[sci.math] probability models for tennis scoring systems

riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle) (10/11/86)

Last fall I posted a request for "real world" applications of stochastic
processes that I could use in a course I was going to teach.
Many people sent me suggestions, one of which was an example in
Kemeny and Snell's book on finite Markov chains in which they consider
a game of tennis as a simple random walk (when the score reaches
deuce).  Well, the students really liked this example, so this summer,
just for fun, I spent some time expanding upon their model and wrote
a short paper comparing the four common scoring systems currently in
use in tennis - the original rules (win by two games), the 9 point
tiebreaker, the 12 point tiebreaker, and the Van Alen No-Ad scoring
systme.  My basic assumption was that each player has a fixed
probability of winning a point when that player serves.  I then derived
formulas for computing the probabilities of winning a set under the
four scoring systems.  Of course, if each player has the same
probability of winning a point when serving, then the probability of
winning a set should be 1/2 for each (it makes a difference with the 9
point tiebreaker which player serves first, so there I average the
probabilities obtained for when each player is the first server of the
set).  However, if one player has a small advantage over the other in
serving efficacy, then this advantage gets magnified when considering
the entire set.  Which scoring system produces the least magnification?
Interestingly, the 9 point and the No-Ad systems are "best" in this
respect.

If anyone is interested in seeing a copy of the paper, just sent me mail
and I will send you one.

desj@brahms (David desJardins) (10/23/86)

In article <1715@emory.UUCP> riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle) writes:
>[...]  However, if one player has a small advantage over the other in
>serving efficacy, then this advantage gets magnified when considering
>the entire set.  Which scoring system produces the least magnification?
>Interestingly, the 9 point and the No-Ad systems are "best" in this
>respect.

   This has nothing to do with mathematics, but isn't the system that
produces the *greatest* magnification "best"?  Presumably the objective
is to determine the better player, so it seems desirable to have the
most sensitive possible tool for doing that.

   As for the statistics, I hope that you took into account the length
of the sets resulting from the various scoring systems.  Otherwise, all
you have discovered is that in longer sets the inferior player's chance
of winning is reduced (hardly a revelation!).  The question you probably
want to ask is something like, "Given a certain average number of points
to be played, which scoring system best uses those points to discriminate
between the players?"  Figuring out exactly what question to ask and how
to answer it is actually a fairly interesting problem -- I'm not a
statistician, so I'll leave it to them to discuss if they wish.

   -- David desJardins

wjh@wayback.UUCP (Bill Hery) (10/23/86)

>  Last fall I posted a request for "real world" applications of stochastic
>  processes that I could use in a course I was going to teach.
>  Many people sent me suggestions, one of which was an example in
>  Kemeny and Snell's book on finite Markov chains in which they consider
>  a game of tennis as a simple random walk (when the score reaches
>  deuce).  Well, the students really liked this example, so this summer,
>  just for fun, I spent some time expanding upon their model and wrote
>  a short paper comparing the four common scoring systems currently in
>  use in tennis - the original rules (win by two games), the 9 point
>  tiebreaker, the 12 point tiebreaker, and the Van Alen No-Ad scoring
>  systme....
>  .................Which scoring system produces the least magnification?
>  Interestingly, the 9 point and the No-Ad systems are "best" in this
>  respect.

I would think that the best is the one that produces the MOST
magnification; i. e., the best way to score tennis is the way in
which when player A is only a little better than player B, then A has
a very high probability of winning.  The best method is thus the best
dicriminator between players.  If I remember correctly, Kemeny and Snell
also did an analysis for the world series format (win 4 out of 7),
and showed that it was a much worse discriminator than even a single
game of tennis with the regular deuce rules.

Also, please email me a copy of the paper you wrote.  I couldn't
reach you via the paths you posted.

Bill Hery
ihnp4!bonnie!wayback!wjh