[sci.lang] Unifon alphabet / font

ping@hub.toronto.edu (Ping Lin) (06/10/91)

The book "Computer Graphics Software Construction" (John R. Rankin, 1989)
mentions a font for the Unifon alphabet on p.247.  The only detail that
the book gives about Unifon is that "(it) is based on the principle that
the spelling of all words should correspond to their phonetic pronunciation."

Does anyone know where can find more information about Unifon, or other
similar alphabets based on phonetic principles for English?

Thanks,
Ping Lin

poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun10.001445.3141@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> ping@hub.toronto.edu (Ping Lin) writes:
>"...Unifon `is based on the principle that the spelling of all
> words should correspond to their phonetic pronunciation.'"

The book cited is not really correct. Unifon is a phonemic orthography
for English, not a phonetic one. The principle that it embodies is
that the spelling of all words should correspond to their phonemic
representation. It is one of the most recent of a long line of proposals
to make English spelling more surface phonemic, eliminating both
morphophonemic spellings and outright non-phonological spellings.
The letters themselves are, to my eye, quite ugly.

Bill