[sci.lang] ASCII for national characters

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (11/19/89)

(This is hardly news for comp.std.internat readers, but the
subject belongs to that group.)

Salmela Jarmo (js@kaarne.tut.fi) writes:
>PS. The ASCII standard that supports national characters is really
>needed.

Well, ASCII supports all national characters it can think of.
I.e, American.

But, seriously it exists. The standard you want is ISO 8859,
which is a family of eight-bit standards, all with good all
ASCII in the 0-127 slots, new control characters in 128-159,
non-break space in 160 and "soft hyphen" in ord('-') + 128.
Then the rest is different in the various standards, which
are five standards with Latin characters, and one each with
Kyrillic, Arabian, Hebrew and Greek characters. I don't if
all of them are settled, but at least Latin-1 and Latin-2 are.

One can predict that for the next few years Latin-1 will be the
most important since it covers all major Western European languages
except Welsh and Catalan I think. Latin-2 covers Eastern European
languages.

Then of course there is problem to start posting Usenet articles
from your VT320 using Latin-1. People with seven-bit terminals,
of which there probably are a few, will get the new characters
folded into old making your text quite incomprehensible, even
worse than those brackets and braces you get using the national
seven-bit conventions for dotted "a":s and "o":s.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se