[sci.math] Geometry/Algebraic Geometry query.

greg@endor.harvard.edu (Greg) (10/19/86)

Does anyone have references, knowledge, or ideas about the following class
of problems:

Let k be a non-negative integer.  Suppose you have n points in the plane
{(x_i,y_i)} such that if i>j, x_i>x_j.  There is any easy theorem that states
that there is a function f such that:

1) The k'th derivative of f is defined and continuous.
2) For all i f(x) restricted to [x_i,x_i+1] is a polynomial of degree k+1.
3) f(x_i) = y_i for all i.

My question is about possible generalizations (they would come in handy for
some computer graphics stuff that I'm doing).  Let T be a triangulation of the
interior of a polyhedron P in R^n.  Let g be a function from the vertices of T
to the reals, and let k be a non-negative integer.  Is there always a function
f such that:

1) The k'th derivative of f is defined and continuous.
2) For any n-dimensional simplex S of T, f restricted to S is a polynomial of
degree k+1.
3) For any vertex v of T, f(v) = y(v)?

For an even broader generalization, we may allow the faces of the simplices of
T to be algebraic surfaces of some degree (of course, we would need to allow
f to have degree >k+1 as well) rather than flat, and we could allow T to be
embedded in an algebraic surface of some degree rather than R^n.
----
gregregreg

greg@endor.harvard.edu (Greg) (10/21/86)

In article <471@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> greg@endor.UUCP (Greg) writes:
>Let T be a triangulation of the
>interior of a polyhedron P in R^n.  Let g be a function from the vertices of T
>to the reals, and let k be a non-negative integer.  Is there always a function
>f from P to R such that:
>
>1) The k'th derivative of f is defined and continuous.
>2) For any n-dimensional simplex S of T, f restricted to S is a polynomial of
>degree k+1.
>3) For any vertex v of T, f(v) = y(v)?

Here are the essentials of an article that I stupidly posted to net.math rather
than sci.math.  I also wish to make a minor correction:

I'm convinced that if f has degree k+1, f usually doesn't have enough degrees
of freedom to satisfy all of the above conditions.  So I'll change the
question some:  For what integer d (which may depend on k, n, and T) can we
always find an f with the above properties such that f restricted to S is a
polynomial of degree d?
----
Greg