[net.sf-lovers] So you earthlings think FTL is impossible, eh?

butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (05/23/84)

From:  butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Dave Butenhof, VAX-11 RSX AME)

OK, here: while I hate to flame on such an obviously pyrophilic (-: it ASKS
for flames! :-) topic, I just can't pass this one up:

>   From: sun!qubix!steven @ Ucb-Vax
>   Subject: Re: Death Star weapon.
>
>   >  The plausibility is the same as for FTL, thiotimoline, and the
>   >  radio in Galileo's day - impossibly small *at this time*. Later
>   >  on, who knows?
>
>       <sputter sputter foof>
>           FTL is *IMPOSSIBLE*   DO YOU HEAR ME????
>           YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT MAKING A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE
>           THAN YOU HAVE AT MAKING AN FTL DRIVE!!!!
>       <foof sputter sputter>
>
>       I find it somewhat humorous (in a sick sort of way) that people
>       who are supposed to be as intelligent as SF readers, can totally
>       ignore the findings of Einstein -- without even bothering to
>       read or understand them.
>
>       What Einstein discovered, is a new (UNBREAKABLE) law: much like
>       the Second Law of Thermodynamics.  And ALL THE FUTURE SCIENCE IN
>       THE WORLD, will not change it, or allow one to get around it
>       somehow.
>
>       The "hyperspace" excuse, arises from an incomplete understanding
>       of what Einstein discovered: you cannot "go around" the
>       distance, because the very act of APPEARING at a place before
>       light gets there, is exactly equivalent to going backwards
>       through time.
>
>       Steven Maurer

Einstein  did  NOT  codify an unbreakable "law of the universe." What he did
was  to  formulate  a  new  THEORY  which explained all observable phenomena
better than any previous theory. Like any sophisticated theory, it can never
really  be  proven  true  (there  could always be ONE last phenomenon in the
universe which would defy the theory: and that would invalidate it!). It can
only  be proven FALSE by finding something which doesn't follow it. This has
not happened (yet), but may. Until Einstein, the theory of Newton thoroughly
covered  the  area of gravitation and was considered a universal law. We now
know  that  it  was  merely a local approximation of the truth -- it's still
just  as valid in many ordinary circumstances, but can't explain all the odd
behavior  in  this  universe.  It is possible -- even likely -- that we will
eventually  find  that Einstein's theory is similarly limited. We will never
know  this  (or  it's converse, that his theory really is perfect) merely by
flaming.

Whenever  someone  holds up Einstein as gospel, I've always been reminded of
an  old  short  story I read somewhere. You see, it turns out that ages ago,
some  star traveller's FTL ship crashed on our planet. Due to the technology
involved,  it's  FTL  field  generator  survived,  and  this field is SOLELY
responsible  for  much  of the physics we have developed (including the idea
that  the speed of light is some sort of universal constant or speed limit).
The  rest  of  intergalactic  civilization  thought  this  all  to be rather
amusing,  when  we  finally managed (with non-FTL spaceships) to get outside
the field's influence ...

dave butenhof
Digital Equipment Corp.
110 Spitbrook Rd.