[sci.math] Inscribed pentagon...Help!

mrios@ihlpg.UUCP (Michael Rios) (10/21/86)

(Is the line eater now an imaginary function?)

	I recently have been thinking about a problem I'd created
out of boredom, but I haven't come up with a satisfactory answer.
Will someone please help me put this to rest?

	Given a square of side 10 (or whatever you want...I use
	10 for concreteness) find the length of the side of the
	largest regular pentagon that may be inscribed within it.
	Prove it is the largest.

Thanx...
--
	Michael Rios		ihnp4!ihlpg!mrios

"Gun.  No license.  I checked.  Very bad."
			-Rorschach, _Watchmen_

crocker@ihwpt.UUCP (ron crocker) (10/24/86)

> 	Given a square of side 10 (or whatever you want...I use
> 	10 for concreteness) find the length of the side of the
> 	largest regular pentagon that may be inscribed within it.
> 	Prove it is the largest.

10 sin (36 degrees).

Proof: (by construction - you may need a pencil to follow this.  It
	is difficult to describe (I think...))

Let a be the length of the side of the square, and L be the length
of the sides of the regular pentagon.

First, inscribe the largest circle possible within the square.  It
will touch the square at the 4 midpoints of the sides of the
square, and therefore will have radius r = 5 (a/2).

Now, draw your regular pentagon.  It will have 5 sides, of equal
length, with 108 degree angles between the sides.  Connect the
center of the circle to each of the 5 "points" of the pentagon.
You now have 5 isosceles(sp?) triangles with a 72 degree angle
between the radii edges.  Note that these line segments bisect the
angles of the edges of the pentagon, so the other two angles are
both 54 degrees (This does add to 180 degrees).

Take any of these triangles, and draw a line segment from the
center of the circle to the midpoint of the pentagon edge.  This
creates a right triangle, where the hypotenuse is r (= 5), half the
pentagon edge (now length L/2) is opposite of the 72/2 = 36 degree
angle.  (See figure below)

       L/2
    -----------
    \       |_|
     \        |
      \       |
       \    __|_____ 36 degrees
 hypo-  \   | |
tenuse   \  v |
length r  \   |
           \  |
            \ |
             \|
              . -- center of circle

Therefore, using the simple trignometric identity,

                length of opposite side
	sin t = -----------------------
                length of hypotenuse

we see in our triangle that

                L/2
       sin 36 = ---
                 5

Solving this for L, we see that

	L = 2 * 5 * sin 36
	  = 10 sin 36 degrees

QED.

desj@brahms (David desJardins) (10/25/86)

In article <1179@ihwpt.UUCP> crocker@ihwpt.UUCP (ron crocker) writes:
>> [ What is the area of the largest regular pentagon which can be enclosed
>>   within a square of side 10? ]
>
>[ Answer derived from the pentagon inscribed within a circle inscribed in
>  the square. ]

   To see that this is not the largest possible regular pentagon, choose a
rotation of this inscribed pentagon such that none of its vertices lie at
any of the four points of intersection of the circle with the square.  Then
it is clear that the pentagon can be slightly expanded about its center
without extending outside of the square.

   Any maximal pentagon within the square must necessarily have four of its
vertices lie on the sides of the square.  This is because any pentagon with
only three vertices on the square either can be expanded in the direction of
the fourth side of the square, or can be rotated to bring only two vertices
into contact with the square, and then expanded.
   To find the correct solution, we consider the area of the pentagon as a
function of the angle of rotation of its main axis with respect to the axis
of the square.  Since the square has 90-degree rotational symmetry, and the
pentagon has 72-degree rotational symmetry, the possible orientations of the
pentagon are parametrized by an angle ranging from 0 to 18 degrees.  Or, to
look at it differently, rotating the pentagon by 18 degrees within the square
gives the same orientation, with the vertices relabeled.  If you need to, you
can draw a picture to see this.
   In fact, there is an additional symmetry given by reflection, and we can
thus reduce the range of angles in question to the range from 0 to 9 degrees.
Another way to see this is to see that every possible orientation of the
pentagon within the square will have some side of the pentagon intersect some
side of the square at an angle of 9 degrees or less.  Again, draw a picture
if necessary to see this.

   We can now proceed to maximize the area using the calculus.  Let x be the
smallest angle that a side of the pentagon makes with respect to an edge of
the square; as we have seen, this will be in the interval from 0 to 9 degrees.
WLOG assume that the edge in question is on the bottom of the square, and that
the side in question actually intersects it (simple translation and/or reflec-
tion will accomplish this).
   Let S be the length of a side of the pentagon.  Then simple trigonometry
tells us that the distance from the center of the pentagon to a vertex is
S/(2 sin36), the distance from the center of the pentagon to a side is
S/(2 tan36), and the distance between two nonadjacent vertices is 2Scos36.
   The height of the rotated pentagon (from the bottom vertex to the top
vertex) is
		(S/(2 sin36) + S/(2 tan36)) (cos x) + (S/2) (sin x)

and the width (from the leftmost to the rightmost vertex) is

		(2 S cos36) (cos x).

   For the pentagon to be maximal one of these values must be equal to 10.
To maximize S, we will minimize the larger of the factors by which it is
multiplied in the above expressions.  It turns out that this minimum comes
at the value x = 9 degrees, at which the two expressions become equal (for
all smaller value of x the second expression is the larger).  So, the answer
is that the maximum side length is

		S = 10 / (2 cos36 cos9) = 6.2574

and the corresponding area is

		A = 5/(4 tan36) S^2 = 67.3649.

   If you want to draw a picture of this orientation, one of the sides of the
pentagon intersects two of the edges of the square at 45-degree angles.

   This actually wasn't all that hard -- I was pretty sure that the above was
the correct answer from the beginning -- but I wanted to go through it in
enough detail that everyone who is interested can understand it.  I hope I
succeeded.

   -- David desJardins

avg@navajo.UUCP (10/25/86)

Put the pentagon like a house, flat side down.  Now put the square
around it like a diamond.  The pentagon touches all 4 sides of the
square and is held rigidly, thus is locally maximum.  I.e., any slightly
different orientation of the same sized square would force the pentagon
to be smaller.
Now convince yourself that there is no other local maximum, i.e., rigid
orientation, and move on to something else.

pash@sjuvax.UUCP (10/31/86)

In article <2595@ihlpg.UUCP> mrios@ihlpg.UUCP (Michael Rios) writes:
>(Is the line eater now an imaginary function?)
>
>	I recently have been thinking about a problem I'd created
>out of boredom, but I haven't come up with a satisfactory answer.
>Will someone please help me put this to rest?
>
>	Given a square of side 10 (or whatever you want...I use
>	10 for concreteness) find the length of the side of the
>	largest regular pentagon that may be inscribed within it.
>	Prove it is the largest.

You can't inscribe a regular pentagon in a square.  For, suppose the
five vertices of a regular pentagon were each on the square.  Then
two would have to be on one side of the square, say on AB, where the
square's vertices are ABCD. Call the pentagon EFGHI, where EF lies on
AB.  Then it's clear that |IG| = |AB| = |BC| = |HJ|, where J is on EF
and HJ is perpendicular to EF.  (i.e., HJ is an altitude of the pentagon.)
But since the length of all diagonals of a regular pentagon are equal,
we also have |HF| = |IG|, so that |HF| = |HJ|.  But this is impossible,
because HF is the hypotenuse of right triangle HJF and HJ is a leg.

If you remove the restriction "regular", the problem still has no answer
as you can inscribe a pentagon of area 100 - e, where e is any positive
integer, by lopping off a triangular corner of the square of area e, so
there is no maximal pentagon.

--Peter Ash
  St. Joseph's University