[sci.math] LP packages under MSDOS

gritz@homxb.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (10/17/86)

I am not a regular reader of this group, but my scrounging around has
indicated that it is the best place to post this request.  If I am wrong, I
apologize.

Does anyone out there have any experience with MSDOS based linear programming
packages (simplex method type stuff)?  If not MSDOS, then a package that
would run on a VAX 11/785?  I know that there are dozens of packages, but
I do not have a clue as where to find them or how to evaluate them.  I need
it to solve prototypes of what will eventually be a large (possibly Karmarkar
sized) LP.  Inputs would be a simple min objective function and loads of
constraints (tens, possibly hundreds).

If I am asking the wrong people, please respond by email with suggestions
as to who might be the right people.

Thanks,
Russ Sharples
AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel
homxb!gritz

wjh@wayback.UUCP (Bill Hery) (10/24/86)

In article <2052@homxb.UUCP>, gritz@homxb.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:

> I am not a regular reader of this group, but my scrounging around has
> indicated that it is the best place to post this request.  If I am wrong, I
> apologize.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience with MSDOS based linear programming
> packages (simplex method type stuff)?  If not MSDOS, then a package that
> would run on a VAX 11/785? ..........
> ..........  Inputs would be a simple min objective function and loads of
> constraints (tens, possibly hundreds).

For MSDOS lp packages, look at recent (last two years) issues of OR/MS Today,
a newsletter put out by ORSA and TIMS.  They have reviewed a number of
such packages in recent years.

For the VAX, you can find things within your own company, Bell Labs.
I believe the PORT library includes an lp optimizer for the VAX; PORT
was maintained by dept 11274.  Also, the Operations Research department
(45313) does some lp work; they should know if any other packages are
available within the Labs.