[sci.lang] Handheld Electronic Translating Dictionaries

rolandi@gollum.UUCP (wgr) (06/03/89)

With the advent of handheld wordfinders and electronic dictionaries,
one would think that there might be similar devices available for
translators.  For example, you input a word in one language and the
gizmo outputs the dictionary translation in some other language.

Proximity was supposed to be working on such things.  Does anyone know
of a product like this which is currently available?

Walter Rolandi
rolandi@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
(insert your feed here)!ncrlnk!ncrcae!rolandi
NCR Advanced Systems Development
Columbia, SC  USA

lammens@sunybcs.uucp (Jo Lammens) (06/04/89)

In article <254@gollum.UUCP> rolandi@gollum.UUCP (Walter G. Rolandi) writes:
>With the advent of handheld wordfinders and electronic dictionaries,
>one would think that there might be similar devices available for
>translators.  For example, you input a word in one language and the
>gizmo outputs the dictionary translation in some other language.
>
>Proximity was supposed to be working on such things.  Does anyone know
>of a product like this which is currently available?

I happened to stumble across one in a mail order catalog (Publishers
Central Bureau): contains an incredible 8000 word (sic) vocabulary,
comes in English-Spanish or English-French version, for only $79.95
each. Ridiculous of course. Any serious bilingual dictionary will
contain on the order of 50000 words or more, will list ten or so
translations for most words (the electronic version seems to have only
one) with example sentences and the like, and cost less than half. And
it doesn't use batteries either.

Oh, I forgot: it's also a full-function calculator!

Jo Lammens

BITNET: lammens@sunybcs.BITNET          Internet:  lammens@cs.Buffalo.EDU
UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!lammens