[sci.math] Military funding in mathematics

wpt@princeton.UUCP (William Thurston) (10/17/86)

There has been a rapid increase in military funding in mathematics
recently.  Many mathematicians are disturbed by this trend,
as unhealthy for the discipline and unhealthy and dangerous
for society at large.  A group of us is seeking ways to reverse this trend.
I've written an article on the subject, which will probably appear in the
January Notices of the AMS.  There will also be a panel discussion (in which
I am involved) at the joint annual meeting of the AMS-MAA
in San Antonio.  Resolutions will be put forward on the
floor concerning SDI (star wars) and military funding in general.
I would like to hear from people with information related to military funding.
I will be happy to surface-mail a copy of my article
to anyone who sends an address; if you are interested in distributing copies
locally, I will e-mail the TeX source.

Bill Thurston			...!princeton!wpt
Mathematics Department
Princeton University
Fine Hall, Washington Road
Princeton, NJ 08544

ashby@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/20/86)

/* Written  7:58 pm  Oct 16, 1986 by wpt@princeton.UUCP in uiucdcsp:net.math *
/* ---------- "military funding in mathematics" ---------- */
  There has been a rapid increase in military funding in mathematics
  recently.  Many mathematicians are disturbed by this trend,
  as unhealthy for the discipline and unhealthy and dangerous
  for society at large.
/* End of text excerpt from uiucdcsp:net.math */

Why, pray tell, is this trend so "unhealthy and dangerous" for math
and society.  It really irritates me when people make such outrageous
and unsubstantiated claims.  The least you could do is provide *some*
thread of evidence - if such exists.

-Steven Ashby
 Dept. of Computer Science
 Univ. of Illinois

weemba@brahms (Matthew P Wiener) (10/23/86)

Expires:

Wow.  I am impressed.  I thought in the past year that I have seen it all.
And done a goodly chunk of it.  And now some ignorant dweeb from Illinois
flames William Thurston.  Of all the people in the world.  Wow wow wow.

I thought Tim Maroney set an unbeatable low with his endless articles on
Heinlein.  But you with your single article have Tim and his dogged re-
fusal to comprehend the obvious outclassed by miles.

I'm impressed.

Anyway, on with the show.

For sci.misc and talk.politics.misc readers who did not see the originals
in net.math, William Thurston had a brief article concerning the stated
subject line--"military funding in mathematics".  I am directing all
followups out of sci.math, for obvious reasons.

In article <9600044@uiucdcsp> some dweeb from U Illinois says:

>Why, pray tell, is this trend so "unhealthy and dangerous" for math
>and society.  It really irritates me when people make such outrageous
>and unsubstantiated claims.  The least you could do is provide *some*
>thread of evidence - if such exists.

He did.  He offered to e-mail anyone a copy of his forthcoming paper
on the subject.  Did you take him up on the offer?  Uh, duhuh.

(I have not seen Thurston's article, as I subscribe to the journal it
is due to appear in.)

This trend--the increased presence of the military in the funding of
mathematics (and science, by the by)--is a good way to

 o drive good people away from the field who object to militarization
   in the first place

What's our dweeb's response to that?  Tough toodles, who needs them?
It's a good thing the Nazis took that attitude, or THEY would have had
an atomic bomb.

 o make mathematical/scientific funding subservient to random political
   winds

If our next president cancels SDI, do a lot of researchers who switched
fields for the bucks suddenly find themselves too late in a bloated field?

Why should optics suddenly get flooded with funds, and particle physics
have to beg?

 o introduce spurious and harmful efforts to classify university research

The NSA has tried to do this.  The SDI folks have suggested the same.

 o cut off funding/research for those with outspoken opinions

This has in fact occurred a few times.  The Oppenheimer case stands
out particularly.  A recent researcher at your own school, if I
remember correctly, was threatened with non-access to the Cray there
because he signed an anti-SDI pledge.  That sort of bullying was SOP
for Nazi Germany.  But AMERICA?  For crying out loud, whose side are
you on?

 o reduce international contacts among scientists

Or do you think "their" scientists deserve to be kept uninformed of new
purely scientific discoveries?  Watch out, because it can boomerang.

 o introduce uncertainty to the openness of conferences

Several conferences have in the past years received last minute orders
to keep some talks American/American-friend-only, even though the topics
are in themselves unclassified.

 o increase the bureaucracy for researchers

Does this need to be explained in detail, dweebie?  I wouldn't be sur-
prised, considering how difficult it is for you to see the obvious.  It
is bad enough dealing with OMB/NSF all on their own.

In the end, if the trend continues, the military brass will be happy,
shuffling their paperwork funding approvals, but the best minds of our
generation will be elsewhere.  Surely you heard about the genius at
Livermore who designed the X-ray laser quit when he realized that his
weapon was not really going to be useful defensively, but that it
would make a great offensive weapon.  Actually, he himself is keeping
mum about his exact reasons, but he has not denied these assertions.

So DoD will become bloated with second-rate epigones, and our defense
will suffer for it.

In the immortal words of the late Edward Morgan Blake, "and then Ozzy
here is going to be the smartest man on the cinder."

By the way, do you want to know why the Soviets are so scared of SDI?
Because it's a great offensive weapon: ASAT & anti-CCCI, in less than
a second.  Total destruction ala James Bond "Diamonds are Forever" is
not needed--just a touch and those delicate objects are useless.  It
obviously can't work as a defensive weapon, since if the Soviets do
want to attack us, they first blow up several nuclear bomb satellites,
whose resulting EMP would paralyze SDI instantly, and THEN they launch
their ICBMs.  With enough shovels, they can protect their silos from
the EMP.  And it's dirt cheap for them too.

By the way, Illinois dweeb, I freelance for a certain DoD related
agency now and then.  I'm proud of the classified work done there.
But if our country turns into another Soviet Union from the inside
out, why bother defending it in the first place?  Or is that too
rhetorical for you.

I personally do not object to SOME military funding for the sciences,
or some scientific research done for the military.  Indeed, it is very
easy to point out examples where this has been extremely beneficial in
the long run.  What is so distressing is the extreme excess that is
presently being thrown around, completely distorting all sense of
perspective.

I really should not have used any name-calling in the above, but I am
still so completely astonished/annoyed at the new supreme low in net
intelligence that you have set.  Congratulations.

If you read sci.math and don't know who William Thurston is, I suggest
you unsubscribe and save yourself future embarrassment.  Woof.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
 If my answers sound confusing, I think they are confusing because the
 questions are confusing, and the situation is confusing and I'm not in
 a position to clarify it.     -Ron Ziegler, former Disneyland employee

larsen@brahms (Michael Larsen) (10/23/86)

In article <9600044@uiucdcsp> ashby@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  7:58 pm  Oct 16, 1986 by wpt@princeton.UUCP in uiucdcsp:net.math *
>/* ---------- "military funding in mathematics" ---------- */
>  There has been a rapid increase in military funding in mathematics
>  recently.  Many mathematicians are disturbed by this trend,
>  as unhealthy for the discipline and unhealthy and dangerous
>  for society at large.
>/* End of text excerpt from uiucdcsp:net.math */
>
>Why, pray tell, is this trend so "unhealthy and dangerous" for math
>and society.  It really irritates me when people make such outrageous
>and unsubstantiated claims.  The least you could do is provide *some*
>thread of evidence - if such exists.
>
>-Steven Ashby
> Dept. of Computer Science
> Univ. of Illinois

Well, we can speculate about some of the possible unhealthy and dangerous con-
sequences of the trend:

1)	Pure mathematics.  The purer it is, the less it is apt to be
funded by the military.  Since most people prefer to work on problems for which
they can get funding, this introduces the risk of systematic distortion of the
subject over time.

2)	Secrecy.  The applied problems of greatest interest to the military
are precisely those where classification is most likely to become a problem.
Science thrives on free exchange of information.  Moreover, certain important
problems, like program verification and computer security, have industrial
as well as military application.  It would be nice for the literature on these
subjects to remain in the public domain.

3)	Control of universities.  He who pays the piper calls the tune.
Eisenhower warned of the dangers of the military-industrial complex.  In his
day, the specter of a military-industrial-educational complex had not yet
appeared.

4)	Reduced international ties.  Collaborations between scientists
from different countries are more frequent in mathematics than in any other
subject.  Security considerations could destroy this state of affairs.
A distinguished mathematician of my acquaintance was once dissuaded by
the State Department from attending a conference in Eastern Europe.  He
had done secret work on cryptography during World War II.

5)	Guilt by association.  Some people don't like doing research for
an organization involved in figuring out ways of killing people, even if
their own work has no such application.  This would not matter so much except
that these people are often the leaders in their fields.  Thurston, who
posted the first letter on this subject, won a Fields Medal for his work on
3-manifolds.  Other world class mathematicians who are on record for their
opposition to military funding of research include Tate and Rapaport.  The
subject cannot afford to lose its best people because they are boycotting
the military.

6)	Gresham's Law.  Bad money drives out good.  We should not think
of military funding as an addition to existing sources of money, but as
a replacement.  To expect private philanthropy and NSF support to remain
constant in the face of rising military support of science is to live in
a dream world.

dko@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) (10/24/86)

Newsgroups: sci.misc,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Re: military funding in mathematics
		------ Article from Weemba -----
In article <48@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
>Wow.  I am impressed.  I thought in the past year that I have seen it all.
>And done a goodly chunk of it.  And now some ignorant dweeb from Illinois
>flames William Thurston.  Of all the people in the world.  Wow wow wow.
>
>	In article <9600044@uiucdcsp> some dweeb from U Illinois says:
>	Why, pray tell, is this trend so "unhealthy and dangerous" for math
>	and society.  It really irritates me when people make such outrageous
>	and unsubstantiated claims.  The least you could do is provide *some*
>	thread of evidence - if such exists.
>
>He did.  He offered to e-mail anyone a copy of his forthcoming paper
>on the subject.  Did you take him up on the offer?  Uh, duhuh.
		------ End of Weemba posting ------

I would hardly call the poster from Illinois ignorant.  He precisely
pointed out that the original article did not, in itself, justify the
opinion presented.

	There has been a rapid increase in military funding in mathematics
     *  recently.  Many mathematicians are disturbed by this trend,
     *  as unhealthy for the discipline and unhealthy and dangerous
     *  for society at large.  A group of us is seeking ways to reverse
	this trend.  I've written an article on the subject, which will
	probably appear in the January Notices of the AMS.  There will also
	be a panel discussion (in which I am involved) at the joint
	meeting of the AMS-MAA in San Antonio.  Resolutions will be put
	forward on the floor concerning SDI (star wars) and military
	in general.  I would like to hear from people with information
	related to military funding.  I will be happy to surface-mail a copy
	of my article to anyone who sends an address; if you are interested
	in distributing copies locally, I will e-mail the TeX source.
		------ End of original article ---

Yes, Mr. Thurston will send a copy of his paper to interested parties, but
does the rest of the posting justify his opinion? The paper Mr. Thurston
has written most likely contains the nessesary justifications, but his
usenet posting most certainly does not.

Don't read this as a yea or nay vote on the subject, I just don't see why Mr.
Wiener (weemba@brahms) attempts to flay each and every poster with whom he
disagrees.  Post your opinions, I'll read them, but don't post articles meant
to demean the person on the other end.  This serves no useful purpose and
simply detracts from the discussion at hand.
--
Dan O'Neill		uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|ucbvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!dko
(619) 587-3112		arpa: "calmasd!dko"@ucsd.arpa

weemba@brahms (Matthew P Wiener) (10/24/86)

In article <2097@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP> dko@calmasd.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) posts
the same article three times--learn how to cross-post please!:

>I would hardly call the poster from Illinois ignorant.  He precisely
>pointed out that the original article did not, in itself, justify the
>opinion presented.

Nonsense.  The Illinois dweeb said he was *really irritated* by "outrageous
and unsubstantiated claims".  Asking that the *least* that could be done is
that a thread of evidence be provided, with the remark "if such exists", is
practically a direct insult to William Thurston's intelligence.

>						      I just don't see why Mr.
>Wiener (weemba@brahms) attempts to flay each and every poster with whom he
>disagrees.

Such is balderdash.  I only flame the bigoted, the rude, and the liars.  If
you don't like it, unsubscribe.

I am directing followups to talk.politics.misc, the only group where flaming
is not out of the way.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

jml@cs.strath.ac.uk (Joseph McLean) (10/27/86)

With all this argument for and against military funding of mathematics,or
for and against some military funding,I would like to point out the
following.Before this,bear in mind that being from Britain,the SDI
doesn't particularly affect me,and that I am not expressing my own
opinions in this article.

   During the French revolution,arguably the six greatest mathematicians
of the period worked for the new France either in technical capacity or
for teaching.The six are Lagrange,Legendre,Laplace,Monge,Condorcet and
Carnot.I could even throw in Fourier and Poisson.Either directly or
indirectly these mathematicians,whether politically motivated or not,
either taught in military academies,went on campaigns as technical
advisors,or even took up influential political positions.
  Without these mathematicians,mathematics in general would probably be
several decades behind its present position.
  Thus there are some things to point out:-
1)Military crises directly encourage mathematics.
2)Mathematics doesn't win wars.
3)Mathematicians come in every conceivable political attitude.
4)There's no accounting for taste.

I hope this is borne in mind in future arguments.

    ---jml,the historical mathematician.

"Anti-right,anti-left,anticipate the love of creation."

Being anti-war and non-pacifist at the same time.

leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/27/86)

I am rather shocked by the arrogance of "weemba"'s response.

I have spent a great deal of time studying (and working against) SDI
funding.  But I think his response was generally offensive to people from
Illinois (or at the University of Illinois in particular).  Before you
name us "ignorant dweebs" and imply that students here do not have the
ethical maturity to have opinions on the subject, perhaps you might take a
few minutes to recall that it was the greatest American scientists of
the 40's who brought us the terror that SDI is supposed to protect us
against.

Obviously, being from Berkeley (or even being the Fields medalist) does not
necessarily imply a better appeciation of the philosophy of science.

-Ben Leimkuhler

ashby@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/27/86)

Please see sci.misc and/or talk.politics.misc for my response
to Weemba's recent criticism of me.

weemba@brahms (Matthew P Wiener) (10/29/86)

Expires:

In article <9600045@uiucdcsp> leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>	   But I think his response was generally offensive to people from
>Illinois (or at the University of Illinois in particular).

You must be kidding.  You have to be some sort of dweeb yourself to believe
that calling one person from UI a dweeb is calling everyone there a dweeb.
Or is this some meaning of dweeb that I am not familiar with?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (11/02/86)

>Mathematics doesn't win wars.

False.