[sci.math] List of primes 1 to 10^6 wanted

zappe@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Hans P. Zappe) (05/28/87)

I'm looking for a list of all primes from 1 to a million or so;
preferably this would exist on a disk suitable for an IBM PC. If
anyone knows where I might obtain something like this, please be so
kind and send me any information via e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Hans

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::: Hans P. Zappe :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Solid State Group  -|-  EECS @ UC Berkeley  -|-  Berkeley, California

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (05/29/87)

In article <1588@ucbcad.berkeley.edu[ zappe@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Hans P. Zappe) writes:
[
[I'm looking for a list of all primes from 1 to a million or so;
[preferably this would exist on a disk suitable for an IBM PC. If
[anyone knows where I might obtain something like this, please be so
[kind and send me any information via e-mail.
[
Why do you need such a list? It should only take a few minutes to generate
anyway even on a PC. Use a sieve.

Bob Silverman

ems@apple.UUCP (05/30/87)

In article <1588@ucbcad.berkeley.edu>, zappe@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Hans P. Zappe) writes:

> I'm looking for a list of all primes from 1 to a million or so;
> preferably this would exist on a disk suitable for an IBM PC. If
> anyone knows where I might obtain something like this, please be so
> kind and send me any information via e-mail.

While bored one night ...

I decided to compute some prime numbers.  (We used them for setting sizes
of databases since the db size was used in the hashing code and primes gave
better hashes).

The first half million prime numbers fill about a foot of fanfold 132
column computer printout.  That is at the rate of 100 or so per page.

I have them on a nine track computer tape that is several years old and
covered in dust from a system that is not so common ...

I would suggest setting your pc to the task of calculating them during the
evening when noone is about.  The code to do it is about 30 lines long.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)