[sci.lang] Hewbrew font

mcfet@cs.sfu.ca (Paul McFetridge) (06/08/91)

A friend would like to prepare a book for camera
ready copy. To do so, he requires a Hebrew font for
an ibm pc. I have seen mention of such many times
but have not made note of them. Could someone
recommend one by e-mail.

Thank you.

Paul McFetridge
Dept. of Linguistics
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C.
Canada

goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (06/08/91)

In <1991Jun7.172841.24781@cs.sfu.ca> mcfet@cs.sfu.ca (Paul McFetridge) writes:
>A friend would like to prepare a book for camera
>ready copy. To do so, he requires a Hebrew font for
>an ibm pc. I have seen mention of such many times
>but have not made note of them. Could someone
>recommend one by e-mail.

This type of question comes up from time to time in sci.lang, and it's
really a logical place to ask.  To give a decent answer, though, you
need to hand out a brief resume of

	a) your machine type
	b) operating system & version
	c) intended hardcopy output device(s)
	d) word processing or typesetting software
	e) video device (e.g. for PC users, do you have a VGA? EGA?)

Questions you must ask yourself before posting are:

	1) where do I want the font to appear (on screen, on hardcopy, etc.)
	2) what range of font-types are acceptable

You have to ask the first question first because (unless you are on a NeXT
or something) it is likely that screen and printer output devices will need
different fonts.  Do you want both fonts?  One?  You also have to ask what
sort of font you want.  E.g. if you are doing Hebrew, is Rashi script OK?
Do you need cantillation marks?  Vowel points?  Do you want a standard or
more liturgical type font?

The hardest part is deciding where you'll get the best results posting.
Try

	1) a group dedicated to your wp, typesetter, or page-description lang
	2) a group dedicated to the language or culture whose script you use

If all else fails, then

	3) post to sci.lang

With regard to your query:  You really need to answer the first set of ques-
tions I listed above.  The answer will depend a great deal on what operating
system you run (probably DOS), what video device you use (VGA?), on what prin-
ter you plan on utilizing (HP? PostScript?), & on what sort of font would be
acceptable.

I hope this helps.

--

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
   goer@sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil) (06/09/91)

There was a free font called Shalom in postcript/TeX(??) format loaded
recently to ymir.