[sci.math] pentagons in squares

jml@cs.strath.ac.uk (Joseph McLean) (11/05/86)

A pentagon can't be inscribed in a square ? Absurd.Whoever said that
all 5 corners of the pentagon need to touch the square ? The pentagon
can be made as small as necessary to fit inside the square so that
we know that a pentagon can be inscribed.The object is then to find
the largest such.See postings by Dave desJardins and myself in
net.math.

  jml.

richl@penguin.uss.tek.com (Rick Lindsley) (11/08/86)

Joseph McLean writes:
> A pentagon can't be inscribed in a square ? Absurd.Whoever said that
> all 5 corners of the pentagon need to touch the square ?

My definition of "inscribe", from Webster's, states that all vertices
of the inscribed polygon must touch a boundary of the polygon in
which it is inscribed.

Makes sense, when you think about it. Or else, here's two inscribed
squares for you:

			+--+
			|  |
		     +--+--+
		     |  |
		     +--+

Who said that all 4 corners needed to touch the square? :-)

Rick