[sci.math] angels and devils

wpt@princeton.UUCP (William Thurston) (10/17/86)

John Conway is at Princeton this year, and he has a great stock of
interesting questions.  Here is an unsolved problem:

Imagine a universe consisting of planets arrayed at the grid points
of an infinite plane.  On one of the planets, an angel is sitting.
Every day, the angel can fly off to another planet, but the angel's
range is limited to a distance of (say) 100.

Unfortunately, there is a devil in the universe.  Every day, the devil
can destroy a planet, anywhere in the universe.

Can the angel forever avoid being trapped?

Bill Thurston    ...!princeton!wpt

nair@unc.UUCP (Anil Nair) (10/20/86)

  Does anyone remember the article on Core Wars in one of the
  Computer Games column in Scientific American . That had a
  similar problem played on a 1-dimensional array . For
  practical purposes , they had a finite circular array ; but
  you can think of a conceptual infinite one dimensional
  array .

  The angel and devil would be two programs on the array playing
  a particular strategy . Drawing the analogy to this situation ,
  you can have other strategies for the angel and the devil in
  this matrix .

  I am sorry ,  but I don't have an answer as to who will win
  even in the 1-dimensional case . If I remember right , the
  article had statistical info on who wins most of the time .

  Anil Nair - UNC

kaden@osiris.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/20/86)

		Pick square region N. Then sufficiently,

			400Nd <= N/2
			    d <= 1/800

		would work. However, d = 100 is not -->
		zero.

wpt@princeton.UUCP (William Thurston) (10/21/86)

Since there hasn't been much response yet to the angels and devils question
I posted a few days ago, I'll add a little more.  The original question
is probably very difficult:

	Imagine a universe consisting of planets arrayed at the grid points
	of an infinite plane.  On one of the planets, an angel is sitting.
	Every day, the angel can fly off to another planet, but the angel's
	range is limited to a distance of (say) 100.

	Unfortunately, there is a devil in the universe.  Every day, the devil
	can destroy a planet, anywhere in the universe.

	Can the angel forever avoid being trapped?

``Fools rush in where angels fear to tread''

There is a variation of the angel, called a fool, who, at the advice of the
hobgoblin of small minds, only travels forward through the stars:
the fool only travels in directions between north-east and north-west.
[Any resemblance to well-known people alive or dead is purely accidental.]

Find a strategy for the devil to trap the fool.  Hint: for maximum jump-size

                                   4*100*100
100, the devil needs no more than 2            rounds to trap the fool.

	Bill Thurston    ...!princeton!wpt
	Mathematics Department
	Princeton University
	Princeton NJ 08544

kevins@dartvax.UUCP (Kevin M. Schofield) (10/21/86)

In article <2056@princeton.UUCP> wpt@princeton.UUCP writes:
>Imagine a universe consisting of planets arrayed at the grid points
>of an infinite plane.  On one of the planets, an angel is sitting.
>Every day, the angel can fly off to another planet, but the angel's
>range is limited to a distance of (say) 100.
>
>Unfortunately, there is a devil in the universe.  Every day, the devil
>can destroy a planet, anywhere in the universe.
>
>Can the angel forever avoid being trapped?

After spending some time pondering this wonderful question, I concluded
that the angel can indeed forever avoid being trapped. There are 2 ways
that the angel could be trapped:
	1. by walking into a "trap", i.e. a region completely
	enclosed except for 1 opening which the devil could remove in
	1 turn.
	2. by being completely enclosed by a wall on all four sides.

Assuming the angel is intelligent, it will not "walk" on its own volition
into a trap. Also, it is impossible for the devil to "force" the angel to
move in any particular direction; thus we can forget about traps.

Now still assuming the angel is intelligent, when it sees that a box is
being constructed around it, it heads at full speed towards the perimiter
of the box and then moves around it, it is not too difficult to prove
that the angel can get to the perimiter and find an opening before the
devil can complete the box.

What seems like a much more interesting question is when the angel is
limited to moves to adjacent grid points. I'm still working on this one,
and any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...

                         -Kevin

             "There may be no heaven,
                        but somewhere there is a San Francisco."

             Kevin M. Schofield '88
             email:  {decvax,ihnp4} !dartvax!kevins
		     kevins@dartmouth.EDU
             U.S. Mail:
                 College: H.B. 2908, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755
                 Real World:  1851 Vallejo Street, St.Helena, CA 94574

jaw@aurora.UUCP (James A. Woods) (10/22/86)

# "Resist the devil, and he will flee" -- James 4:7
# "Philosophy will clip an angel's wings. " -- John Keats
# "The devil is an angel too." -- Miguel de Unamuno (1864-1936)

     The one-dimensional case is easy; the devil picks a sufficiently large
distance from the angel at the initial point, methodically destroys
100 planets in a line, watches the angel hop wherever she pleases, repeats
the same on the other side, then entraps her with a random squeeze between
the barriers.

     For the n-dimensional case, we defer to the intriguing exercise in
Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy's "Winning Ways, part 2 (Games in Particular)".
Conway, et. al., teases us with a claim by T. Koerner that the angel
can escape on the hypercube, but how this might apply to 2D is nebulous.
This kind of result has the flavor of the Poincare Conjecture, where higher
dimensional results trickle in first (Smale, n>=5, Freedman, n=4, ?, n=3).
[Mr. T -- do you believe this has been fully resolved?]

     The book by Berlekamp (world's Dots-and-Boxes champ, among other things),
Conway (poser, and part solver of the computation-universality of Life),
and Guy (Alpine climbing Sprague-Grundy theorist), is highly recommended
for its refreshing style, and merits discussion in the likes of Scientific
American's Mathematical Recreations.

     -- James A. Woods (ames!jaw)

btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) (10/22/86)

Of course the angel can always avoid being trapped... it is sort of like
that game where you chase each other around a computer screen trying to
cut each other off... (see also, Tron motorcycle races (?))... perhaps a
(an) intuitive stategy would be to just continue moving away from the center
of mass (nonmass) of the destroyed planets... what can a devil possibly do?
As long as the angel has a range of 100 and the devil can only destroy one
planet per day... Yes, it does seem to get more interesting if you change
the rules... angel gets a range of R, and devil can destroy N planets per
day... (less than N=8, with R=1, right?)...

	Ah, this side of Paradise...

					Brad Banko
					Cleveburg, Ohio
--
Bradley T. Banko

td@alice.UucP (Tom Duff) (10/23/86)

>Of course the angel can always avoid being trapped... it is sort of like
>that game where you chase each other around a computer screen trying to
>cut each other off... (see also, Tron motorcycle races (?))... perhaps a
>(an) intuitive stategy would be to just continue moving away from the center
>of mass (nonmass) of the destroyed planets... what can a devil possibly do?

No such simple strategy can possibly solve this problem.  The devil has
too much mobility.  This particular strategy is easy to break:
The devil can maintain a configuration that's as close as possible
to symmetric about the angel's starting point.  On those moves where the devil
is forced to off-balance the configuration, he can force the angel following
this strategy to go any direction he wants -- in particular, he can keep him
running around in small circles around the origin forever.  Eventually, the
devil will fill in a donut too wide for the angel to jump.

The angel must come up with much more subtle strategy than this to win.
If you think this problem is easy enough to rattle of a solution while
following up netnews without thinking about it for a week or so, you're
foolishly mistaken.  If JH Conway doesn't know the answer, years after
publishing the question, then it is surely an extremely difficult problem.

vis@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Tom Courtney) (10/24/86)

In article <5283@dartvax.UUCP> kevins@dartvax.UUCP (Kevin M. Schofield) writes:

>After spending some time pondering this wonderful question, I concluded
>that the angel can indeed forever avoid being trapped. There are 2 ways
>that the angel could be trapped:
>	1. by walking into a "trap", i.e. a region completely
>	enclosed except for 1 opening which the devil could remove in
>	1 turn.
>	2. by being completely enclosed by a wall on all four sides.

Remember that it has be a thick wall, since the angel can jump over walls
thinner than its range.

>Assuming the angel is intelligent, it will not "walk" on its own volition
>into a trap. Also, it is impossible for the devil to "force" the angel to
>move in any particular direction; thus we can forget about traps.

Not clear. Suppose the devil could almost build a wall around the angel by
force, and that the angel escaped by one move. Then its subsequent moves are
being forced by the devil: he can't go back the way he came.

>Now still assuming the angel is intelligent, when it sees that a box is
>being constructed around it, it heads at full speed towards the perimiter
>of the box and then moves around it, it is not too difficult to prove
>that the angel can get to the perimiter and find an opening before the
>devil can complete the box.
>
>What seems like a much more interesting question is when the angel is
>limited to moves to adjacent grid points. I'm still working on this one,
>and any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...

An angel with a range of one casts doubt on your escape the box assertion.
Imagine the following situation:

			...W...
			..W.W..
			.W...W.
			W2.A..W
			.W1..W.
			..W.W..
			...W...

A = angel; W = wall the devil would like to build; . = undestroyed planet;
1 = edge position; 2 = corner position.

If the devil could blow up all the W planets, the angel would be trapped. Can
this situation be achieved? Yes. First, the devil starts by detonating planets
on the wall. If the angel stays, it gets trapped, so it moves to escape the
prison. Suppose it moves to a section of wall remarkably devoid of detonations
(remember I didn't require the devil to be clever about the first two). There
are two possibilities: either the angel hits an edge or a corner. If he hits a
edge (1), the devil blows up a piece of wall in front of him. If he hits a
corner (2), the devil blows up the vertice. When the angel enters the wall
the devil blows up the piece of wall nearest the angel not already detonated.

So let the angel go for the southwest wall (they are of course, symmetrical).
At worst, the situation will now look like:

			...DOOOOOW
			..N.AOOOW.
			.N...DOW..
			N.....W...
			.N...N....
			..N.N.....
			...N......

O = old prison attempt; N = new prison attempt. D = destroyed planet.

Going back into the old prison attempt must be wrong, so the angel enters the
new prison attempt, and this one traps him. Its hard to explain, but easy to
see: 1) don't detonate the entrance to the old prison attempt until the end;
2) detonate any section of wall the angel gets to; 3) Don't detonate a vertice
unless an angel gets to it; 4) when the angel is not next to a wall,
detonate edge planets not next to detonated planets. I think I should probably
tighten up rule 4 by having the devil blow up non-adjacent planets the angel
is moving towards, but 5 minutes with a pieces of graph paper and a pebble
are sufficient to get the method down perfectly.

Now on to the case where the range of the angel is 2! Well, first I'm going to
work out the case where the angel gets 2 1 range moves per detonation. But that
will be some other night.

stirling@fortune.UUCP (Patrick Stirling) (10/25/86)

As a reminder, the problem is:
Planets arranged at the grid points on an infinite plane. An angel
is on a planet, and can travel up to 100 planets' distance in a day.
There is a devil who can destroy one planet anywhere each day. Can
the devil trap the angel?

>     The one-dimensional case is easy; the devil picks a sufficiently large
>distance from the angel at the initial point, methodically destroys
>100 planets in a line, watches the angel hop wherever she pleases, repeats
>the same on the other side, then entraps her with a random squeeze between
>the barriers.
>     -- James A. Woods (ames!jaw)

Surely this wouldn't work? The angel could travel parallel to the devil's
destruction line faster than the devil can destroy planets, and thus
escape out of the ends of the barriers.

Picture:

    line of destruction:   ---------------->
    line of escape:          ================>
    line of destruction    ---------------->

I think the devil can only win if the angel doesn't know where he is,
and if he can destroy enough planets to trap the angel before the
angel realizes the situation (e.g by destroying a circle of planets
around the angel). An analogous problem would be: Two people on an infinite
flat plane, one with bricks and mortar. Can the builder build a wall around
the other before the other can run away? I don't think so.
patrick
{ihnp4, hplabs, amdcad, ucbvax!dual}!fortune!stirling

btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) (10/26/86)

Yes, thank you for the rejoinder to my "foolish" man's solution to Professor
Conway's problem... by the way, is he a Princeton man?  I envy the feeling of
pride that having such a man back "home" brings... ok, so the simple strategy
won't work... give me a week... I'll solve it... (maybe not)
	Thanks for the interesting problem to ponder.

			Brad Banko
			Cleveland, Ohio
			...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb

--
Bradley T. Banko

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) (10/27/86)

In article <126@fortune.UUCP> stirling@fortune.UUCP (Patrick stirling) writes:
>As a reminder, the problem is:
>Planets arranged at the grid points on an infinite plane. An angel
>is on a planet, and can travel up to 100 planets' distance in a day.
>There is a devil who can destroy one planet anywhere each day. Can
>the devil trap the angel?

Thank you. I'd missed the original problem. But you've got an
ambiguity: Can the angel teleport, or does it have to traverse the
intervening planets? If the latter, define "adjacent" for planets.

>>     The one-dimensional case is easy; the devil picks a sufficiently large
>>distance from the angel at the initial point, methodically destroys
>>100 planets in a line, watches the angel hop wherever she pleases, repeats
>>the same on the other side, then entraps her with a random squeeze between
>>the barriers.
>>     -- James A. Woods (ames!jaw)
>
>Surely this wouldn't work? The angel could travel parallel to the devil's
>destruction line faster than the devil can destroy planets, and thus
>escape out of the ends of the barriers.

Key words: "one-dimensional case." The devil can actually do better in
this case: Destroy 100 planets in a row, centered on the angels start
point. Now, destroy one hundred planets in a row between 10,000 and
10,100 planets away from the angel in the direction away from the
first patch of non-planets.

	<mike

bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) (10/29/86)

> As a reminder, the problem is:
> Planets arranged at the grid points on an infinite plane. An angel
> is on a planet, and can travel up to 100 planets' distance in a day.
> There is a devil who can destroy one planet anywhere each day. Can
> the devil trap the angel?

I know this probably isn't a total solution to the Angel and Devil problem
and I'm not being rigorous, but this is a possible way of approaching the
solution...

Assumption:

The problem is solvable in a one dimensional case.  This is effectively a
case where there is only a single row of planets stretching on to
infinity.  ie.:

     <--............A..................-->

In this case, is is provable that the devil can trap the angel by building
a single block of 100 anywhere and then building another block of 100 at
least 100*100*2 spaces away and then slowly closing in on the angel.

From this follows:

In the case of a space consisting of 2 rows of planets, it is also
possible for the devil to trap the angel.

   <--- ...............A.................... --->

This is done by building a block 100 unit wide and 2 deep and then
building another block (100*100*2)*2 away from the first block and then
slowly closing in.

For a set of arbitrary number of rows, the two stopping blocks must be
located (100*100*2)*N units away from each other.

Therefore: since a two dimensional field is in reality just equivalent to
the case where the number of rows (N) goes to infinity, the blocks must
be built an infinite distance from each other and therefore, the angel
cannot be trapped.

I would be very interested to hear anyone else's comments on this
solution.

Bernie Gunther

UUCP: {ihnp4, harvard, genrad, ...}!mit-eddie!mck-csc!bmg
ARPA: bmg@mit-xx

In article <188@mck-csc.UUCP> bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) writes:
>Therefore: since a two dimensional field is in reality just equivalent to
>the case where the number of rows (N) goes to infinity, the blocks must
>be built an infinite distance from each other and therefore, the angel
>cannot be trapped.

The fallacy in this reasoning can be schematized as:
	Method "A" works in the 1-dimensional case.
	One possible way of extending method "A" to the 2-dimensional case
	doesn't work.
	Therefore no method will work for the 2-dimensional case.
For the conclusion to be valid, additional lemmas would be needed:
	No method other than "A" works in the 1-dimensional case.
	The way of extending method "A" to the 2-dimensional case is
	essentially unique.
But these points weren't demonstrated and they're not obvious.

I think this is a really hard problem, and intuitive approaches aren't
likely to solve it.  I suggest having a local mathematician check any
proposed solution before posting it, to avoid wasting people's time.

jml@cs.strath.ac.uk (Joseph McLean) (10/31/86)

The original problem gave the angel a maximum of 100 planets in one jump
each angel's move being in a single direction,i.e.in a single move the
angel can't zig-zag.Let's generalise to the number of planets the angel
is allowed to jump in a move as n.In the one-dimensional case the devil
can trap the angel for all finite n.Thus we have the two-dimensional case.
Can anyone give a strategy by the devil that will work whatever the angel
does,for a particular n (that might not be 100) ? Or does the value of
n matter to the eventual possible success or failure of the devil ?
e.g.consider n=1.Is there an easy way for the devil to trap the angel ?

Cogitate and masticate.

   jml,the thought-provoking mathematician.

(Who are I kidding?)

trost@reed.UUCP (Bill Trost) (11/01/86)

I have a problem that is somewhat similar to this problem.  Imagine quantity
of hunters on a "very large" section of a plane (very large => boundary
cases are neglibible).  Now, each hunter shoots his nearest neighbor.
Question:  How many hunters remain living?

This question can be put into the 3-dimensional and 1-dimensional cases as
well.  The 1-d case is fairly easy:  half the hunters will get shot by one
hunter, a fourth will get shot by two, and a fourth will survive.
--
.signature, aka "Reed College", aka "tektronix!reed!trost"

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (11/03/86)

In article <188@mck-csc.UUCP>, bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) writes:
> For a set of arbitrary number of rows, the two stopping blocks must be
> located (100*100*2)*N units away from each other.
  . . .
> the case where the number of rows (N) goes to infinity, the blocks must
> be built an infinite distance from each other and therefore, the angel
> cannot be trapped.

This proves that that particular algorithm for the devil won't work in
the 2 dimensional case.  You haven't proved that *no* algorithm exists
to trap the angel.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

avg@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Allen Van Gelder) (11/03/86)