[sci.math] a mathematical problem in psi

rpjday@watrose.UUCP (rpjday) (11/10/86)

  Now that the furor about my original posting requesting analog models
of computation has died down, how about another problem -- the use of
statistics in psychic experiments (this is a MATHEMATICAL article, so just
keep reading).
  I'm sure that we are all familiar with the 25-card deck that is commonly
used to test psychic ability.  There are 5 shapes used, with 5 of each shape
in the deck (wavy lines, cross ... whatever).  Since the subject knows the
shapes and their frequency distributions, we would expect that, just by
guessing, any subject should get 5 out of 25 correct.  Nothing deep here.
But this takes into account that the subject does not get any feedback.
We could imagine that there are two kinds of feedback he may receive:

	1) He may be told whether he is correct or not.
	2) He may actually be shown the card.

  Based on either of the above types of feedback, what is the expected number
of "hits" now?  I'm more interested in this value for case 2).  The strategy
in case 2) seems clear (at least to me).  The subject keeps track of which
cards have come up, and always guesses the shape for which there are the most
cards left in the deck.  This, however, does not supply the expected
number of hits.  Anyone have an answer and the accompanying justification?

  On a different note, psyshic experimenters also like to bandy about the
phrase "psi missing", when the subject does particularly poorly (eg. 1 or 2
hits out of 25).  Given the feedback in case 2), how can a subject get the
LOWEST possible score and what is the expected value of this score?

DISCLAIMER:  Yeah, sure, it's mine, so what?

bdm@anucsd.OZ (Brendan McKay) (11/17/86)

In article <8250@watrose.UUCP>, rpjday@watrose.UUCP (rpjday) writes:

(paraphrased by bdm):
> Take a deck containing 5 cards each of 5 different shapes: 25 cards in all.
> "The subject" guesses which shape is on each card, one at a time.
> If no feedback occurs, and the subject isn't psychic, the expected number
> of correct guesses is 5 out of 25.
>
> One the other hand, if the subject is shown each card after guessing its
> value, that information can be used to raise or lower the expected score.
> By how much?

If the subject always guesses a shape for which the number in the deck is
least, the expected number of correct guesses out of 25 is about 2.296063
(surprisingly small!).
If the subject always guesses a shape for which the number in the deck is
greatest, the expected number of correct guesses is about 8.646753.

I think the exact values are 2048941091/892371480 and
23148348523/2677114440, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Outline of method:
    At an arbitrary point of time, let r[1],...,r[5] be the number of
cards of shapes 1,...,5 left in the deck.  Thus exactly 25-(r[1]+...+r[5])
cards have been dealt so far.  The probability of having exactly these
shape counts at this point is
        B(5,r[1]) * B(5,r[2]) * B(5,r[3]) * B(5,r[4]) * B(5,r[5])
P(r)=   --------------------------------------------------------- ,
		     B(25,r[1]+r[2]+r[3]+r[4]+r[5])
where B(n,k) is the binomial coefficient n choose k.
The probability of the subject making a correct guess at this point is G(r),
where either  G(r) = min(r[1],...,r[5])/(r[1]+...+r[5]) or
G(r) = max(r[1],...,r[5])/(r[1]+...+r[5]), depending on the strategy.
Now sum P(r)*G(r) over all possible values of r[1],...,r[5].

The full distributions are rather harder to work out, although the variance
wouldn't be all that difficult.

lambert@mcvax.uucp (Lambert Meertens) (11/19/86)

In article <234@anucsd.OZ> bdm@anucsd.OZ (Brendan McKay) writes:

> In article <8250@watrose.UUCP>, rpjday@watrose.UUCP (rpjday) writes:
> (paraphrased by bdm):
>> Take a deck containing 5 cards each of 5 different shapes: 25 cards in all.
>> "The subject" guesses which shape is on each card, one at a time.  [...]
>> One the other hand, if the subject is shown each card after guessing its
>> value, that information can be used to raise or lower the expected score.
>> By how much?
> [...]  I think the exact values are 2048941091/892371480 and
> 23148348523/2677114440, but I wouldn't swear to that.

I obtained the same exact values using a different computational strategy
(computing the result "bottom up", using a recurrence relation over the
shape distributions).
--

Lambert Meertens, CWI, Amsterdam; lambert@mcvax.UUCP