correctly, we must offer something more
>than personal feelings.  Or else we gotta move to talk.lang....

I used to teach in an English Secondary School (11-18 year olds). I
taught many bright children with poor reading and writing skills.
These skills are very poor indicators of whole classes of performances
in 'non-academic' tasks.  Hence the well-read, academically successful
nerd and the illiterate, street-wise and ultra-sharp hussler.

I agree with both posters.  There is no conflict.

Wayne's "knowledge" is "school knowledge" - book knowledge presented in
a bookish way for regurgitation in a bookish manner.

Richards "knowledge" is "action knowledge" - common sense knowledge
gleaned from active interaction in a rich social and physical
environment.

It is possible to have one without the other.  However, as reading and
writing skills tend to go hand in hand, poor grammar and spelling can
be taken as a sign of limited reading abilities, and thus limited
contact with written culture.  Nerdhood is a similar indicator of zero
contact with the social contexts of common sense knowledge :-)

Moral: there is much more to knowledge than what is written down.
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (05/03/89)

In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
}In article <357@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) writes:
}>	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
}>as it becomes less important to human communication.  One can only assume
}>that natural language, speech recognition, and higher resolution communication
}>media (HDTV, ISDN) technologies will make literacy less important in the
}>workplace of the future.  Literacy is already outdated by TV, film and radio
}>for entertainment.  The industrial revolution made literacy a prerequisite for
}>success, the information revolution just beginning may well make literacy
}>unneeded again.

Sure.  And we're all working in paperless offices, right?

If anything, the information revolution has put a premium on literacy.
HDTV will finally allow decent presentation of high density text on video
screens.  Natural language processing and speech recognition have been ten
years in the future for the last 30 years.  Right now they're five years
in the future and I'll bet they stay there for the next 15 years.  Heck,
we're just barely beginning to get our act together on character text and
grammar recognition.

If you think the crap and pap that even the best of TV programming
presents can replace books, you must be pretty illiterate yourself.  Film
isn't significantly better and radio isn't even a visual medium.

}     An illiterate populace is an easily manipulated, I would even say
}stupid, populace.  Literacy is really a cornerstone of freedom.

Absolutely true.  Have you noticed who's been gutting state and federal
education programs for the last few decades?  Scary.

--

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (05/03/89)

From article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com>, by chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano):
> In article <357@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) writes:
>>	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
>>as it becomes less important to human communication.....
>
>      This is certainly a horrifying view of the future!  ....
> ....  Frankly, there is no more effective way, I think, to communicate
> ideas than to write them down and have others read them....

Written communication can be effective, but it depends on "good
writing."  Not spelling or punctuation per se, but the use of grammar,
diction, rhetoric, etc., to convey the intended meaning.

The most serious "Effects of poor writing" are being misunderstood, and
not being understood at all.

To my mind, the classical example (and I don't remember where I read it)
was the story of a surgeon who was looking for a surgical technique he
needed to save a patient's life.  He found exactly what he needed in a
medical journal, but the article that described the technique was not
quite clear enough to work from.  The obvious thing to do was contact
the author and ask what he meant.  But the author was dead.

Now maybe this is a fictional tale, but it is illustrative.  The
purpose of writing is to convey meaning to someone you cannot talk to.
Poor writing fails to convey meaning.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu (Celso Alvarez) (05/03/89)

In article <2005@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
(Chuck Musciano) notes that I messed up the references to two postings:

>     Please note that Mr. Alvarez has reversed the attributions here.  I made
>the second comment, and Mr. Peterson, the first.

Sorry about that.

Celso Alvarez

In article <376@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM
(martin.b.brilliant) writes:

>Poor writing fails to convey meaning.

Nope.  It conveys a different meaning from the one supposedly intended.

Celso Alvarez
sp299-ad@violet.berkeley.edu

fransvo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Frans van Otten) (05/03/89)

Gilbert Cockton writes:

>Wayne's "knowledge" is "school knowledge" - book knowledge presented in
>a bookish way for regurgitation in a bookish manner.
>
>Richards "knowledge" is "action knowledge" - common sense knowledge
>gleaned from active interaction in a rich social and physical
>environment.

Basically, I agree with Gilbert (for once :-).  But I do have one
objection:  You imply that "book knowledge" can't become "action
knowledge" without the active interaction in a rich etc. environment.
I don't think this is entirely true.  I believe that "book knowledge"
can become "action knowledge"...  What else would "book knowledge"
be good for ?
--
	Frans van Otten
	Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (05/04/89)

From article <4352@ttidca.TTI.COM>, by hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath):
" In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
"
" If you think the crap and pap that even the best of TV programming
" presents can replace books, you must be pretty illiterate yourself.  Film
" isn't significantly better and radio isn't even a visual medium.

Let's try to distinguish prediction from wishful thinking, shall
we?  It can happen that TV replaces books even if you don't
like that.  Because the future may be horrifying won't keep
it from happening.  If freedom really depends on literacy, it is
certainly an odd way of reasoning to assume that we will have
freedom and to conclude that therefore literacy must endure.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (05/04/89)

In article <3893@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <4352@ttidca.TTI.COM>, by hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath):
>" In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>"
>" If you think the crap and pap that even the best of TV programming
>" presents can replace books, you must be pretty illiterate yourself.  Film
>" isn't significantly better and radio isn't even a visual medium.
>
>Let's try to distinguish prediction from wishful thinking, shall
>we?  It can happen that TV replaces books even if you don't
>like that.  Because the future may be horrifying won't keep
>it from happening.  If freedom really depends on literacy, it is
>certainly an odd way of reasoning to assume that we will have
>freedom and to conclude that therefore literacy must endure.

     PLEASE check attributions!  I did not write the above.  I believe "The
Polymath" did.

     The point I was making was that freedom is dependent upon an informed
populace, and that literacy is the cornerstone of the free distribution of
information.  If literacy disappears, I think most freedom will not be far
behind.

brian@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Brian Miller) (05/05/89)

In article <2018@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>     The point I was making was that freedom is dependent upon an informed
>populace, and that literacy is the cornerstone of the free distribution of
>information.  If literacy disappears, I think most freedom will not be far
>behind.

I disagree.  "Free distribution of information" _is_ necessary in preserving
freedom, but I don't see where literacy comes in.  I can get a truckload of
information out of an evening of TV and never see a written word.  Yes,
the traditional art of mastering literate discourse _is_ falling by the
wayside, but that is only symptomatic of a civilization that is weaning
itself from a diet of pure text as the sole form of _recorded_ information.
Our generation is caught in this transtion from a primitive reliance
on the written word as our sole message delivery system to
embracing a whole host of hi-tech media, some literate and some not.
Communication _is_ an important part of modern life.  I do agree that
mastering literacy (as I would want of any other form of discourse) is
key to attaining a society where all of the elements (people) function in
harmony.  Coordination demands it.  But let's not forget that there may be
other media which may eventually require practice just as reading/writing/
talking do.

					       Brian Miller.

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (05/05/89)

In article <3893@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
}From article <4352@ttidca.TTI.COM>, by hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath):
}" In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
}"
}" If you think the crap and pap that even the best of TV programming
}" presents can replace books, you must be pretty illiterate yourself.  Film
}" isn't significantly better and radio isn't even a visual medium.
}
}Let's try to distinguish prediction from wishful thinking, shall
}we?

Let's.  If you say it, it's prediction.  If I say it, it's wishful
thinking.  Right?

}It can happen that TV replaces books even if you don't
}like that.  Because the future may be horrifying won't keep
}it from happening.  If freedom really depends on literacy, it is
}certainly an odd way of reasoning to assume that we will have
}freedom and to conclude that therefore literacy must endure.

TV may _supplant_ reading, as the reading skills of the general population
decline, but it will never _replace_ reading.  I can't foresee a world
where every technical paper, every high school exam, every master's thesis
etc., etc., is presented as a totally audio-visual experience with no
recourse to writing or letters at all.  Economically, it's far cheaper to
produce and publish a good book than even the worst film or TV show.  Look
at how many books are published annualy vs. TV shows, even though there's
at least one TV in nearly every home in the nation.

TV has its place and books have theirs.  The fact that some people can't
or won't read doesn't mean one is going to replace the other.

--

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (05/05/89)

In article <2679@puff.cs.wisc.edu> brian@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Brian Miller) writes:
>I disagree.  "Free distribution of information" _is_ necessary in preserving
>freedom, but I don't see where literacy comes in.  I can get a truckload of
>information out of an evening of TV and never see a written word.

     I was thinking about this also.  I think what may be more important about
written media is that they are more "permanent".  One way to exploit a person
is to present them with constantly changing messages, so that they can't
remember what you said before.  If you are literate, you can write it down and
save it away.  I suppose you could record visual things, but that is harder.
I am reminded of "Animal Farm", where the pigs constantly repaint the rules on
the barn wall, but none of the animals can remember what used to be there.

     Isn't literacy wonderful?  How neat to be able to pluck an event from a
single book, and have a reasonable chance of evoking the same memory in a
large group of literate, culturally similar people.  How sad to think we may
lose that capability.

brian@cat50.CS.WISC.EDU (Brian Miller) (05/05/89)

In article <2031@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>     Isn't literacy wonderful?  How neat to be able to pluck an event from a
>single book, and have a reasonable chance of evoking the same memory in a
>large group of literate, culturally similar people...

On that note, does anyone remember a book about media and society by
(Neil?) Postman?  I suspect I "have a reasonable chance..." :-).
I <skimmed> it for a paper freshman year, and all I can remember
is that it was chalk full of pertinent observations on everything
we've been chewing on.  If anyone _has_ read this book and can
recall some of Postman's examples/arguments/observations, please post.
	Would be cool...
					      Thanx.

jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) (05/06/89)

In article <4352@ttidca.TTI.COM>, hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
> In article <2000@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
> }In article <357@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) writes:
> }>	I think traditional "literacy" is falling more and more by the wayside
[...]
> }>information revolution just beginning may well make literacy
> }>unneeded again.
>
> Sure.  And we're all working in paperless offices, right?

More and more people ARE working in paperless manufacturing plants.

> If anything, the information revolution has put a premium on literacy.
> HDTV will finally allow decent presentation of high density text on video
> screens.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that about the same number of
people will use a $2500 HDTV for reading as currently use their radio to
listening to TV.  Admittedly text only channels exist, but who watches them?
They scroll to damn slow, and they give me NO information that I can't get
in the morning paper.  (with the exception of airline flight schedules at
Hartzfield international).

> If you think the crap and pap that even the best of TV programming
> presents can replace books, you must be pretty illiterate yourself.

a. I NEVER said TV was BETTER than books, but you have to admit that the
AVERAGE American spends 5-10 times with the TV than with books.
b. I'll ignore the illiteracy comment, as it assumes I was talking about
TV QUALITY not PREVALENCY.

> Film isn't significantly better

I'll argue with this one...  Film has a MUCH more immediate and visceral
impact than any literature.  (I make a distinction between FILM and movies).
FILM has more impact on the group watching it as a whole, though literature
may well have more impact on a given individual.  I'll match Lawrence of
Arabia against ANY work of literature that can be read in the same period
of time.  MOST (not all) will be more affected by Lawrence.

I would hope that someday TV will rise above the crap it currently feeds us.
With 60 channels on cable I am rarely offered more than 1-3 things worth
watching, often nothing.

Time to move this discussion elsewhere, if more is needed.

drew@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Drew Eisenhauer) (05/07/89)

In article <2880@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) writes:

>I used to teach in an English Secondary School (11-18 year olds). I
>taught many bright children with poor reading and writing skills.
>These skills are very poor indicators of whole classes of performances
>in 'non-academic' tasks.  Hence the well-read, academically successful
>nerd and the illiterate, street-wise and ultra-sharp hussler.
>
>I agree with both posters.  There is no conflict.

There is if these two stereotypes are mutually exclusive which
they are not-

>Wayne's "knowledge" is "school knowledge" - book knowledge presented in
>a bookish way for regurgitation in a bookish manner.

Taking into account the pejorative tendencies of a word like "bookish"
surely you are not suggesting that all, most, a large part, or even a resonable
amount of  "knowledge" learned from books is "bookish" in this sense.
First of all nothing
works quite so well as "regurgitation;" Once learned by Rote never forgotten-
is an old expression which I've totally butchered because I can't remember
exactly how it goes- but I can remember exactly how the Marseillaise goes
although I learned it in the seventh grade and although I can't spell it
(an unfortunate fact which I will address below). Second, the notion that
there is a "school knowledge" seperate from a "street" or another type of
knowledge, implies an inate inferiority, a sense of uselessness in the "real
world" and what's much worse and what you're really driving at is that by
it's very definition "school knowledge" is just plain boring.

>Richards "knowledge" is "action knowledge" - common sense knowledge
>gleaned from active interaction in a rich social and physical
>environment.

Right, right, right...

>It is possible to have one without the other.  However, as reading and
>writing skills tend to go hand in hand, poor grammar and spelling can
>be taken as a sign of limited reading abilities, and thus limited
>contact with written culture.

I went through school at a time when various experiments were
being tried "open-spaced education" and so forth which have basically proven
to be utter failures.  In my case I have no grip on spelling, punctuation,
or grammar (within certain rigid definitions of these)n, no doubt you can tell
from this posting if you look, but I am currently writing an MA thesis in
American Literature- I have in fact a great deal of contact with reading
and  pretty well developed "reading abilities."  Hemingway also could not
spell.

>Nerdhood is a similar indicator of zero
>contact with the social contexts of common sense knowledge :-)

No doubt, but often these "social contexts of common sense knowledge"
are utter rubbish- such as most of the garbage in the steet, American
television, or anything else...(but billiards:-})

>Moral: there is much more to knowledge than what is written down.

-He says in writing.

--
Is not conscience a pair of breeches; though a cover for lewdness
as well as nastiness, is easily slipt down for the service of both?

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (05/09/89)

In article <366@itcatl.UUCP> jonathan@itcatl.UUCP (Jonathan Peterson) writes:
}I would hope that someday TV will rise above the crap it currently feeds us.
}With 60 channels on cable I am rarely offered more than 1-3 things worth
}watching, often nothing.

At least we agree on this point.  The major effect of cable and satellite
TV has been to add much acreage to "the great wasteland".

--

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (05/09/89)

In article <4365@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>}It can happen that TV replaces books...
>TV ... will never _replace_ reading.

I agree.  But...

>Economically, it's far cheaper to
>produce and publish a good book than even the worst film or TV show.

Are you saying that the most expensive book costs less than the least
expensive TV show?  I seriously doubt it.  A few people with a camera can
put out a shoddy half-hour TV show with a few hours work.  A competent book
publication, contrariwise, takes months of work by author(s), editors,
proofreaders, typesetters, artists, printers, distributors, and a host of
other people doing minor functions.

>Look at how many books are published annually vs. TV shows...

I assume your point is that there are many more new books than new TV
programs.  I'm not sure this is the case.  There are many TV shows with a new
episode every week or every weekday.  Most of the hundreds of stations in
the U.S. produce a significant amount of local programming (news, talk shows).
Then there are are the shows produced specifically for cable.  That comes
to a _lot_ of TV shows, hundreds every day.

By contrast, there are (by my generous estimate) about 260,000 new books
published annually in the U.S., around 712 per day.

I'd say it's probably pretty close.

> even though there's at least one TV in nearly every home in the [U.S.]

No there isn't.  I know of several homes that have no TV.
--
    "Lalabalele talala!  Callabele lalabalica falahle!  |   Andre Guirard
     Callamalala galalate!  Caritalla lalabalee		|   cipher@3m.com