[sci.lang] RPN Germanic Languages

henk@cs.eur.nl (Henk Langeveld) (08/10/89)

UWC6NTG@UICVMC.BITNET (Nicholas Geovanis 312-996-0590) writes:

> [ treatise on German Grammar deleted ]

>   Anyway, I wouldn't call German an RPN language, and my limited experience
> with Dutch suggests the same. Any Europeans care to comment?
>                        NickGeovanis - UWC6NTG@UICVMC.EDU

Well, I started this...
Dutch and German aren't RPN languages, but the observation about the
verbs is quite right.  When a sentence contains more then one verb, all
but one are usually placed at the end.
To give an example, this text is written in English.
   ^^^^                       ^^ ^^^^^^^
Om een voorbeeld te geven, deze tekst is in het Nederlands geschreven.
Watch the verbs!

Now for a pathological example:

'Ik zou jou wel eens hebben willen zien blijven staan kijken.'
'Ik would have liked to see you stay to stand and watch.'

But this has got little to do with Forth, followup to sci.lang

--
Henk Langeveld, Unix SysAdmin	| domain: <henk@cs.eur.nl>
Department of Computer Science	| alt:	   henk@eurtrx.uucp