[sci.math] Computer composition of music

johnt@mmintl.UUCP (06/17/87)

Composing music -- procedurally
-------------------------------

Until 1981 I had been doing some research on computer composition
of music.  I have now taken up where I left off.  Even back then
I was not up to date with the latest advances.  A lot must have
happened in this field since then.

I want to contact people who know something about composing by
computer.  Some of the researchers I read about (like Max
Mathews, Lejaren Hiller, Iannis Xenakis, Stephen Smoliar to name
a few off the top of my head) must still be out there.  Also,
people like myself, who do this in their spare time, must have
ideas, suggestions, sources of information.  What about journals,
books, papers on the subject?

If anyone in net.land knows anything about computer composition
of music, or knows anyone who does, then I beg you to let me
know.  E-mail is most sensible.  Who knows?  Maybe we could end
up with our own news.group!  A phone call or Snailmail reply
would be most welcome too.

John Tangney                ...inhp4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!johnt
52 Oakland Ave, East Hartford, CT 06108.  Phone: (203) 522-2116

rapaport@sunybcs.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) (06/21/87)

In article <2198@mmintl.UUCP> johnt@mmintl.UUCP (John Tangney) writes:
>Some of the researchers I read about (like Max
>Mathews, Lejaren Hiller, Iannis Xenakis, Stephen Smoliar to name
>a few off the top of my head) must still be out there.

Lejaren Hiller is Prof. of Music at SUNY Buffalo and an adjunct prof. in
our CS dept.  His email address is muslah@buffalo.csnet